Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "First" Irish people

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Definetely more Heritage than history but heres the order according to Leabhar gabhala eireann.

Cessair - leader of the first irish people, grand daughter of Noah. Flood f*cks them up.

Partholon - arrive in freshly washed ireland. have a fight with the fomorians from Tory Island, win, then get f*cked up by plague.

Nemed - Scythian, arrives in ireland, beats up fomorians, get beat up by fomorians, evetually decide 'feck this' and go away again.

Fir bolg - Stomach men, worst he-man figures ever. Tuath de danann slag them over this and nick half their country

Tuath de danann - ex nemedians kicked out of greece for making zombies that werent up to scratch (no seriously). get into more fights with fomorians, who this time have 'Balor of the lazers for eyes peooow peooow!' Fomorians get beaten again and finally give up fighting because they suck at it.

Milesians - sneaky sneaky milesians. come here, kick the de danann in the nuts, manage to come to an agreement that theyll split the country equally between them. 'ok' says the milesians, 'we'll have the half thats above ground, you have the other one....HA!'

then the De Danann turned into fairies. years later the eurovision was won a few times then banks screwed us.

/irish history

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Enkidu wrote: »
    We have no idea if Minoan was Indo-European or not.
    That's what I understood too. We can't even read it AFAIK?

I'd say the bit about grand daughter of Noah was added by the monks :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Obviously there was a language here before Gaelic and this language was almost certainly a language of Old Europe* like Basque.

Bythonic & Continental Belgic / Gaulish were actually spoken in Ireland in the period before early Old Irish, later Gaelic, there are references to this by historians who have studied this in detail.

Gaelic developed either in an insular manner, or perhaps with the coming of the Milesians, some believe that these people might have actually came from Aquitaine after the expansion of the Roman Empire into that region.

The first Indo European languages, which developed into Proto Celtic, in Ireland & Western Europe would have been during the early Bronze Age, possibly Beaker period during the expansion of farming culture.

Older Non Indo European Languages similar to Basque would have been previous to this, at least 2000BC or even further back in time. Unless they possibly survived for longer as minority languages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Bythonic & Continental Belgic / Gaulish were actually spoken in Ireland in the period before early Old Irish, later Gaelic, there are references to this by historians who have studied this in detail.
    I'd like to get some references for this. The earliest writing known in Ireland that I am aware of was a form of Irish, not Brythonic or continental Belgic
    Gaelic developed either in an insular manner, or perhaps with the coming of the Milesians, some believe that these people might have actually came from Aquitaine after the expansion of the Roman Empire into that region.
    Most people believe the Milesians to be legend and myth. There is no evidence for any such immigration, which has been discussed quite a bit earlier in this thread.
    The first Indo European languages, which developed into Proto Celtic, in Ireland & Western Europe would have been during the early Bronze Age, possibly Beaker period during the expansion of farming culture.
    You've just listed two different time periods, and a culture that straddles the end of one and the start of another. Farming had been well established by the time of the Beaker Peoples. Farming expanded at the start of the Neolithic period, which, while it doesn't actually refer to farming, is so closely related to it that some people use the term inter-changeably!
    Older Non Indo European Languages similar to Basque would have been previous to this, at least 2000BC or even further back in time. Unless they possibly survived for longer as minority languages.
    Unless of course, the Indo-European languages arrived with farming in the Neolithic. The simple fact is that we will never know due to the lack of written evidence. Although, as I said in an earlier post, there is circumstantial evidence of a language older than Q-Celtic being spoken in western Ireland up until the 5th century, what that language was (Indo-Europena or not) is unknown, and will never likely be known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

The first branch of Indo-European to arrive in Ireland was almost definitely Celtic. I'm aware of the presence of the Brythonic languages e.t.c. in Ireland, but the picture is more complicated and I can only flesh it out with a short history of the Celtic Branch. Roughly a dialect of Indo-European emerged in central Europe which no longer pronounced p and placed t's before r's. In time this became it's own language, Proto-Celtic, which expanded outward from its homeland in two seperate waves, both of which reached the British Isles. The current Celtic languages in Britain and Ireland come only from the second wave of expansion, we think, because they don't contain certain archaic features.

