Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well that was ****ing depressing to watch. I normally will rewatch the eagles games on game pass during the week but I think I’ll give this one a skip. It was like having an operation in the full of your senses without anaesthetic. I actually don’t know what to say lads but in the off season there needs to a serious look at the coaching staff call a spade a spade, because it’s not bloody working.

Tbh I'd fire all the coaching staff, I can't Stand Josh McDaniels, screwed the colts over which meant Reich left us (Wentz was on fire with him) Groh might be solid back as wr coach but I'd sooner see him gone, Doug for some Reason constantly abandons the run game even when it works,

Where we need to rebuild

Wr ( alshon and Nelson are obvious) alshon seems to have an issue with Wentz and Nelson just too inconsistent, de Sean just too much of a cap hit to cut but I get the feeling more injuries for him next season, Mack hollins seems to be constantly running plays but no targets with is ridiculous, also is Corey Clement injured or just not performing

Cb and secondary ( I love Jenkins but I think we have to abandon sentimentality and do a bill belichick on it and let him walk)
    need better than Darby and Mills ( maybe Schwartz has good plays but not the pieces)

Possibly a center, kelce signed a new deal before the season I know but gone in two years so maybe worth look at the draft

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Ya need investment in the recieving corp and cornerbacks. It but I worry that this may not be possible with the money Jeffery and sesean have I still like Jeffery when he's healthy but that seems less and less common. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at recievers in the draft by all.accpunts it's a very good year for them

Can't help but feel a bit better after the clowney hit yesterday but with the Injurys we ended up doing well to make the playoffs. I'm.a bit concerned that the coaching staff dropped the likes of Greg ward something like 9 times while keeping agholor and resigning matthews a few times.

Boston scott and miles Sanders look like a very good running back corp going forward I'd like a power back also but I suspect Howard will be to expensive

Ertz/ godert look to be a serious tight end combo godert took a real step up to end the year I hope his and ertz drops to start the year where a once off.

Lot of free agents leaving this year but some of them where probably going anyway.

Think we need to invest basically everywhere on d during the off-season

Iv seen that Malcom Jenkins has already said he won't be playing on his current deal next year I don't know of we can afford to lose him.but it bugs me when guys don't play out their contract and he is getting on now so I don't know if we can invest big money in him

Edit: can't help feeling a bit bitter not a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Bit better ?

Bit better ?

Should be bitter autocorrect kills me

• Advertisement

Groh finally gone

nerd69 wrote: »
    Groh finally gone

Good, need a good oc to help wentz, losing Reich that time killed his progress

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

I think an offense rebuild is required. Obviously from the end of season run some of the back up players have potential but our starters need to be reevaluated. Now with Sproles, Ajayi gone we should promote Boston to the starting team. We have two good tight ends but WR needs complete overhaul. Getting rid of the coach was a good first step but I dont think we can rely on Alshon, Jackson & Agalohor for a full 16 game season.

Well that was a load of ****e today wasn’t it. We had the serious issues with the O line(and there were) and only for our TEs we’d have had 3 points today so at least our two TEs stepped up

Issues

- O line obviously and I wouldn’t put too much blame on Driscoll and Mailata(who didn’t do badly given it was his first game) but Lane Johnson needs to Come back and it needs to be next week. Herbig ? Yeah he’s big but he was useless.
    -Carson Wentz. Fair enough his protection was poor today but those two INTs were on him and he started chucking the ball around at the end of the first half which I didn’t think was needed. I’ll never understand his tendency to hold onto the ball for the time he does when it’s clear putting the ball into stands is the best course of action. Not every broken play can be salvaged.

Fairly damning loss yesterday. The injury issues really need to be looked at at this point we seem to be up there with the worst teams for injuries year after year since before the Superbowl at this point I'm aware that medical staff have changed in that time but perhaps there is something to the way we are training it hard to believe in coincidence at this point.

Don't blame Wentz towards the end as some others do with sub 2 second pass rushes it's hard to do much he wasn't even completing his dropbacks at pointshowever he had some bad overthrows

The oline is essentially ****ed when jp inevitably goes down and we can afford to sign anyone because of out cap situation next year.

• Advertisement

Right well again the eagles lost and at this stage the owners will have to make some big changes in the off season at the latest.

-Carson Wentz is becoming a liability to the team. Twice yesterday he had receivers open down the field and he held the ball that lead to a turnover and a safety. Yes, the Oline is not good but how can it be when it’s not the same one at any time so far this season, but even still Carson needs to get the ball out of his hands when it’s there.

- speaking of the Oline Jason Peters needs to be benched, and Jordan mailata needs to play. I love Jason peters as a player for this team but it’s over. Also lane Johnson went off injured yesterday again so that’s another issue. And Jason kelce cursed the medical staff out and had a brace put on his elbow and he came back in which is great.

- Doug Pederson will always have a special place in eagles history but I’d be asking whether he’s a part of the problem. His play calling is so one dimensional and ****e.

-Travis fulghum needs to get more targets not Jeffrey.

- running backs are okay but need to work on the fumbles.

So in summary the team is a mess mostly and something or someone needs to change.

Wentz has been so poor, he need a to be benched, it could clear his head and also show regardless of contract poor play will not be rewarded, hurts should be given a run, if he is poor it can take heat of wentz

Doug needs to go and I hate saying that, his play calling has been poor (hated him constantaly going for 2) and he just seems to not bother with running even when effective, shows how much Reich is missed

I see the main headline of the Philadelphia eagles website is that they are “staying the course.” I get there’s a level of positive spin all teams put out during bad runs but come on, this isn’t the time for carrying on regardless. We can’t see us beating the packers or many or few of the next few games so if the recent plan isn’t working I can’t see how sticking to it against far better teams in this stretch of the season will work out any better.

I see the main headline of the Philadelphia eagles website is that they are “staying the course.” I get there’s a level of positive spin all teams put out during bad runs but come on, this isn’t the time for carrying on regardless. We can’t see us beating the packers or many or few of the next few games so if the recent plan isn’t working I can’t see how sticking to it against far better teams in this stretch of the season will work out any better.

Lurie tends to stand by guys and it's served us well for the most part. This team needs a rebuild at this point thebo-line has by some miracle been ok we have 3 good tackles and some good guards but kelce won't be there forever a replacement will have to be found. The recievers are a mystery tbh we actually have decent talent there and te and rb. Wentz has been a disast this year he's essentially blake bortles at this point I'm unsure what happened or how he's fallen off so badly but I think he needs to be benched for a bit to get his head right playing through has not worked for him.i think the offence has e ought young talent to get right by next year

My fear is the defence is now ageing cox has not been the same this year and when he dropped off that was always going to be problematic derrick barnett looks like a bust for where he was picked, graham is also ageing and hargrave has been a huge disappointment

I have no idea what's up with Wentz but we have so much money comited we have to stick with him the rest of the offence has talent to do something.

Given our cap next year I see desean , alshon and quite a few players from the defence leaving and a new d being built. I don't know if schwartz should be in charge of that to be honest.

I also think making the playoffs this year would do us no favours. There's some serious talent the top of this draft and a blowout loss in the wildcard does nobody any favours. I hate saying that but it is what it is

Anyone getting grief off of giants fan buddies this morning even though they won 6 games

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Anyone getting grief off of giants fan buddies this morning even though they won 6 games

Giants fans don't really have a leg to stand on to complain given their record but that doesn't make what Pederson did any better. Glad that he is rightfully getting called out for it.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Giants fans don't really have a leg to stand on to complain given their record but that doesn't make what Pederson did any better. Glad that he is rightfully getting called out for it.

6 wins is mental.

What doug did has been done every year by teams the only reason it's being blown up now is new York media

6 wins is mental.

What doug did has been done every year by teams the only reason it's being blown up now is new York media

Quite a big difference between resting players for the playoffs or even season long tanking and what we saw last night.

What Doug did was much closer to match fixing - his team looking like they had a chance to win and him doing what he could to ensure they weren't successful.

