Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New NOOK HD+ 9" 32GB Tablet €144.96 + Parcel Motel

• 03-02-2014 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

Was looking for a tablet lately and stumbled accross this today.

eBay

Price is £114.99, delivery is free to UK so use parcel motel and the total price should be just under €150.
    It states its brand new, more than likely purchased in the USA, as i seen a few feedback saying how they received a US plug instead of an EU one, but does that really matter when its this cheap, and USB plug are cheap anyways.

The software was updated also, so it now has access to the play store so can install all available apps on play store.

Has an 9" screen at 1920 x 1280, with 256ppi(if you care about ppi :p)
    32GB storage with 28GB available to user.
    SD card expansion.
    Only 11.4mm thick and only 515g.
    Much lighter than the older iPad 4 which is 662g.

Although it has no camera, I don't see the need for a camera on a tablet anyways.

There is also an HDMI adaptor available to allow you to stream movies from your nook on your tv.(not sure does it mirror or not, but seen it working with movies purchased from the barnes and noble store.)

Cyanogenmod can be installed on these quite easily i believe and drastically improves performance.

FULL SPECS :
    Built in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth®
    9 inch HD display (1920 x 1280) - 256 pixels per inch
    1.5GHz dual core processor
    Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich OS
    1Gb RAM
    32GB internal memory holds up to 4,000 books
    Expand the memory with micro SD card slot up to 32Gb
    SRS TruMedia virtual surround sound
    Weight: 515g
    Size: 162 x 240 x 11.5 mm
    Nook HD+ 9 inch tablet - Slate Black
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

EDIT: sorry misread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭mcw92

tvercetti wrote: »
    If it comes from the US, won't they get stopped by customs?

Not sure what PM do then but won't it be another €30.

I meant as in the seller gets prob gets them from the US and sells them over here.

He's a UK based seller so theyll be coming from the UK.
    It does state in the description that it is an open box though but still brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cas2kx

I don't need another tablet but I'm so tempted to get this the reviews are really good....Why are you the devil ?

cas2kx wrote: »
    I don't need another tablet but I'm so tempted to get this the reviews are really good....Why are you the devil ?

Very sorry about that :D

Ya i decided yesterday that I wasn't going to buy a tablet, but then i found this.

Only negatives in a few reviews i found, were the lack of apps(that was before they released the play store onto it) and the skin ui taking getting used to(could use a new launcher or new rom even)

Estimated delivery for me(to parcel motel) was Wed-Fri, so hope to have in hand by the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I've heard that the stock OS on these is a big laggy and crap. BUT you can put a custom rom on it (cyanogenmod) that turns it into a great little tablet.

I'm very tempted myself even though I just bought a 7 inch a month ago!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

I have it a year now and its class. Screen is savage. Id get another for the gf if it had camera and mic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Dr Nic wrote: »
    I have it a year now and its class. Screen is savage. Id get another for the gf if it had camera and mic

Have you used the hdmi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

It doesn't have HDMI just a proprietary cable to USB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I own the 7" one. You're sacrificing some features but the screen is out of this world on them, really up there in terms of colour and contrast. I put Cyanogenmod on mine and going great.

Good price for that considering;

http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/jsp/editorial/browse/NOOK_HD_products.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pat_K

I've had my Nook HD+ about 6 months and it's great. The screen quality is great. The addition of google play gave a huge boost to apps (so not a weakness any more). I got mine in the US so it's a US plug with a simple converter (no need to change voltage as input range includes 220). I've the HDMI connection and it's worth it - I connect to 27" and stream netflix and it looks same as UPC. The negatives which I think are minor but worth telling you about - size is slightly smaller than ipad2 so can fit case though check as width is an inch less (getting cases for nook in Ireland is like stumbling across a dinosaur bone); it's file structure is odd (uploading files to SD card is a bit pain to locate - once you figure it out fine but not simple like apple set up); no mic or camera (Skype would be nice but not worth €100 more nice). Go for it, it's no nexus or ipad but better than kindle fire and other similar priced tablets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 cros

I have a HD+ for about 6 months now. For me, it's a close call between these and a Nexus 7 - especially given the price reductions on the latter.

Upsides: cheap (€120 at the time) truly excellent screen, micro SD slot, official CyanogenMod support, genuine 10 hour battery and weeks of standby

Downsides: no camera (but does have a mic, so Skype with audio works), proprietary USB connector, need to use a female-female USB block along with the supplied charging cable to use USB drives, 3G modems etc.

CM 10.2 aka Android 4.3 is smooth, reliable and generally flawless. It replaces the Nook software entirely and brings the full GApps suite and marketplace. Installing CM is easy enough, but probably not for everybody. Apparently a few mainstream games still fail to run or struggle with the hi-resolution screen and mediocre GPU, but I've never seen any issues.

Official CM 10.1 (4.2) also exists, as does a work-in-progress CM11 (4.4).

The Nook HD is pretty much the same as the HD+, but has a fractionally slower CPU, lower resolution screen and is easier to hold overall. 3D games probably run a bit better on it due to the reduction in resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Pat_K wrote: »
    I've had my Nook HD+ about 6 months and it's great. The screen quality is great. The addition of google play gave a huge boost to apps (so not a weakness any more). I got mine in the US so it's a US plug with a simple converter (no need to change voltage as input range includes 220). I've the HDMI connection and it's worth it - I connect to 27" and stream netflix and it looks same as UPC. The negatives which I think are minor but worth telling you about - size is slightly smaller than ipad2 so can fit case though check as width is an inch less (getting cases for nook in Ireland is like stumbling across a dinosaur bone); it's file structure is odd (uploading files to SD card is a bit pain to locate - once you figure it out fine but not simple like apple set up); no mic or camera (Skype would be nice but not worth €100 more nice). Go for it, it's no nexus or ipad but better than kindle fire and other similar priced tablets.

Use the nook UK shop and parcel motel for cases, stylus and charging kits, all official and only £5 http://www.nook.com/gb/store/accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Got one of these a month back and at the time I was torn between this and the nexus
    The bigger screen was the clincher
    It's amazing value for the specs
    My one downside so far is that when I initially put in the micro sad it read it fine but it doesn't work anymore
    I think this a known fault with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

mailburner wrote: »
    Got one of these a month back and at the time I was torn between this and the nexus
    The bigger screen was the clincher
    It's amazing value for the specs
    My one downside so far is that when I initially put in the micro sad it read it fine but it doesn't work anymore
    I think this a known fault with them

Try reformatting the ssd fully with: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

moodrater wrote: »
    Try reformatting the ssd fully with: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

thanks for this
    thought there was a problem as i formatted it already
    the first time i used the nook
    sorted now

Update on this, received the tablet yesterday.
    Was brand new with plastic still on, american plug received with adaptor for here.

Found it was quite sluggish at first but slowly it started to get a small bit faster.
    I was expecting better though, so i decided to go and flash cyanogenmod onto it, and have the 4.4 Kitkat version.
    (One thing to note, without installing cyanogenmod, you cannot install apps from unknown sources, ie. you cant install apps manually from the .apk you have downloaded)
    Installed it there about 3 hours ago, and its perfect.(Was very easy to install once i read up on it)
    It's much faster and fluid now. More functionality too with cyanogenmod.
    Don't have access to the Nook shop app at the minute but thats no worry to me.

Overall I think for the price its great. If you don't mind messing around abit, install cyanogenmod, and you basically have a 9" Nexus device(although slightly less powerful than a real nexus would be)

Advertisement