Upon arriving in Ireland and Britain, Celtic mutated into a very different language called Proto-Insular Celtic. This language had two main subdialects from what we can tell, Goidelic and Brythonic. Obviously because of the constant back and forth between the islands, both dialects existed side by side across the British Isles, however Goidelic eventually won on this island. Hence although there is an initial period where both are in Ireland, Brythonic wasn't here first in any sense.

Some scholars have suggested that P-Celtic was brought here first and then Q-Celtic by two different invading tribes, this is probably the work you are refering to. However this is now thought to be unlikely because of growing linguistic evidence. The P and Q divide is a single feature that doesn't reflect the real history of Celtic. We currently think that Insular Celtic developed/arrived here first by itself. The main divide in Celtic is actually this insular/continental divide. Later Brythonic and Gaulish had an innovation where they regained the "p" sound by turing "kw" into "p". However Brythonic is still closer to Goidelic than to Gaulish, it just shared a later innovation for a single sound. Hence Brythonic could not be here before Goidelic, because there was no P-languages to arrive before Q-languages. Rather Brythonic and Goidelic arrived or developed together as dialects of Insular Celtic.

Now since Celtic is suspected to be the first branch of Indo-European to arrive in the British Isles we imagine that language already present was non-Indo-European. This is considerd the most likely scenario. Of course, as Johnmb says, this could be wrong. Other possibities are another dialect or subfamily of Indo-European, which no longer exists, gaining a foothold on the island first.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's what I understood too. We can't even read it AFAIK?
    We can't, it could be anything! The main theories are theories are that it's:
    Hellenic
    Another branch of Indo-European
    Or some kind of language isolate, possibly a language of Old Europe.
    I'd say the bit about grand daughter of Noah was added by the monks :)
    Definitely, they were terrible at it. For example in some medieval versions of the children of Lir, they are mentioned as being the children of the sea god, then in the end they're baptised. That would be like baptising Hercules, I don't know how you'd make the vow to recognize the "One true God" when your own Dad is a god! The monks were very bad at just Christianising one end of a story, so the beginning reads like a pagan myth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Definitely, they were terrible at it. For example in some medieval versions of the children of Lir, they are mentioned as being the children of the sea god, then in the end they're baptised. That would be like baptising Hercules, I don't know how you'd make the vow to recognize the "One true God" when your own Dad is a god! The monks were very bad at just Christianising one end of a story, so the beginning reads like a pagan myth.
    :D They'd write Amen at the end of stuff too. Greek/Roman/Irish. All got an amen. myths I seem to recall at the end of one early version of the Tain, the scribe wrote something like "right so finished. Interesting story but full of incredulous guff and pagan nonsense, but we recorded it anyway. Amen" Thankfully they did write the stuff down though. We lost many myths in the rest of Europe because their monks didnt.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

We can't, it could be anything! The main theories are theories are that it's:
    Hellenic
    Another branch of Indo-European
    Or some kind of language isolate, possibly a language of Old Europe.

Very good, never thought of that.
    Now doesn't most mythology tie in with the Tuatha de Danann "invasion"? Is it known what Irish mythology is menat to represent, if anything and is there any link to mainland Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭tomasocarthaigh

"The Story of Ireland" by A.M. Sullivan goes into depth on the legends. Its from the 1860's, the age of the Celtic Twilight, and aimed as a kids book - shows how much kids learned then, its like a college book today.

As in the style of the times, and indeed the beliefs, the legends were presented as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

A great audio history of ireland was done by the bbc in 2009 i think.

its called "a short history of ireland" but it isnt really too short, its actually quite long. you can download it from thepiratebay. its also legal to download.

i was going to put all episodes up on youtube but it would have taen to long so i just put the first 2.

here's a flavour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuoK1T3TdKE

• Advertisement

fontanalis wrote: »
    Now doesn't most mythology tie in with the Tuatha de Danann "invasion"? Is it known what Irish mythology is menat to represent, if anything and is there any link to mainland Europe?

Im not sure what this means, i know it wasnt direceted with me but ill have a go anyway.

Most mythology doesnt tie in with the Tuath de invasion. They're just talked about in 'leabhar gabhala eireann', most other books would make no mention of them.

In leabhar gabhala eireann most invaders came from mainland europe, so there is a mythological connection, tuath de were from greece, milesians were iberian, and one other was scythian. They were heavily christianised so foreign influence was there also eg cesair being Noahs grand daughter, the parallels between the battle between Balor and Lugh and David and Goliath.