Not sure how he can stand in front of players and ask them to make sacrifices in order to win when he can make a 'business decision' when it suits him. Usual 'do what i say, not as i do'

Quite a big difference between resting players for the playoffs or even season long tanking and what we saw last night.

What Doug did was much closer to match fixing - his team looking like they had a chance to win and him doing what he could to ensure they weren't successful.

Not sure how he can stand in front of players and ask them to make sacrifices in order to win when he can make a 'business decision' when it suits him. Usual 'do what i say, not as i do'

Your right it's far less agregous than a season long tank. Pull players to ensure they don't get hurt. Of the giants wanted the playoffs they should won more than 6 games

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

6 wins is mental.

It's not an either or for me.

The nature of how he went about it is what sticks in the craw for most. The 4th down decision when they could have taken the FG to equalise was such a pisser.

It'll all blow over anyway, but for now...

Fúck Giants fans though.

• Advertisement

Feel bad for Nate, he was like a deer in headlights, felt like he got a few poor snaps and zero protection. Just thrown to the wolves last night

It's not an either or for me.

The nature of how he went about it is what sticks in the craw for most. The 4th down decision when they could have taken the FG to equalise was such a pisser.

It'll all blow over anyway, but for now...

Fúck Giants fans though.

Going for it on 4th down is very common for Doug though that wasn't calling a 0 cover blitz out of nowhere on a hail mary play it was pretty consistent with what's been called for years

Your right it's far less agregous than a season long tank. Pull players to ensure they don't get hurt. Of the giants wanted the playoffs they should won more than 6 games

I actually have less of an issue with a season long tank, where you trade away your assets but the coaches and team still go out to try to win games with who they have out there - like Dolphins last year or the Jets this year. Actively making decisions mid game to get your team to lose is a different story - which is why there was similar outcry to the Jets-Raiders game but it went away due to the firing of Williams.

So much BS coming out of the Eagles as explanation for this move. If injury was a concern why are those players out there at all, risk doesn't suddenly increase later in the game. Pederson also saying afterwards claiming Sudfeld was going to give them the best chance to win - presume they'll be resigning Sudfeld and/or drafting a QB at 6 now then...

Agree with the point that this will all blow over quite quickly in the media but I don't think Pederson is ever getting the respect he has lost back, including from his players and staff.
    Hococop wrote: »
    Feel bad for Nate, he was like a deer in headlights, felt like he got a few poor snaps and zero protection. Just thrown to the wolves last night

What else could be expected from the position his coach put him in, the coach gave the signal he was making a business decision to lose and obviously the rest of the team would do the same.

The discussion between a browns if a few years ago type tank and this are certainly interesting.

Either way I think the giants fans/media are way out of line. In fairness I think Eli manning was messing with his tweet but some others are not

The discussion between a browns if a few years ago type tank and this are certainly interesting.

Either way I think the giants fans/media are way out of line. In fairness I think Eli manning was messing with his tweet but some others are not

Not sure how the media is out of line, they called it for exactly what it appeared to be just like they did earlier in the season for the Jets-Raiders game, though that narrative changed to it being incompetence rather than open tanking when they sacked Williams.

It says it all that the explanation from Eagles fans for what Pederson did all boil down to either whataboutery, obvious lies, or attacking the messenger.

Not sure how the media is out of line, they called it for exactly what it appeared to be just like they did earlier in the season for the Jets-Raiders game, though that narrative changed to it being incompetence rather than open tanking when they sacked Williams.

It says it all that the explanation from Eagles fans for what Pederson did all boil down to either whataboutery, obvious lies, or attacking the messenger.

They weren’t comparing like for like which is why the media are somewhat out of line.

We had rich eisen who’s a jets fan literally hoping the jets would tank and got annoyey when they decided they wanted to win.

Also, fecking spare me the giants players and giants fans getting upset. If they didn’t want to have to rely of a rival then maybe they should have won more than six games this season. The eagles did not have a good season at all and I think us eagles fans will be the first to admit it but the eagles playing bad had no bearing on on how poor the other three teams in the division. Each team had 10 other games bar the division games.

