31-07-2020, 23:29   #661
Guru Maith Agut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Crispy View Post
Does anyone know where I could get a solid wood countertop in or around the Dublin area? I know of woodworkers.ie but my Google-fu is failing me in finding others. It's just going to be used to make an office desk.
Would you be happy enough using pine? If so Strahan Timber do laminated pine sheets.

Sizes here.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-08-2020, 12:23   #662
bamayang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muahahaha View Post
Im looking to make a kitchen table hopefully out of a single slab of wood from a tree with a nice grain, approx 1m wide by 2m long and a few inches thick. Is that something that sawmills do or is it more a tree surgeon that I need to find? Have tried Clonee sawmills but its not something they carry.

Also in terms of the grain is it potluck on what trees they are cutting or is this something they might have in stock where you have a choice of a few options? Have no ideas what way tree surgeons or sawmills work.

I did pretty much this at Xmas this year. Bought two ash slabs off a timber Miller in Tipperary, 8’x3’, 3” thick. Slabs were €100 each, had been air drying a year or two. Prob cost me €500 including metal for legs, small bit epoxy and finish coat.
(2) thanks from:
05-08-2020, 10:03   #663
Bungusbeefcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Crispy View Post
Does anyone know where I could get a solid wood countertop in or around the Dublin area? I know of woodworkers.ie but my Google-fu is failing me in finding others. It's just going to be used to make an office desk.
I use Hearts Wood Heritage, based just near Naas in Kildare. Dara is the man there and he's great. He'll go through all the types of wood he has, discuss what you're looking for, show you the slabs and everything so you can pick out what you want with the character you like and work within your budget. Honestly, he's great. I got a slab of Beech for my kitchen table and another near end slab which I've turned into a bench.
I'm also picking up random small live edge pieces up off him this weekend to turn into shelves.
He kiln dries the wood which really helps.

http://heartswoodheritage.ie/shop/
06-08-2020, 17:15   #664
magicbastarder

not the usual sort of question about wood supplies here - does anyone know of a supplier of materials suitable for building a low wattle fence for a raised veg bed? or if anyone has tried it and has and dos and dont's.
i.e. i'd be looking for maybe 40 stakes up to two foot long each to be driven into the ground, probably a foot or so apart, and probably a load of hazel rods to weave between them.
rustic is obviously fine, and i do appreciate i'd have to replace it every few years.
06-08-2020, 17:43   #665
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamayang View Post
I did pretty much this at Xmas this year. Bought two ash slabs off a timber Miller in Tipperary, 8’x3’, 3” thick. Slabs were €100 each, had been air drying a year or two. Prob cost me €500 including metal for legs, small bit epoxy and finish coat.

cheers thanks,thats exactly my line of thinking too. Had been looking around the usual shops for kitchen tables and theres nothing decent without spending big money so thought to make one instead. Hoping I can bring it in for less than 500 or 600 and a bit of work and end up with something unique.

How did the epoxy work out for you? Was looking at a few youtube videos the other night where people make 'river tables' with dyed epoxy running down the middle. Looks interesting but was wondering does epoxy stand up to a lot of hard use or does it get scratched over time? Im interesting in the idea of using it but also want this table to last decades and still look in good condition years from now.
Advertisement
11-08-2020, 13:47   #666
bamayang

Epoxy is very scary to go at at first, but really its pretty straightforward. John McGrath on youtube did a good video on it recently, where he covered a lot of detail and risks.
I only have it at one end of the table, and i never sit at that end, so it isnt in constant use. But over last 6 months its still scratchless. It dulls a little but still looks good.
I wouldnt be a fan of the river or coloured epoxy tables at all, i think they're a little bit of a fad that will date quite quickly. I just used enough to fill a few holes/cracks.

Below is the table, two epoxy pours about a pint of material each at the near end (clear).

11-08-2020, 14:01   #667
Muahahaha

wow that looks gorgeous, great job. Can I ask where you got the legs as they're simialar to what I was going to source, lots available online but I want to try get something that is heavy duty. And how much were they?