Personally I dont think it is meant to represent anything. The style of writing histories, especially by monks was 'make up a load of bull' with very few exceptions, you only have to look at the biographies of saints to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭vedwards

ikeano29 wrote: »
    A great audio history of ireland was done by the bbc in 2009 i think.

its called "a short history of ireland" but it isnt really too short, its actually quite long. you can download it from thepiratebay. its also legal to download.

i was going to put all episodes up on youtube but it would have taen to long so i just put the first 2.

here's a flavour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuoK1T3TdKE

Posted yesterday; it's back on air bbc7 and listen back
    Re: the piratebay:ACCESS TO THIS IP ADDRESS RELATING TO THE PIRATE BAY WEBSITE HAS BEEN BLOCKED

A huge amount of Irish mythology is suspected to be an Irish reflection of Indo-European myths.

For example the second battle of Battle of Mag Tuired (Irish), the Titanomachy (Greek), Ragnarok (Norse), the Battle of Mahābhārata (Indic), the Plain of Ervandavan (Armenian), e.t.c. are all thought to be reflections of some original Indo-European myth about an enormous battle.

All involve an incredible enemy from a different lineage to the heroes appears, e.g. Loki (Norse), Bres (Irish). He exploits the heroes and is driven out, then returns to his own people. A new leader then springs up from the heroes, e.g. Lug (Irish), Zeus (Greek). Of course not all details of the original Indo-European myth are preserved in all versions. For example, it is thought that the original myth may have involved a great winter before the battle, but this only appears in the Germanic and Iranian versions of the myth today.

There are several more examples, but the explanation of a lot of myths is that they are local developments of Indo-European canonical stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭tomasocarthaigh

Irish as we know it, or Old Irish as it was then, was the language of the educated classes, probably the druids and such. The lack of rapid evolvment of the language in the period up to the advent of middle Irish suggests it was a classical language, spoken by an elite.

The common tongue may have been more akin to the "Iron" language, nicknamed so as it was so difficult for the writers circa 900AD to understand even though there was some speakers.

Nothing of it is written, just references to its existence.

I cannot see how a new language would arrive without immigration even if only of a ruling class, unless the new language was an evolvement of the old one, or a population explosion of speakers of one dialect making it the dominant one.

The Lowlands Listserve (www.lowlands-l.net) would be able to throw some light on this, even though they focus mainly on Germanic languages, there are many on it with expertise on Celtic languages also.

Another area of debate is the arrival of the Ulaid and the Eoghnachta, with some sources suggesting they came after the main tribes of the so-called Milesian invasion.

There are supporting legends in Galicia in Spain of a leader who sailed north and founded a new country. There is a tower there and all on a site of an older structure said to be built by him.

Sure the monks mangled history when writing it down, making history legend and legend history, but its all we got. It will show how smart we are today to untangle the web and find out fact from fiction.

Irish as we know it, or Old Irish as it was then, was the language of the educated classes, probably the druids and such. The lack of rapid evolvment of the language in the period up to the advent of middle Irish suggests it was a classical language, spoken by an elite.

The common tongue may have been more akin to the "Iron" language, nicknamed so as it was so difficult for the writers circa 900AD to understand even though there was some speakers.

Nothing of it is written, just references to its existence.

I cannot see how a new language would arrive without immigration even if only of a ruling class, unless the new language was an evolvement of the old one, or a population explosion of speakers of one dialect making it the dominant one.

The Lowlands Listserve (www.lowlands-l.net) would be able to throw some light on this, even though they focus mainly on Germanic languages, there are many on it with expertise on Celtic languages also.

Another area of debate is the arrival of the Ulaid and the Eoghnachta, with some sources suggesting they came after the main tribes of the so-called Milesian invasion.

There are supporting legends in Galicia in Spain of a leader who sailed north and founded a new country. There is a tower there and all on a site of an older structure said to be built by him.

Sure the monks mangled history when writing it down, making history legend and legend history, but its all we got. It will show how smart we are today to untangle the web and find out fact from fiction.

Having a story on both areas involved in the movement of people does lend more credibility. Anyway asn't the Iberian coast basically a gateway to all of Europe from the iron age onwards, as you had mainland Europe opening up with rivers being used and more movement fro the mediterranean? I also think there were a few mines in Cork and kerry which were supposed to be important around this time, particularly Mount Gabriel in Cork.

