Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Green Bay Packers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

True.

Or he could have punched her so hard that she needed stitches. You have to concede that in all of this that is at least possible.

All we know for a fact is that she ended up injured. Yes it might have been an unfortunate accident.

She was the aggressor. She hit him first. She never reported the incident. I'm presuming ER staff called the cops:

The latest.
    Green Bay - Green Bay Packers linebacker Erik Walden apologized Tuesday afternoon for being a distraction to the team and said he hoped to get back to playing football soon.

A short time later, his attorney said that based on information he has gathered since Walden was arrested on suspicion of battery Friday morning, it's likely he won't be charged.

"From my investigation (he shouldn't be)," said attorney Steve Richards. "From what I know."

The Packers have not said whether they plan any disciplinary action for Walden after he was arrested on suspicion of felony substantial battery with a domestic violence enhancer. Walden was taken into custody after a dispute with his live-in girlfriend at their apartment in the Town of Lawrence left her with four stitches in her head from hitting a bedpost and an injured thumb.

The team's public relations staff made Walden available for a couple of questions inside the locker and the focus of his comments was an apology for taking attention away from the season.

"I want to apologize to the entire organization, my teammates and the fans," Walden said. "It's an ongoing process and I respect that process. It's just unfortunate that I brought something negative for so much positive that's going on with this organization. I'm cooperating fully."

On Monday, Brown County district attorney John P. Zakowski said Walden's girlfriend had changed the story she told police early Friday morning. She said she was the one who instigated the fight and that Walden was only defending himself after she hit him first.

Richards said his investigator had interviewed the woman three times and found that she never intended to file a police report. He said she did not change her story but went back over her statement and clarified some things.

Richards said the arresting officers were doing what they thought was right but that the story the woman gave to them might not have been recorded correctly.

"The officers may have thought initially that she was covering up for Erik," he said.

Richards said the woman insisted she was the aggressor and did not initiate the call to the police. He said he doesn't know who called them.

The Packers did not practice Tuesday, so it's unclear whether Walden is in the team's plans this week. His next court appearance is scheduled for Dec. 7 but would be canceled if Zakowski chose not to file charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

So how's that 11-0 treating you lads...

:(

• Pherekydes wrote: »
    She was the aggressor. She hit him first.

He is the linebacker. She is not.

She may have hit him first but in an incident where the woman sustained a head injury and the man seems unscathed, not sure the word "aggressor" really sums up the mismatch.

Either way, clearly this is at an end. I hope they both get some counselling or intervention or she might end up accidently a lot worse off next time she starts attacking him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

off topic but came across this yesterday, one of the best highlight reels you are ever likely to see:

Enjoy cheeseheads!:D

That's no excuse to start a fight. Or not to defend yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

She hits him he pushes her away to (a) block her (b) defend himself (c) get her away from him. If he does what you purpose he would perfectly still, hands by his side and take it like a man, ya know, cause he's a linebacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

She may have hit him first but in an incident where the woman sustained a head injury and the man seems unscathed, not sure the word "aggressor" really sums up the mismatch.

Either way, clearly this is at an end. I hope they both get some counselling or intervention or she might end up accidently a lot worse off next time she starts attacking him.

If a bitch hit me i'd hit her back. I dont care if she's 4 foot nothing

If a bitch hit me i'd hit her back. I dont care if she's 4 foot nothing

You'ld hit her back, not her face?

I kid, I kid, domestic violence is not acceptable at any level and these just seems like a whole case of misinterpretation, assumptions and hearsay.

• She hits him he pushes her away to (a) block her (b) defend himself (c) get her away from him. If he does what you purpose he would perfectly still, hands by his side and take it like a man, ya know, cause he's a linebacker.

No no. Because as well as hands, from what I see of him on tv he also has legs.

These seem to work perfectly well enough to enable him find his way around a field amongst multi million dollar players. You'd think they would also enable him get away from a volatile situation where the poor guy is being picked on by a smaller woman. And if he gets away, the "accidents" where that smaller person ends up with head injuries need never happen again, to the benefit of all concerned.

Hey, I'm a Packers fan, I like the guy as a player, I am not saying he's guilty of anything. But clearly the whole thing is...unpleasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Hawk and Bishop out of Sundays game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Keno 92 wrote: »

The view from the ivory tower of perfection is terrific! :D

• Is there any argument for saying that being beaten might not be such a bad thing in the scheme of things, get rid of that unbeaten season distraction, allow them focus solely on the real prize, remove any complacency (doubt there is any though). I'd take getting through the remaining season games with no injuries right now over reaching for some minor prize and having the whole thing end in a disaster ala the Pats.

Bit of a quid pro quo here lads, how about we beat the bears for ye if ye give the raiders a good thumping? would help us out with the division and all...sound:D

This was a big one. 12-0 on the season, 14 straight regular season wins, 18 including play-offs, 11 straight road wins, and Rodgers chalks up another 100+ passer rating.

