Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US billionaire calls out Ireland as "no one wants to live here"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Quoting crap weather and unfriendliness.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/youre-not-welcoming-and-no-one-wants-to-live-there-us-billionaire-blasts-ireland-39820146.html

I think he has some valid points. It is dull and depressing, not sure I agree on friendliness though.

his business is failing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bizarre comments really

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭Elite Genetics

his business is failing

Apparently he's one of the most successful and respected businessmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

his business is failing

Not sure how relevant that is to the point he’s making.

I’d tend to agree with him.food is ****e, people are nosey, not friendly and the weather speaks for itself. It’s an expensive place to live with high taxation on the worker.

Sure we’re great craic...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Not a lot wrong with what he said there tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Haha :D He is not wrong about the food and weather. It is often shyte but with moments of heart stopping revelation.
    I love this country and the people but the whole blather about the wonderful "Irish" is a bit condescending.
    I am not all that sad about him thinking we are unfriendly. A bit of honest Eastern European style grumpiness would do us no harm. The top o the morning milking the brim of the hat shyte has long worn thin.
    A few years ago I was having a month in Bulgaria and the locals were delightfully unimpressed and misanthropic. None of this licking your arse spiel. They could not give a toss where you were from, had barely the patience or interest to take your order, much less converse. I loved their honest humanity. I found the same in Hungary. Nobody putting on a show. Other countries too. I enjoy it. Plamas is unnerving. Let us be honest and unfriendly and grouchy and say fcuk you Mr Billionaire, like it or lump it, we are done pretending to be nice and oozy all the time like some creepy paedophile uncle. No more sycophancy.

I’d tend to agree with him.food is ****e, people are nosey, not friendly and the weather speaks for itself. It’s an expensive place to live with high taxation on the worker.

Very good points, he didn't mention taxation but housing prices and taxation are out of this world when you think about it. Public transport is crap and you're forced to use a car if you work anywhere outside the main commerce centres which means you're paying thousands for rip off insurance companies.

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Haha :D He is not wrong about the food and weather. It is often shyte but with moments of heart stopping revelation.
    I love this country and the people but the whole blather about the wonderful "Irish" is a bit condescending.
    I am not all that sad about him thinking we are unfriendly. A bit of honest Eastern European style grumpiness would do us no harm. The top o the morning milking the brim of the hat shyte has long worn thin.
    A few years ago I was having a month in Bulgaria and the locals were delightfully unimpressed and misanthropic. None of this licking your arse spiel. They could not give a toss where you were from, had barely the patience or interest to take your order, much less converse. I loved their honest humanity. I found the same in Hungary. Nobody putting on a show. Other countries too. I enjoy it. Plamas is unnerving. Let us be honest and unfriendly and grouchy and say fcuk you Mr Billionaire, like it or lump it, we are done pretending to be nice and oozy all the time like some creepy paedophile uncle. No more sycophancy.

Ireland looks great for the 5 days of great weather we have every year. Unfortunately places like Phoenix park and Wicklow mountains are completely overrun with hordes of humans which ruins the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Very good points, he didn't mention taxation but housing prices and taxation are out of this world when you think about it. Public transport is crap and you're forced to use a car if you work anywhere outside the main commerce centres which means you're paying thousands for rip off insurance companies.

How could I forget public transport , I’ll raise you a dysfunctional political system completely absorbed in self interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭JPCN1

I think he's a mate of Paddy Cosgrave, another deity of the tech world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

In fairness our home grown ingredients are top notch. If you can’t cook with them, buy in cheap retail outlets or eat in dodgy restaurants then yes, the food you’re eating is ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Tax and weather, sure. But food? There's never been more choice, whether restaurants (when open) or making your own. Someone who says the food is bad should eat something else. And I really can't believe we're significantly more unfriendly than anywhere else. Sounds like he made that up or hasn't had his backside licked enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

He ain't wrong. Terrible weather, poor food all spud based and a country where its not what you know its who you know regarding a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,015 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

. . . I think what he means by no one wants to live here is that the Irish themselves run away to Australia and Canada.
    Mmm. Hard to recognise with the observed reality that Ireland experiences substantial net immigration.
    Yeah, the standard whinges. While there are some points worth addressing here, the reality is that, tax-wise, Ireland is a bit over mid-range among OECD economies. And the comment that if you live outside the main commerce centres you don't have adequate public transport and are forced to run a car is not one which anyone in the US is well-positioned to level against Ireland.
    How could I forget public transport , I’ll raise you a dysfunctional political system completely absorbed in self interest.
    Again, these days, someone based in the US does not want to get into a pissing contest about which country has the more dysfunctional political system!

To be fair to Prince, as reported here he doesn't make any of these points. His comments are about the weather (which is odd; Ireland has one of the most benign climates in the world) and the food (OK, I'll give him that) and the fact that we're not very welcoming. That last one is interesting, since the stereotype is that Irish culture is very friendly and welcoming. I note that, per the newspaper report, he got push-back on that point in particular. Be interesting to hear him expand on what he means by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I'd say his own mother wouldn't give that flute much of a welcome. Sure this is a great country to live in

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vittu

We have so much going for us as a country. Safety is one. Multiple attacks on innocent people across a range of EU countries and the world by stabbing or driving into crowds etc. No wars or major corruption, education, healthcare. We are not the best but far from the worst. I think we love to whinge. I do wish we got more sunny days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I don't think I'd be too upset about it. Not only is the food in America terrible, but the entire food system is broken. Our weather is poor, but rarely dangerous. And as someone who has worked in a restaurant, some Americans think we are unfriendly because we are not extremely fake. I wouldn't take too much offense to country criticism from someone in the biggest laughing stock of a country on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

JPCN1 wrote: »
    I think he's a mate of Paddy Cosgrave, another deity of the tech world.