A huge amount of Irish mythology is suspected to be an Irish reflection of Indo-European myths.

For example the second battle of Battle of Mag Tuired (Irish), the Titanomachy (Greek), Ragnarok (Norse), the Battle of Mahābhārata (Indic), the Plain of Ervandavan (Armenian), e.t.c. are all thought to be reflections of some original Indo-European myth about an enormous battle.

All involve an incredible enemy from a different lineage to the heroes appears, e.g. Loki (Norse), Bres (Irish). He exploits the heroes and is driven out, then returns to his own people. A new leader then springs up from the heroes, e.g. Lug (Irish), Zeus (Greek). Of course not all details of the original Indo-European myth are preserved in all versions. For example, it is thought that the original myth may have involved a great winter before the battle, but this only appears in the Germanic and Iranian versions of the myth today.

There are several more examples, but the explanation of a lot of myths is that they are local developments of Indo-European canonical stories.

Are there any Irish flood myths?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Just the biblical flood myth tacked on to irish myths later by the monks.

As GhostInTheRuins says, in non-christianised Irish mythology, no. Indo-European didn't have a flood in its mythology, so European countries don't really have them except as something borrowed from Semitic regions, either through contact with Christianity or direct geographic contact with Semitic countries.

This is a quite interesting and much studied topic. Primitive Irish, Classical Old Irish and Early Modern Irish were all literary standards very disconnected with the average spoken language of the people.

Primitive Irish was a standard of the literary elite in pre-Christian times, we know this from how little it changed over the three hundred years that we have evidence of it. It probably represents Irish as it was spoken around 1st century B.C./A.D. however it was used until the 6th century. The shift to Old Irish in the 6th century probably occurred via a conscious decision by the new Christian literary class as part of their attitude to update everything from old pagan traditions. Old Irish was then based on colloquial speech.

Over time of course this colloquial speech became archaic itself and by the early 13th century it was impossible to maintain it as a standard of the written language since it was so old. Hence the new standard Early Modern Irish or the Bardic standard was born.

I should say that the spoken language basically evolved from Old Irish to Early Modern Irish. Middle Irish was not a spoken language, but represents a period where texts are inconsistent because people are by now speaking the language in a manner similar to Early Modern Irish, but are attempting to write Old Irish and accidentally put their spoken modern grammar into the writing.

Again, the standard became too remote from everyday speech and was criticised for being incomprehensible. Fionn Ó Dálaigh for instance wrote a satire of the Bards and their archaic language. Even Oxford scholar Edmund Campion remarked (in 1571) that the average Irish person could not understand 'true (Bardic) Irish'.

Eventually there probably would have been another revision but the poet classes collapsed and the language began to dwindle. During the Gaelic revival their were people saying that the Bardic standard should be reintroduced, however Peadar Ua Laoghaire argued that it was too remote and people should just use the dialect of their area. Of course over the next fifty years this lead to massive confusion due to dialectal differences and hence another standard was introduced, "An Caighdeán Oifigúil", in the 1950s. Which is basically what we learn in school.

:D They'd write Amen at the end of stuff too. Greek/Roman/Irish. All got an amen. myths I seem to recall at the end of one early version of the Tain, the scribe wrote something like "right so finished. Interesting story but full of incredulous guff and pagan nonsense, but we recorded it anyway. Amen" Thankfully they did write the stuff down though. We lost many myths in the rest of Europe because their monks didnt.
    I meant to respond to this earlier. Yes, indeed we are quite fortunate. It is suspected that this is because a lot of our early monks had been trained in the pagan tradition before converting and so saw a lot of Irish myths as secular writings worth preserving. Some countries were very unfortunate, e.g. Lithuanian.

• Advertisement

What's interesting is that at the end of the book of Leinster version, first written in Irish is "A blessing on everyone who will memorise the Táin faithfully in this form, and not put any other form on it" and then right below that written in Latin is that it's a fantasy full of devilish lies fit for the "enjoyment of idiots" :D

What's interesting is that at the end of the book of Leinster version, first written in Irish is "A blessing on everyone who will memorise the Táin faithfully in this form, and not put any other form on it" and then right below that written in Latin is that it's a fantasy full of devilish lies fit for the "enjoyment of idiots" :D

Really?

I've been looking for a translation of the book of leinster for ages (especially the book of invasions) did you find one or was it referenced in another translation of the Tain

No, I don't have a translation of the book of Leinster, I got that from Thomas Kinsella's translation of the Táin. He mentions the notes that the scribes left at the end and that they're from the book of Leinster.

I meant to respond to this earlier. Yes, indeed we are quite fortunate. It is suspected that this is because a lot of our early monks had been trained in the pagan tradition before converting and so saw a lot of Irish myths as secular writings worth preserving. Some countries were very unfortunate, e.g. Lithuanian.
    The oral tradition and the novelty of the new to them writing probably helped. It seems the deep need and respect for storytelling couldnt be swept away so easily by the new faith and maybe it wasn't seen as old fashioned as it might of been in other places? Especially those who had contact with and harboured a gra to be civilised Romans.

Take Colmcille, he came back to Ireland to help decide on the fate of the bards in this new world and he came down very strongly in favour of them. As he said himself "For know you that God himself bought the psalms of praise from King David and on that account it is right for you to buy the poems of the poets and keep the poets in Ireland. And as all the world is but a fable, it were for you to buy the more enduring fable rather than the one that is less enduring". I can't quite imagine a mainland European and more Roman cleric coming out with anything like that, especially about "pagan" storytellers mostly speaking of pagan subjects.

The church had most often tried to remove that link with the past and substitute their own story. Interesting he describes the world as but a fable. Common enough in theological thinking at the time, but more along the lines of Vale of tears/Christianity is the only one able to tell and deduce this fable. The Irish notion of many fables of the world around them that can inform didnt die with him. You can see a similar but massively more complex reading of that notion in the later John Scottus' works. He was damn near a pantheist in leanings. A fact that didnt escape headquarters in Rome and his books were ordered to be burnt and removed from record.

Really?

I've been looking for a translation of the book of leinster for ages (especially the book of invasions) did you find one or was it referenced in another translation of the Tain

In the original:

Irish:
    Bendacht ar cech óen mebraigfes go hindraic Táin amlaid seo 7 ná tuillfe cruth aile furri

A blessing on every one who shall faithfully memorise the Táin as it is written here and shall not add any other form to it.

Latin:
    Sed ego qui scripsi hanc historiam aut uerius fabulam quibusdam fidem in hac historia aut fabula non accommodo. Quaedam enim ibi sunt praestrigia demonum, quaedum autem figmenta poetica, quaedam similia uero, quaedam non, quaedam ad delectationem stultorum.

But I who have written this story, or rather this fable, give no credence to the various incidents related in it. For some things in it are the deceptions of demons, others poetic figments; some are probable, others improbable; while still others are intended for the delectation of foolish men.

The 7 symbol in the Irish is an old way of writing "ocus", meaning "and", similar to the & symbol in English.
    "ocus" became "agus" in Modern Irish.

It's interesting the guy uses the words "faithfully memorise" and not "reproduce in print" in that entreaty. As if he's aware that writing and books at the time were a relatively rare thing and that it may need to survive in the oral tradition too. That the old tradition still holds relevance even in the face of the new. Though the act of rendering it in ink on page sets the template to remember both are needed. An interesting take for what was lately an entirely oral tradition(IIRC some of the ancient Greek thinkers thinking similar).

Seems there's a bit of a hidden thing going on too? The Irish part is easy going, but the Latin part presumably meant only for educated eyes is a bit more... well, dismissive? Though I'm damn thankful for the mindset that spent countless hours just to record it as they felt the act of recording itself important to do so, even if privately he/they thought it was all bollocks. IIRC they did similar for many of the tales of the classical world too. I wonder did they ever do anything similar in the lands these wandering scribes went preaching God to. It's a pity they didn't or that if they did it's lost to us or we would have a greater understanding of other early European myths and legends.

Or am I reading too much into that?

IIRC the Irish guys even started to screw around with Latin and invented their own more flowery version among themselves. Amazing considering how late they came to writing and presumably other languages. Though Maybe Ireland was a patchwork of languages/dialects so they had that innate facility?

fontanalis wrote:
    I doubt it. It would be like bringing coals to newcastle. "Hey Mick, did you hear about this Noah character? Who saved his family from a great flood?". "Nah but so what? The wife saved herself, the kids and the cattle last Tuesday after a grand soft day lost the run of itself". :D

In the original:

Irish:
    Bendacht ar cech óen mebraigfes go hindraic Táin amlaid seo 7 ná tuillfe cruth aile furri

A blessing on every one who shall faithfully memorise the Táin as it is written here and shall not add any other form to it.