Bring on the Raiders!

Oh yeah, the Division is won with 4 to spare!

w/o Rodgers, Jordy Nelson is my vote mvp!

Absolute tense finish last night my heart was pumping out my chest, I had a feeling they would go for the big plays and not wait for OT. I have confidence in Crosby and the WR to take us into the positions now, time after time in differente situations they are able to step up to the make and make it count. Disappointed with the dropped passes, Jennings and Crabtree giving me a heart attack.

Huge call on the illegal contact for us inside our own and looking at 4n out, I think we got a huge rub of the green!

My thoughts:

I hate 5 hrs sleep on a Sunday night! :o

That illegal contact call was a big one, but I'll take it considering there was plenty of illegal contact / pass interference that was not flagged.

those catches by Driver & Nelson were out of this world.

It will be good to see a full strength line backer quartet next week
    however the defense still needs to step up in general.

Again our offense linemen crumbled all too easily.
    Rogers had far too little pocket to work in.
    Our left tackle was especially poor.

Giants were pretty good considering their 6-6 record.
    Their head coach needs to be a little less twitchy with those challenge flags.

</thoughts>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Keno 92 wrote: »

Not too good, we didn't like it so we swapped it for a 12

My thoughts:

I hate 5 hrs sleep on a Sunday night! :o

That illegal contact call was a big one, but I'll take it considering there was plenty of illegal contact / pass interference that was not flagged.

But you can't believe that 2 wrongs make a right? Maybe we wouldn't have needed that call so much if the first penalties were called, but hey I've just answered my own question :s

Our FG unit, by unit I mean Crosby, has been spectaluar 19/21 FG's 90% awesome!! With a 58yarder V Vikings and a last second 31yard in the red hot atmosphere and pressure cooker last night I have complete confidence in him!

Incidentally our ST's havent been great this year, our return yardage in both categories are averaging at 27.6yards, just been average enough to get but then again its better than taking the call every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

w/o Rodgers, Jordy Nelson is my vote mvp!

Not a hope....lots of people would be ahead of him...just look at Bress,Gronk,Brady,Miller etc....he's having a good season but not an MVP season!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Is there any argument for saying that being beaten might not be such a bad thing in the scheme of things, get rid of that unbeaten season distraction, allow them focus solely on the real prize, remove any complacency (doubt there is any though). I'd take getting through the remaining season games with no injuries right now over reaching for some minor prize and having the whole thing end in a disaster ala the Pats.

I've heard this a few times and got to say it baffles me. So obviously winning a ring is the main goal but there are 45 Superbowl winners but a perfect season is a once in a generation possibly lifetime thing, I have no idea who won it all in the 81 season but I damn well know who win it in 72.

Maybe it's the sports buff in me. I just love seeing sporting history unfolding in front of me. I'm still pissed off about the Colts just giving it up 2 years ago. I may have been the only neutral who wanted the Patriots to beat the Giants in the Superbowl. I'd love to see an unbeaten season and for my team to have the chance to do it is nearly mindblowing. If they do go 19-0, they just aren't the best team of 2011, they are in greatest team ever category, have to be top 3 at least. Look how we look at Star and Lombardi, well in 40 years Rodgers and McCarty will hold equal weight if they can do this. They have to at least go for it imo.

• Advertisement

• cooker3 wrote: »
    I've heard this a few times and got to say it baffles me. So obviously winning a ring is the main goal but there are 45 Superbowl winners but a perfect season is a once in a generation possibly lifetime thing, I have no idea who won it all in the 81 season but I damn well know who win it in 72.

I appreciate what you say, and there are 45 Superbowl winners...but not many winners in consecutive years, which must remain the big prize. My concern is that something like the Unbeaten Season almost becomes an end in itself and one fears that it just ratchets up the pressure and provides an unnecessary distraction when winning another Superbowl must remain the goal. You know who won it in 72, but bet you would not put that Dolphins team in the top 3 teams of all time, those spots would be occupied by teams that had imperfect seasons yet focussed on the prize. When I think of 07, my first thought is that the Giants won it, only after that would I think of the Pats and that whole unbeaten season hype and how it came crashing down. It is great to live through sporting heroics, but think the heroism here should be just winning the thing, not winning it by perfection.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Not a hope....lots of people would be ahead of him...just look at Bress,Gronk,Brady,Miller etc....he's having a good season but not an MVP season!

I actually mean within GB not the whole league, that would be ridiculously myopic, my bad.
    cooker3 wrote: »

Maybe it's the sports buff in me. I just love seeing sporting history unfolding in front of me. I'm still pissed off about the Colts just giving it up 2 years ago. I may have been the only neutral who wanted the Patriots to beat the Giants in the Superbowl. I'd love to see an unbeaten season and for my team to have the chance to do it is nearly mindblowing....