I completely get what you're saying about epoxy tables being a bit of a fad. Im in two minds in that some examples you see online look fantastic but I wonder how they would look in 10 years time. Im kind of conflicted on going the epoxy route or just getting a plain slab and working with that.

Aside from the epoxy dulling a bit would you say it is scratchable with use over time? Its not like Id be jumping up and down it but just unsure of how durable epoxy actually is. Im not planning on replacing this table so want to get it right first time.
11-08-2020, 14:20   #668
bamayang

Ah no I would say its very hard wearing. However if you have any little people in your life, they might take a knife or fork to it someday while waiting for dinner, and it wont put up with that. It is as hard wearing as timber, probably harder, but much more visible if someone does put a scratch in it.

I made the legs myself, bought 100mm x 50mm box and 100mm x 10mm flat iron. The steel prob cost around €200. Id imagine they would be 3-400 to buy fabricated. I wouldnt buy them online personally, any decent quality ones are going to be expensive and shipping will be a disaster. If you cant make your own, google your nearest steel fabricator and give them a bell, it'd be a few hours work for a good fabricator, and theyd be happy with a simple little cash job.
Thanks from:
11-08-2020, 21:09   #669
awec
Category Moderator

Can I ask where ye got the light bamayang?

Table is lovely!
Advertisement
11-08-2020, 22:15   #670
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamayang View Post
Ah no I would say its very hard wearing. However if you have any little people in your life, they might take a knife or fork to it someday while waiting for dinner, and it wont put up with that. It is as hard wearing as timber, probably harder, but much more visible if someone does put a scratch in it.
Thats good to know that its hard wearing. Just got to make a decision on whether or not it is too fad-ish as I want it to last a long time. A regular table made of slab like your own feels more timeless as such. But I do like the bright turquoise/blue colours in epoxy tables and it looks great up against live edges. Decisions, decisions...

Quote:
I made the legs myself, bought 100mm x 50mm box and 100mm x 10mm flat iron. The steel prob cost around €200. Id imagine they would be 3-400 to buy fabricated. I wouldnt buy them online personally, any decent quality ones are going to be expensive and shipping will be a disaster. If you cant make your own, google your nearest steel fabricator and give them a bell, it'd be a few hours work for a good fabricator, and theyd be happy with a simple little cash job.
Yeah was dubious about buying them online as you dont really know what you're getting till they arrive and then sending them back is costly if it needs to be done. Have a fabricator up the road so will see what he could do.

Last edited by Muahahaha; 11-08-2020 at 22:21.
11-08-2020, 22:51   #671
bamayang

Quote:
Originally Posted by awec View Post
Can I ask where ye got the light bamayang?

Table is lovely!
Something like “light solutions” in portlaoise. It’s on the Kilenard road out of portaoise. Really nice place.

Edit: “Design options” I was way off.
Thanks from:
30-10-2020, 21:32   #672
kadman

Found a new supplier for my blanks for woodturning.

And he lives less than 3 mile from me, and never knew he was there

Great selection of all native timbers, spalted as well. Bought myself some
monkey puzzle blanks 15x3 1/2 .
And a nice 4'x 14 x 4" of spalted sycamore.

Price is very reasonable I thought 80 euro the lot, and its good quality stuff.

Also going back to look at the breaking cut of a 6' length of spalted sycamore.
And if its good, which I suspect it will be, a 5" thick slab will be about 145 euro.

Good knowledgeable young chap...............

He is on adverts under Irish Timber Slabs., and situated in Dysart, Westmeath

Last edited by kadman; 31-10-2020 at 00:51.
(2) thanks from:
30-10-2020, 22:32   #673
magicbastarder

cheers - this seems to be the chap:

https://www.adverts.ie/member/1455955
31-10-2020, 00:53   #674
kadman

Sorry lads, its this guy I meant,

https://www.adverts.ie/member/1455955
01-12-2020, 20:04   #675
ablelocks

junior cert project time :

my son has a design for a side table that he is really stuck on, but i suspect his dimensions won't make it easy to source the timber.

he needs

1 board of Ash - 350mm deep, 1150 long and 25mm thick
1 board of Walnut - 350mm x 750mm x 25mm
(finished dimensions)

any recommendations/suggestions greatly appreciated....

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion