Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

R869 - Sligo Western Distributor Road - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Fencing in place in Ballydoogan, I'm looking at it now.

Trying to find a map of this route.....

Will there be a junction with Oakfield road?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WestCoast2017

Where is this road going? Are there any maps or images of the route?

From the end of the existing phase I section of the WDR, at Ballydoogan traffic lights junction, to the Caltragh roundabout.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Geuze wrote: »

My understanding of this scheme isnt so much to act as a bypass of the existing Strandhill road but more to open up major swathes of land for housing development.

Badly needed - Sligo really needs to grow, double in size over the next 15-20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JupiterKid wrote: »
    My understanding of this scheme isnt so much to act as a bypass of the existing Strandhill road but more to open up major swathes of land for housing development.

Badly needed - Sligo really needs to grow, double in size over the next 15-20 years.
    Not only for housing, also for the IDA for industrial development.

It gives good access to the N4 which is very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,832 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

should be finishing up now today
    Fencing works will continue on the Western Distributor Road Phase 2 in the townlands of Ballydoogan, Oakfield, Maugheraboy and Caltragh. Traffic management will be in place on the Oakfield Road L– 3601, the Ballydoogan Road L– 9406 and Rusheen Lane in Caltragh for access and egress to the site. Minor delays are expected with works expected to be complete on the 4th May.
    http://www.sligococo.ie/PublicNotices/TrafficReportWC30thApril2018/

Maybe a little off topic, but theres a LOT more of this type of distributor road needed in Ireland. If you look at a map of any town you'll see the development happening along the main national and regional roads and nothing but green fields (or in Limericks case also a half dozen unused or underused railway branches) in between.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Shane Ross wrote:
    While the construction of the western distributor road was not included in the original Building on Recovery capital plan, nevertheless my Department facilitated the development of the project by providing grant assistance for the project planning and design over a number of years.

As for the construction phase of the project, my Department made a strong case for additional funding under the capital plan review and, following the conclusion of the review in 2017, significant extra funding was allocated to my Department in the period to 2021. I was, therefore, very glad to be able to commit grant funding for the construction phase of the distributor road.

Sligo County Council, as the statutory road authority, is responsible for implementation of the distributor road scheme which is, I understand, at land acquisition stage. The council is required to comply with the requirements of the public spending code, the Department’s capital appraisal framework and the memorandum relating to the provision of grants for regional and local roads. In this context, during 2017, approval was given to the council to proceed with the detailed design of the scheme and the preparation of contract documents. In addition, approval was given to the council to proceed with an advance works contract for fencing and site clearance. I understand that the fencing work is now substantially complete.

Grant funding of €800,000 has been allocated to the scheme this year. The project tender documentation has been finalised and was submitted to my Department for review in mid-April. Approval has recently been given to the council to invite tenders for the main construction contract.

Latest from the Minister.

• Advertisement

Some drone footage of work done so far

https://twitter.com/sligococo/status/1116642452004380672

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭waterboy15

Is there any truth to the rumour that Sligo Co Co has put a halt to the completion of this project, so close to the end ?

Could the council not have put a roundabout here ?
    data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1sgobfar6uI4FmX_f2A01SyA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!9m2!1b1!2i41

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

waterboy15 wrote: »
    Could the council not have put a roundabout here ?
    data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1sgobfar6uI4FmX_f2A01SyA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!9m2!1b1!2i41
    They should have it’s an awful junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 the deuce

This road is expected to open October 16th

www. oceanfm.ie/2020/09/08/western-distributor-route-in-sligo-expected-to-open-next-month/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

the deuce wrote: »
    www. oceanfm.ie/2020/09/08/western-distributor-route-in-sligo-expected-to-open-next-month/
    From that article:
    Ocean FM wrote:
    It’s hoped heavy goods vehicles will take the new route and therefore alleviate congestion on the Inner Relief Road.
    Why would HGVs use this route unless they were going to Strandhill - is there that much of a demand for HGVs in Strandhill?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

serfboard wrote: »
    From that article:

Why would HGVs use this route unless they were going to Strandhill - is there that much of a demand for HGVs in Strandhill?

They're probably the ones heading for Finiskiln Ind. Est. It will certainly help there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

They're probably the ones heading for Finiskiln Ind. Est. It will certainly help there.
    You're right of course, and I can see that it would be very useful for that.

I'll be using it myself for accessing Knocknarea - whenever Covid restrictions are eased ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Opening planned mid-october. Not happened.

Any info why?

joujoujou wrote: »
    Opening planned mid-october. Not happened.

Any info why?

Rumour has it there is a financial issue with the contractor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

zorro2566 wrote: »

Why is there should a wide hatched space between the lanes? Also
    Scheme details
    9km of single urban distributor road between the existing N4 junction (Caltragh) and the existing Ballydoogan Road
    Verges with 2km cycleway and 2m footway on each side of the carriageway

The cycleway should obviously be 2m, not 2km, but is the distributor road actually 9km long?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, its only just 2km or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

L1011 wrote: »
    No, its only just 2km or so.

That's what I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Why is there a wide hatched space between the lanes?
    It's so that right-turning lanes at junctions don't force the straight-on traffic to veer to the left. The link roads for the Waterford Outer Ring Road use the same pattern.

Construction work on the Sligo Western Distributor Road Phase II is completed & will be opened to traffic on Monday January 11th from 4pm. @OceanFmIreland @IDAIRELAND @IDANorthWest @sligoweekender @SligoChampion @Sligo
    https://t.co/3eCrKZCyry
    https://t.co/edJHxvsOnE https://t.co/ods6zVmRnK

• Advertisement

It’s open now!

Advertisement