Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

SF TD holding the insurance companies to task versus a FG TD that can't even be trusted to sit on a swing without trying a fraudulent claim.
    Few upset posters here. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

SF TD holding the insurance companies to task versus a FG TD that can't even be trusted to sit on a swing without trying a fraudulent claim.
    Few upset posters here. ;-)

Not really, dude. SF are a spent docket. Having nothing only gibberish to offer the people. Can see them becoming part of the Labour Party within 10 years. Like the stickies before them. The only appeal of sf to some people was the likes of Adams and the lad who can’t read down in Kerry. The lad who picked up the killers of Sergeant Jerry McCabe. The Ferris gombeen.

Not really, dude. SF are a spent docket. Having nothing only gibberish to offer the people. Can see them becoming part of the Labour Party within 10 years. Like the stickies before them. The only appeal of sf to some people was the likes of Adams and the lad who can’t read down in Kerry. The lad who picked up the killers of Sergeant Gerry McCabe. The Ferris gombeen.

I don't give a flying one about SF but I find it hilarious the amount of whataboutery in your comment instead of addressing my comment. SF TD holding the insurance companies to account where they claimed over 20 per cent of claims were fraudulent yet less than 1 per cent reported to the guards. I wonder would the FG TD's have been investigated? What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Not really, dude. SF are a spent docket. Having nothing only gibberish to offer the people. Can see them becoming part of the Labour Party within 10 years. Like the stickies before them. The only appeal of sf to some people was the likes of Adams and the lad who can’t read down in Kerry. The lad who picked up the killers of Sergeant Jerry McCabe. The Ferris gombeen.

Signage on the auld swing in Sophie's wouldn't be much use to the likes of him. You'd have to wonder what in under jaysis Madigan and Bailey were thinking coming up with that as an angle to try and prosecute. :P

I see Charlie Flannigan has been rolled out now to toe party line, they seem to be about to do a white wash hoping this'll go away, but like everything else in the whole kerfuffle, they're misjudging that opinion too.
    Mr Flanagan denied the allegations and said Taoiseach Leo Varadkar is not "hiding behind" previously unknown deals to keep the report secret amid mounting calls for its findings to be made public

Unknown deals:confused: Leo didn't establish any terms of reference with Kennedy? Not very plausible. Are we to believe Leo sent your man off with a free reign at a report that Leo had no clue what the conditions were? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Agreed. Bad and all as Fine Gael are, SF would be the true masters at " getting" money for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I see this morning in the IT that Phil "down to a trickle" Hogan is being lined up for a second spin on the EU gravy train with the cabinet to sign off on the nomination this morning.

Ah FG.. Ye never fail to disappoint!

Loving the deflection tactics here. FG has zero credibility when it comes to tackling the high cost of insurance considering the behaviour of Farrell and Bailey. High insurance costs have curtailed the activities available to the wider community, caused the cancellation of festivals that have lasted for years but more importantly the same high insurance has cost jobs. FG is silent on the matter as it's members are willing to gouge the system just like the cheats they pretend to abhorr .

I don't give a flying one about SF but I find it hilarious the amount of whataboutery in your comment instead of addressing my comment. SF TD holding the insurance companies to account where they claimed over 20 per cent of claims were fraudulent yet less than 1 per cent reported to the guards. I wonder would the FG TD's have been investigated? What do you think?

Wasting your time mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

lola85 wrote: »
    People here blaming the likes of Maria Bailey for high premiums then praising Doherty for showing that claims aren’t the reason and it’s actually the insurance companies lying.

I don’t get it???

I think Maria Bailey is a good example of why Pearse Doherty's questioning was over blown. Maria Bailey's claim was a clear example of attempted fraud to anyone with some common sense, but still doesn't present enough evidence to support a prosecution. Many suspected frauds will be like this, explaining the missing percentages that PD was grandstanding about.

lola85 wrote: »
    People here blaming the likes of Maria Bailey for high premiums then praising Doherty for showing that claims aren’t the reason and it’s actually the insurance companies lying.

I don’t get it???

It's simple..

As I said yesterday, the problem is two-fold.

On one hand you have people exaggerating or making up claims in the hope of an easy payout

On the other you have Insurers claiming it's because of this that premiums are so high. In reality it seems, the number of such claims they forward to the Gardai for investigation (and prosecution) is tiny, suggesting that the issue is nowhere near on the scale they claim.

Both are a problem. Both need to be addressed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

nuac wrote: »
    Few of us have practical experience of planning or running large construction projects.
    Every small or medium sized business has had to face increasing insurance costs on the renewal ( or indeed refusal of a renewal ) of insurance. Varad claimed to be reaching out to such people who had to get up early in the morning. By letting Baileygate run they continue to remind that constituency of this fiasco.

In years to come books will be written and Ph.D theses submitted on how not to handle a PR problem. Baileygate will be the main example, and it still rumbles on.

Excellent post. Hits the nail on the head.
    People will feel the effects of Bailey/Farrell in their pockets for many years.

boombang wrote:
    I think Maria Bailey is a good example of why Pearse Doherty's questioning was over blown. Maria Bailey's claim was a clear example of attempted fraud to anyone with some common sense, but still doesn't present enough evidence to support a prosecution. Many suspected frauds will be like this, explaining the missing percentages that PD was grandstanding about.

Correct me if i'm wrong but shouldn't it be the government challenging the insurance industry and not an opposition TD. It is the job of government to protect the interests of the citizen and act in the best interests of the citizens. Although as I said FG have no credibility when it comes to insurance fraud.
    It would be easy for FG to enact legislation to deal with attempted insurance fraud but why would they, that would be like "poacher turned game keeper".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

boombang wrote: »
    The very idea of dodgy claims being referred to Gardai would be enough to dissuade a lot of people from chancing their arm.

Let our police force determine is they have a case to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Excellent post. Hits the nail on the head.
    People will feel the effects of Bailey/Farrell in their pockets for many years.

You reckon those two are largely responsible for high insurance premiums?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

pablo128 wrote: »
    The very idea of dodgy claims being referred to Gardai would be enough to dissuade a lot of people from chancing their arm.

Actually it's the DPP who does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,298 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

pablo128 wrote: »

Might be time to refer the insurance companies to the gardai.

Correct me if i'm wrong but shouldn't it be the government challenging the insurance industry and not an opposition TD. It is the job of government to protect the interests of the citizen and act in the best interests of the citizens. Although as I said FG have no credibility when it comes to insurance fraud.
    It would be easy for FG to enact legislation to deal with attempted insurance fraud but why would they, that would be like "poacher turned game keeper".
    Despite all the blustering he's as much part of the problem, - i.e. the inability of the Dail to get to grips with the issues around insurance claims. Legislation goes through stages including the type of committee he's on.

is_that_so wrote:
    Despite all the blustering he's as much part of the problem, - i.e. the inability of the Dail to get to grips with the issues around insurance claims. Legislation goes through stages including the type of committee he's on.
    Ah wondered how long it would take someone to blame those that don't set policy. What legislation to deal with high premia and fraud has the opposition blocked that was brought forward by government?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

You reckon those two are largely responsible for high insurance premiums?

There are 2 wrongs here I guess (fraud and profiteering) but when government TDs are part of the problem and making money from the problem, they certainly help facilitate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

This article on John and Maria Bailey is interesting...
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/05/29/eamonn-kelly-not-far-from-the-tree/

She didn’t lick it off the trees then..

If even half of that is true, FG are corrupt to the core.

• Advertisement

If even half of that is true, FG are corrupt to the core.

FG being corrupt is nothing new. Think M Lowery former minister for communication and DO'B.

Ah wondered how long it would take someone to blame those that don't set policy. What legislation to deal with high premia and fraud has the opposition blocked that was brought forward by government?
    How is it you've formed an opinion on a question you don't know the answer to? As always I'm happy with facts. Current Dail arithmetic means that almost anyone can propose legislation in this area. Policy is not legislation and I suggest you start with how legislation is produced.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/visit-and-learn/how-parliament-works/how-laws-are-made/

is_that_so wrote:
    How is it you've formed an opinion on a question you don't know the answer to? As always I'm happy with facts. Current Dail arithmetic means that almost anyone can propose legislation in this area. Policy is not legislation and I suggest you start with how legislation is produced.

Your only interest in facts seem to be those that do no cast FG in a bad light. Are you seriously suggesting the opposition in the Dail is frustrating FG's attempts to tackle the high cost of insurance and the damage it is doing? Can you highlight what measures FG as the governing party has introduced but is being twarted?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭golfball37

FG being corrupt is nothing new. Think M Lowery former minister for communication and DO'B.

FG used to maintain a higher standard as an alternative to FF. Lowry was expelled from the party years before Moriarty findings for example.
    For whatever reason they no longer have these principles which is sad.

Your only interest in facts seem to be those that do no cast FG in a bad light. Are you seriously suggesting the opposition in the Dail is frustrating FG's attempts to tackle the high cost of insurance and the damage it is doing? Can you highlight what measures FG as the governing party has introduced but is being twarted?
    Me no. They are doing that all by themselves. Why does the use of facts somehow make someone a defender of questionable performance? As for the legislation there is a FF PMB, which is at the 2nd stage.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/ga/debates/debate/dail/2019-04-16/35/

Here's the timeline of such a bill

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/bills/bill/2019/32/

golfball37 wrote:
    FG used to maintain a higher standard as an alternative to FF. Lowry was expelled from the party years before Moriarty findings for example. For whatever reason they no longer have these principles which is sad.

Was the Moriarty released and the findings acted on? DO'B was found to be a corrupt individual yet Enda Kenny when Taoiseach was happy to share the Dias at the NYSE with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I am absolutely positive that Madigan is heavily involved. Time will tell.

This article on John and Maria Bailey is interesting...
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/05/29/eamonn-kelly-not-far-from-the-tree/

The electorate in Dun Laoghaire must be a forgiving bunch.

That’s fairly damning if true.
    And he got away with it.

is_that_so wrote:
    Here's the timeline of such a bill

So what has the opposition done to thwart FG efforts to deal with high insurance costs?

So what has the opposition done to thwart FG efforts to deal with high insurance costs?
    Procedure in the legislature is that if the government has decided not to oppose a bill it goes through its stages to eventually become law. They don't propose their own so not much thwarting going on.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote:
    Procedure in the legislature is that if the government has decided not to oppose a bill it goes through its stages to eventually become law. They don't propose their own so not much thwarting going on.

So you agree that no-one is thwarting FG in their attempt as the party of government to deal with crippling insurance costs. So what legislation has FG brought forward to deal with the situation? I can't find any.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement