Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PERSONAL WEATHER STATIONS: Queries and Advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It happened to me
    I had to replace the console unfortunately

damn and they are costly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hold down the Done button for a few moments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Danno wrote: »
    Hold down the Done button for a few moments

I did that but it doesn’t solve it.

• RobertKK wrote: »
    I did that but it doesn’t solve it.
    Do you know anyone local that is handy with electronics, could be a simple fix.

Loose wire, dry joint etc

If not, there may be a website dedicated to repairing these consoles as they are expensive enough to make simple repairs worthwhile.
    EDIT: or try Davis themselves http://www.davis.com/Repairs

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭The_Outsider

Hi all, some advice needed please.
    So I've had a Vantage Vue for the last 3 years and while it's been fairly reliable its slowly but surely failing. First to go was the humidity sensor, then the bearing in the anemometer (which I replaced), it constantly complains about low battery despite changing multiple times and now the external temperature sensor has gone.

A replacement senor suite for this model is £240. I'm feeling like I'm throwing money at this thing constantly so while browsing for spares I came across the Ventus W830 which looks lovely, and retails for £169.

Have I a lemon of a Vantage Vue or is this the typical life expectancy with the Vue ?
    Has anyone any experience with the Ventus? Worth a shot?

Thx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Have I a lemon of a Vantage Vue or is this the typical life expectancy with the Vue ?

Thx.

I have a Vantage Vue for over ten years now and the only major issue I had was having to replace the humidity sensor about three years ago. Occasionally I get the low battery message but it goes away about two days after I replace the batteries - either the external one or the console ones, whichever are exhausted.

Otherwise it has been faultless.

Thanks Comhra,
    Sounds like you are getting decent mileage out of your Vue. It is probably my site that is slowly killing mine - very exposed on a pole on top of a hill so it takes quite the beating.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Thx.

I also have my Vue nearly 10 years and overall it has served me well. I had the issue with Low Battery Warnings from the ISS but fixed this by applying Dielectric Grease to a set of contacts in the battery compartment. Note not the actual Battery Contacts.
    Also my Humidity sensor won’t read above 90% but I use a different sensor for my station so not reflecting on my websites readings.
    Obviously the Vue has its limitations as it’s an all in one solution but i don’t regret buying it nearly a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Ok so I'm in a bit of a quandry weather station wise, want to see what others think. Its time for me to get a new weather station as my one is very broken now. It was an old Maplin model.

But the problem is which to get. The EU models seem vastly inferior to the US models and importing them is tricky because of the frequency issues. The two US ones and the Davis are as follows -

1) Davis Vantage Vue or Pro 2. (Both extremely expensive, are very good, but the console is wildly outdated and connection to the internet is atrocious).

2) Ambient Weather WS 2902A. (Absolutely lovely weather station but not an EU frequency, website is not available in EU at all, hard to get here)

3) Weatherflow Tempest. (Not available in EU, unknown frequency issues for EU market too).

So all three that I want are just out of reach at the moment. So I was looking on Amazon for a cheapy one to tide me over until one of the above three either get updated, or have EU availability.

Does anyone have any recommendations on any weather stations on Amazon at the moment? A few hundred euros really but all I'm seeing on there is cheap relabeled/crappy Chinese knockoffs, and nothing in anyway decent or anyway close to any of the three above.

Are we really that screwed in the EU market versus the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Yes, we're really screwed in the EU.

They also have Acurite Atlas, decent one IMO:

https://the-gadgeteer.com/2018/11/04/acurite-atlas-weather-station-review/

Their home page won't even open for EU viewers, unless you use VPN to deceive them. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Ok so I'm in a bit of a quandry weather station wise, want to see what others think. Its time for me to get a new weather station as my one is very broken now. It was an old Maplin model.

But the problem is which to get. The EU models seem vastly inferior to the US models and importing them is tricky because of the frequency issues. The two US ones and the Davis are as follows -

1) Davis Vantage Vue or Pro 2. (Both extremely expensive, are very good, but the console is wildly outdated and connection to the internet is atrocious).

2) Ambient Weather WS 2902A. (Absolutely lovely weather station but not an EU frequency, website is not available in EU at all, hard to get here)

3) Weatherflow Tempest. (Not available in EU, unknown frequency issues for EU market too).

So all three that I want are just out of reach at the moment. So I was looking on Amazon for a cheapy one to tide me over until one of the above three either get updated, or have EU availability.

Does anyone have any recommendations on any weather stations on Amazon at the moment? A few hundred euros really but all I'm seeing on there is cheap relabeled/crappy Chinese knockoffs, and nothing in anyway decent or anyway close to any of the three above.

Are we really that screwed in the EU market versus the US?

Do they have those on gearbest?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Do they have those on gearbest?