Latin:
    Sed ego qui scripsi hanc historiam aut uerius fabulam quibusdam fidem in hac historia aut fabula non accommodo. Quaedam enim ibi sunt praestrigia demonum, quaedum autem figmenta poetica, quaedam similia uero, quaedam non, quaedam ad delectationem stultorum.

But I who have written this story, or rather this fable, give no credence to the various incidents related in it. For some things in it are the deceptions of demons, others poetic figments; some are probable, others improbable; while still others are intended for the delectation of foolish men.

The 7 symbol in the Irish is an old way of writing "ocus", meaning "and", similar to the & symbol in English.
    "ocus" became "agus" in Modern Irish.

ggod work. that latin one is just a way of saying 'any reference to any charcters living or dead...' :)

It's interesting the guy uses the words "faithfully memorise" and not "reproduce in print" in that entreaty. As if he's aware that writing and books at the time were a relatively rare thing and that it may need to survive in the oral tradition too. That the old tradition still holds relevance even in the face of the new. Though the act of rendering it in ink on page sets the template to remember both are needed. An interesting take for what was lately an entirely oral tradition(IIRC some of the ancient Greek thinkers thinking similar).
    Yes, making a canonical version. Indeed the Ancient Greeks did something similar.
    Seems there's a bit of a hidden thing going on too? The Irish part is easy going, but the Latin part presumably meant only for educated eyes is a bit more... well, dismissive? Though I'm damn thankful for the mindset that spent countless hours just to record it as they felt the act of recording itself important to do so, even if privately he/they thought it was all bollocks. IIRC they did similar for many of the tales of the classical world too. I wonder did they ever do anything similar in the lands these wandering scribes went preaching God to. It's a pity they didn't or that if they did it's lost to us or we would have a greater understanding of other early European myths and legends.

Or am I reading too much into that?
    It's hard to know what the monks thought. In some senses he could be just covering his arse with the Latin text. Some people have read the Irish and Latin texts respectively as roughly:
    Irish: Dear traditional Irish poets, the Táin is fantastic don't you agree?
    Latin: Dear superiors who could kill me, the Táin is a load of bollocks don't you agree?

The monks were very contradictory. For example one monk, copying the New Testament says in a margin (probably to another monk who will also be copying from his copy):

Cidbé le bud emeilt, do scribus mar do fuarus ind lebur so nó fós.
    I'm sorry if you find this boring, but I just copied the book the way I found it.

Not something you would expect from a pious monk!

A random note, just since we're discussing early Ireland:
    The Brehon law texts rank entertainers. The lowest entertainer called a "braigetóir" was more lowly than even "the lowest female entertainer". The Braigetóir was a professional farter.

• Advertisement

Yes, making a canonical version. Indeed the Ancient Greeks did something similar.
    IIRC Plato was one bloke not overly keen on the notion of canonical stuff, pertaining to philosophy anyway.

It's hard to know what the monks thought. In some senses he could be just covering his arse with the Latin text. Some people have read the Irish and Latin texts respectively as roughly:
    Irish: Dear traditional Irish poets, the Táin is fantastic don't you agree?
    Latin: Dear superiors who could kill me, the Táin is a load of bollocks don't you agree?
    Sounds about right. :)
    The monks were very contradictory. For example one monk, copying the New Testament says in a margin (probably to another monk who will also be copying from his copy):

Cidbé le bud emeilt, do scribus mar do fuarus ind lebur so nó fós.
    I'm sorry if you find this boring, but I just copied the book the way I found it.

Not something you would expect from a pious monk!
    Brilliant. Shows promise that lad. Would this be similar to the above example that maybe his superiors or whom the book was destined for(export?) would not be able to read that? Though I suppose the endless copying must have driven even the most devout to tears of boredom. I seem to recall another marginal comment where a guy laments the fate of some character or other who dies in the text(Not christian AFAIR). They did seem to get into it.
    A random note, just since we're discussing early Ireland:
    The Brehon law texts rank entertainers. The lowest entertainer called a "braigetóir" was more lowly than even "the lowest female entertainer". The Braigetóir was a professional farter.
    With your expertise on these matters would there be any chance that in the transition from old Irish to new that transformed into "teachta dala"? :D

Advertisement