I was one of these neutrals also. I just love the idea that in my generation while I'm a fan that an amazing piece of history is being written and I'm fully aware of it and support it. I was gutted it didn't happen, and as yourself above to now see it happening again, and to MY team is just immense!

When your talkign to your grandchildren or when reading articles in the newspapers/magazines/tablets of the future you'll be able to say I remember that akin to Tiger Woods, Michael Schumacher, Mancherster United 1999, Barcelona, Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt, Patriots and the 10/11 Packers!

• And of course the Kerry football team, 78-86!

I actually mean within GB not the whole league, that would be ridiculously myopic, my bad.

I was one of these neutrals also. I just love the idea that in my generation while I'm a fan that an amazing piece of history is being written and I'm fully aware of it and support it. I was gutted it didn't happen, and as yourself above to now see it happening again, and to MY team is just immense!

When your talkign to your grandchildren or when reading articles in the newspapers/magazines/tablets of the future you'll be able to say I remember that akin to Tiger Woods, Michael Schumacher, Mancherster United 1999, Barcelona, Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt, Patriots and the 10/11 Packers!

I was also one of those neutrals...i'm no pats fan but i wanted to see history and was raging the giants won, listening to people go on the following day who don't even watch the sport apart from the superbowl about being delighted for the pats frankly baffled me.

What's wrong with seeing history? I'd be fine with it if it wasn't the Raiders, Chargers or Chiefs... Colts intentionally blowing 16-0 infuriated me a little too. So come on Green Bay, hope you guys do the 19-0 seeing as that, as good as my broncos seem to be getting, a superbowl may just be a little out of reach just yet.

Brother & sister Pack fans!

detail on the new share issue has been released

I think you need a US address & credit card to register interest

• spiralism wrote: »
    What's wrong with seeing history?

Nothing wrong with it.

Just concerned that the wheels come off as they focus on "making history" rather than "winning the Superbowl". It would be nice, but in the context of winning the Superbowl it really is only a little fluff on top as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather see them make history by establishing the greatest dynasty the game has seen, and for me that is not done by unbeaten seasons but by winning the Superbowl multiple times. Of course they are not necessarily exclusive, just that one worries about the focus.

For the record, I was pleased Tipp stopped Kilkenny's "drive for 5", I didn't like seeing Sampras and then Federer break all those records on the tennis courts, I hope Woods does not surpass Nicklaus, I don't like the way 147s in snooker and 9 dart finishes have become almost common, the Man Utd "treble" did not interest me and so on and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I don't think they'll get distracted by the 16-0 tag. Actually I'd be more willing to think that they'd feel it more so coming into the last couple of games of the regular season rather than the playoffs because once you reach the playoffs, the Superbowl and nothing else matters.

It was interesting watching Teddy Bruschi talk about it on ESPN on Sunday. He said the team captains and Belichick sat down every Friday and pleaded with him to not pull them from the end of games because they wanted to create history in 07-08. He reckoned they'd have smashed up the place if he suggested doing so!

Watching the Packers I think they're enjoying the challenge - it's almost like a boxing title holder defending it's belt. Even Rodgers said something to that degree last Sunday after the Giants game - "Those are the fun ones when they end up like that," Rodgers said. "We've had a number of games we won by a couple scores," Rodgers said. "You get the ball on the 20, under a minute, and we get it down there for a chip-shot field goal, it's very rewarding. It probably (ranks) right at the top."

• It was interesting watching Teddy Bruschi talk about it on ESPN on Sunday. He said the team captains and Belichick sat down every Friday and pleaded with him to not pull them from the end of games because they wanted to create history in 07-08. He reckoned they'd have smashed up the place if he suggested doing so!

Ah yes. You remind me of another reason I was rooting for the Giants.

That was the Pats team that was fond of running up the score...

Thankfully it's not something that has been levelled against the Packers.

For the record, I was pleased Tipp stopped Kilkenny's "drive for 5", I didn't like seeing Sampras and then Federer break all those records on the tennis courts, I hope Woods does not surpass Nicklaus, I don't like the way 147s in snooker and 9 dart finishes have become almost common, the Man Utd "treble" did not interest me and so on and so forth.

If the Packers went unbeaten thsi season and went half-way through next season unbeaten and considering how they ended last season on a streak, would you at some point next season be hoping and cheering for your own team to loose?

• Advertisement

• hoping and cheering for your own team to loose?

:eek:

I don't think I ever said I was "hoping and cheering" for the Packers to lose?

I think I said "defeat might not be such a bad thing". And then I said that for me it's an unwanted distraction when the focus must be the Superbowl. We have seen one team screw it up in the most spectacular fashion. I'd hate to think there was any possibility of history repeating itself.

Advertisement