Dont think Gearbest has any weather stations besides the < $50 desktop stuff. Personally got a Bresser 5in1 Wireless few weeks back, its very good other than the fact it doesnt let you access the data - you must go via Weather Underground or/and WeatherCloud which is a bit of a letdown considering there is a webserver running on the unit :mad:

The exact model I got is the 7002580, bought from the WeatherShop UK

Chris_5339762 I watched a review of the Ambient Weather one you mentioned about and from what I can see, other that the multicoloured text on the console display, it's pretty identical to the Ventus W830 I'm looking at on weatherspares.co.uk

In the description it says " Weather Underground, Weather Cloud and also the UK MetOffice WoW service. In Summer 2019 Ventus has also added the ability to upload data to the Ecowitt network and your own web server using custom settings."

That should be available in Ireland right?

I'm pretty sold on this device and just want to do a bit more digging on it. Plus it's out of stock at minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I have an Ecowitt Dp1500. Just wondering if anyone else has one with the Lightning detector? Just wondering how they work

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

How can I confirm my weather station is not over reading?

It does well in sunshine but I am wondering if it is slightly over reading due to an effect from my house. Sometimes at night when I arrive home, my car will be 2c lower than the reading on my Base station.

For ex, today the high was 5.9c which seems slightly too high.

Local stations near me had highs of:
    4.8c
    4.3c
    3.4c

This is the graph of the temperature throughout the day, so not sure if that looks abnormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I would say you are about right. Currently I am the lowest of all the local ones on Wunderground. You maybe affected by local conditions that others don't have.

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Local microclimates can have quite a significant affect on readings, even the presence of a river can reduce the variations between highs & lows if close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭superdog

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

It does well in sunshine but I am wondering if it is slightly over reading due to an effect from my house. Sometimes at night when I arrive home, my car will be 2c lower than the reading on my Base station.

4.8c
    4.3c
    3.4c

I would be interested in knowing that too.
    I think where it is mounted or located will result in a fair variance

superdog wrote: »
    I would be interested in knowing that too.
    I think where it is mounted or located will result in a fair variance

I’m just not sure where it put it. The back of the garden is on to a field, however, there are trees there... elsewhere there are houses on either side.

• Advertisement

4.8c
    4.3c
    3.4c

Bare in mind that your Davis weather station will be the standard 6ft off the ground
    Your cars outside thermometer is located under the car near the road surface
    In summer this means its picking up surface radiation and in winter its taking a reading near a frost covered ground/road
    So the car is a guide,its not accurate
    Your Davis is for your garden
    It will be affected by things near it but to be honest as Oneiric says that's your gardens weather,its as accurate a guide to the temperature as it can be given the professionalism of the equipment you're using

Does this look like a rapid jump? Temp is rising 0.1c every minute which seems unrealistic. Especially given that the ice is not melting.

Our forecast high is 4c... so the temp should be stabilising now.

Does this look like a rapid jump? Temp is rising 0.1c every minute which seems unrealistic. Especially given that the ice is not melting.

Our forecast high is 4c... so the temp should be stabilising now.

Ground temperatures are quite cold and anywhere on the ground that's sheltered from direct sunlight or not exposed to the wind will hold it's frost and ice for much if not all the day, unless air temperatures get up higher than 4c or 5c.

Frost formed here yesterday evening and persisted throughout the night despite air temperatures holding above 0c for prolonged periods into the small hours of this morning.

Welcome everyone old and new to the world of weatherstations where you see every decimal point change,(10 of them for every degree) that people without stations never notice
    Each one hurts or delights depending on what you want
    Meanwhile the rest of the world laughs :D

That’s a bit of an odd temperature chart no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Please, please...

538283.jpg

Not really. Sunshine/cloudy spell/sunshine?

Up 1c in the last 10 minutes. This happens every sunny morning at about 11am..

We will probably have a 5.9c high for the 4th consecutive day.

Up 1c in the last 10 minutes. This happens every sunny morning at about 11am..

We will probably have a 5.9c high for the 4th consecutive day.

Its the correct ambient temp though
    Your thermometer in that Davis is well shielded
    Out of curiosity can you take your console to the most shaded part of the garden,leave it there for 2hrs and take a photo of its 'indoors temp which will be the outdoors for there and compare the two?
    Place the console on a chair out there or better still a step ladder so its the same height as the station

• Advertisement

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Its the correct ambient temp though
    Your thermometer in that Davis is well shielded
    Out of curiosity can you take your console to the most shaded part of the garden,leave it there for 2hrs and take a photo of its 'indoors temp which will be the outdoors for there and compare the two?
    Place the console on a chair out there or better still a step ladder so its the same height as the station

I will try that I am worried it will be damaged though.

Advertisement