And I’m not defending what Doug Peterson because he should always try to win and if the story about the players and coaches being royally pissed over the call then Doug Peterson should be fired. He won’t be but but he should.

They weren’t comparing like for like which is why the media are somewhat out of line.

We had rich eisen who’s a jets fan literally hoping the jets would tank and got annoyey when they decided they wanted to win.

Also, fecking spare me the giants players and giants fans getting upset. If they didn’t want to have to rely of a rival then maybe they should have won more than six games this season. The eagles did not have a good season at all and I think us eagles fans will be the first to admit it but the eagles playing bad had no bearing on on how poor the other three teams in the division. Each team had 10 other games bar the division games.

And I’m not defending what Doug Peterson because he should always try to win and if the story about the players and coaches being royally pissed over the call then Doug Peterson should be fired. He won’t be but but he should.

I said from my original post and fully agree that Giants fans and players don't have any right to complain about how this impacts them.

I still don't see how the media were out of line or how this is different than what we initially believed was purposeful throwing of the game by the Jets earlier in the season. There was initially similar complaints/outrage about that and it didn't have the multiplying factors of being on SNF and directly deciding another teams playoff fate.

I'm sure there would have been Eagles fans in the media that would have similarly grumbled if they had been successful on Sunday for how it impacted their draft pick - even though the difference between #1 or #2 pick is completely different than #6 or #9 pick.

As for your last point, I don't think that would be a decision he would have made if he didn't either ok it with his superiors or else feel like his job was 100% secure. It is nearly a good sign for the team that players and coaches are royally pissed at him, if they weren't then the culture would be there to make business decisions when it suits them. Problem now is that he has infected the team with that mindset which is far from ideal when they are looking at a rebuild.

I just can't fathom the logic of tanking an entire season or multiple is fine but tanking a game that's meaningless is disrespectful to the game.

Also with regards the comment on whataboutism I don't see why pointing out that this is not uncommon is an issue.

Iv also seen it said that starting sudfield wouldn't have been an issue but brining him in during the game is which again seems to be a strange attitude

If this was the other way around I wouldn't care at all because with 6 wins the playoffs is undeserved and pointless. If this was jacksonville that didn't make the playoffs I don't think anything would be made of it

I just can't fathom the logic of tanking an entire season or multiple is fine but tanking a game that's meaningless is disrespectful to the game.

I can't fathom how you don't see the difference :D

One has the coaches and players trying to win each game but failing due to the poor team, the other is a coach purposefully sabotaging his team mid game because it looked like they might have a chance of winning. No one is saying either is 'fine' but there is an obvious, fundamental difference.
    Also with regards the comment on whataboutism I don't see why pointing out that this is not uncommon is an issue.

But it is an uncommon issue, the examples you're pushing is pure false equivalence. The only time similar situation that appeared to have happened this season it received the same sort of media focus, even though it wasn't on a primetime game and didn't directly impact the playoffs for another team.
    Iv also seen it said that starting sudfield wouldn't have been an issue but brining him in during the game is which again seems to be a strange attitude

It probably wouldn't have caused as much of a stir because everyone, Eagles players included, would have known the situation but again purposefully starting a 3rd string QB is far worse than any other team has done to 'tank' this season, made worse by the fact that Hurts actually could use game time after having limited starts in his career.
    If this was the other way around I wouldn't care at all because with 6 wins the playoffs is undeserved and pointless. If this was jacksonville that didn't make the playoffs I don't think anything would be made of it

Again, the evidence from this season points to you being completely wrong. When it looked like the Jets coaching team purposefully lost a mid-season game with less impact to others and a far larger draft benefit there was intense media focus on it.

Here is what an Eagles player thinks about it, keep trying to brush it off if you want but even the players don't see it as being right.

https://twitter.com/JFMcMullen/status/1346509893457621000?s=20

• Advertisement

So how do we feel the off-season will go? Lot of players almost certainly gone but it feels like a probability we go into next year with two QBs.

Jamar chase seems like the dream.pick for us but I don't know if there's value in a reciever with a team that may take a year or two at best to get back perhaps a trade back is ideal

Advertisement