Makes a bit more sense after knowing that

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Mmm. Hard to recognise with the observed reality that Ireland experiences substantial net immigration.

Yeah, the standard whinges. While there are some points worth addressing here, the reality is that, tax-wise, Ireland is a bit over mid-range among OECD economies. And the comment that if you live outside the main commerce centres you don't have adequate public transport and are forced to run a car is not one which anyone in the US is well-positioned to level against Ireland.

Again, these days, someone based in the US does not want to get into a pissing contest about which country has the more dysfunctional political system!

To be fair to Prince, as reported here he doesn't make any of these points. His comments are about the weather (which is odd; Ireland has one of the most benign climates in the world) and the food (OK, I'll give him that) and the fact that we're not very welcoming. That last one is interesting, since the stereotype is that Irish culture is very friendly and welcoming. I note that, per the newspaper report, he got push-back on that point in particular. Be interesting to hear him expand on what he means by that.

In regards to cars, you cannot compare it. In the US, cost of fuel is not even considered an expense, that's why so many of them run these massive gas guzzler cars. Other things like motor tax and insurance doesn't exist in many states or at least is not mandatory which brings down the prices.

(which is odd; Ireland has one of the most benign climates in the world)

What do you mean benign? Is most of continental Europe suffering from massive earthquakes or tornadoes? What a bizzare comparison. I'm sure people would love some heatwaves every so often to enjoy the summer and not complain. He obviously meant cloudy skies and rain for150 - 240 days per year depending on your location.

Also regarding immigration, it's not people coming from countries like Germany, France or UK etc. vast majority is from poor eastern european countries so Ireland is like heaven in comparison. If you use the European minimum salary graph, you will see that living here on dole, you will make twice as much as someone working a full time job in many former warsaw pact countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

It's his opinion, maybe he is just one of those awful people and nobody likes him so it reflects on the experience he gets.

• Advertisement

Vittu wrote: »
    We have so much going for us as a country. Safety is one. Multiple attacks on innocent people across a range of EU countries and the world by stabbing or driving into crowds etc. No wars or major corruption, education, healthcare. We are not the best but far from the worst. I think we love to whinge. I do wish we got more sunny days though.

Limerick and Dublin are known as stab cities. In EU countries you're allowed pepper sprays and tasers, in some nations, firearms are permitted after licensing process so you at least have something to protect yourself with. In here you're just supposed to get stabbed so you better learn to run fast.

Also lol'd at healthcare, half of the country is on the waiting list and will likely perish before diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

We need to get over our obsessive need for validation, to be seen as being 'sound' ... to agonise over how we're perceived elsewhere.

Go on a tourists YouTube video guide OF Ireland, or a video guide which explains irish accents and sayings to outsiders and it's all Irish eejits in the comments.

And don't get me started on the 'sound irish football fans' changing peoples tyres and cutting people's lawns. Fkin CRINGE.

We're not that sound. Its a total veneer of fakeness which is a combination of the aforementioned need for validation mixed with an inferiority complex, blended with our total indirectness as a culture.

Speak to an immigrant in this country. Irish people are unbelievably cliquey and difficult to make good friends with after you crack past the first hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭sparkledrum

I can't understand why people are agreeing with him on food. I'm presuming he's talking about restaurant food. We have so much choice. It's a bit of a broad statement to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,247 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Ireland is a great place to live, work and bring up kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Public transport is crap and you're forced to use a car if you work anywhere outside the main commerce centres.

Sounds like the USA, where that guy is from.

Sounds like the USA, where that guy is from.

(which is odd; Ireland has one of the most benign climates in the world)

What do you mean benign? Is most of continental Europe suffering from massive earthquakes or tornadoes? What a bizzare comparison. I'm sure people would love some heatwaves every so often to enjoy the summer and not complain. He obviously meant cloudy skies and rain for150 - 240 days per year depending on your location.

You do get earthquakes is places like Greece and Italy. There even a few volcanoes about. Places get snowed in, there's heatwaves that kill hundreds of old people, flash flooding washing away villages. Our climate is boringly benign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

In fairness though people will never leave you stranded with a flat on the side of the road. Even last week some young farmer appeared out of nowhere during a howling tempest and I with a burst tyre in the dark on a dangerous turn of the road, and he helped without hardly a word and disappeared into the gales afterwards. We could be known as wild and morose dark-souled heroes like Heathcliff maybe... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Vittu wrote: »

Not the worst shouldn't be an achievement. Sure Dublin is better than Damascus or Baghdad but it's not competing with those cities either.

Just comparing EU capitals, would you rather live in Dublin, Lisbon, Berlin, London, Amsterdam etc?

We're high cost of living, high taxation, crap services, crap weather (although lots of EU cities have crap weather too tbf) and whilst I disagree with his opinion on us being very unfriendly, I think if you're new to Ireland, it can be hard to meet people and make friends.

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »
    You do get earthquakes is places like Greece and Italy. There even a few volcanoes about. Places get snowed in, there's heatwaves that kill hundreds of old people, flash flooding washing away villages. Our climate is boringly benign.

The chaos that goes on in Italy, volcanoes consuming cities whole. Thousands of people dying. How dare you?!

Advertisement