18-04-2019, 15:59   #541
brane.nikic87

Thank you, lads, for all the info. I will try to ring a couple of places and weight which would be the best option.
Advertisement
18-04-2019, 19:40   #542
sammyjo90

Howdy!
My next door neighbour was told the other day that Yew wood fetches quite a good price and he just so happens to have a couple on his land. Would anyone like to put forward an average price of the wood itself? He's interested to see how much and might think of selling them to someone interested in making something
18-04-2019, 20:22   #543
magicbastarder

he won't get much. the value might be in dimensioned dried timber, but standing trees not so much.
would also depend on the size of the trees.
10-05-2019, 22:38   #544
Calahonda52

Timber Supplier in Thurles

Can across these guys today
Arthur P Dinan Limited

Railway Rd, Stradavoher, Thurles, Co. Tipperary
(0504) 21100

Do a wide range of timbers, hard/soft/machined/plane/graded to G25/etc

Nice bunch of lads as well.

They also pressure treat to order
12-05-2019, 15:00   #545
blueballooncat

Hardwood

Looking to get a 420 x 297 x 12 mm sheet of hardwood of any kind or (2) 210 x 297 x 12 mm sheets for a project, are these measurements just too specific or is there anywhere that I might be able to get one?
I'm living near Clonmel so anywhere near there would be ideal.
Advertisement
18-05-2019, 22:23   #546
Prenderb

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueballooncat View Post
Looking to get a 420 x 297 x 12 mm sheet of hardwood of any kind or (2) 210 x 297 x 12 mm sheets for a project, are these measurements just too specific or is there anywhere that I might be able to get one?
I'm living near Clonmel so anywhere near there would be ideal.
A3 and A4 sized? That's quite wide - does it have to be hardwood?

They're not too specific but I think the 12mm might be hard to get and you might find it expensive if you want these to be a single board.

Last edited by Prenderb; 18-05-2019 at 22:32.
06-06-2019, 19:14   #547
rgbnb

Hi,

Does anyone know of some hardwood suppliers near Galway City? Just a hobbyist woodworker so not looking for large quantities. Mainly interested in oak/mahogany/walnut/maple planks but would like to work on some live edge projects in the future. Any help/suggestions appreciated thanks.
06-06-2019, 22:51   #548
kadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbnb View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know of some hardwood suppliers near Galway City? Just a hobbyist woodworker so not looking for large quantities. Mainly interested in oak/mahogany/walnut/maple planks but would like to work on some live edge projects in the future. Any help/suggestions appreciated thanks.

I remember COENS had a place in Galway at one time that was an excellent source of all timbers. But dont know if they are still there at all.
07-06-2019, 02:34   #549
rgbnb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadman View Post
I remember COENS had a place in Galway at one time that was an excellent source of all timbers. But dont know if they are still there at all.
Thanks for the reply. All I can find is Coen steel in Galway, an article in the Independent suggested they moved away from building materials in general to just steel. Will look a bit more into it.
Advertisement
07-06-2019, 17:27   #550
mayo.mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgbnb View Post
Thanks for the reply. All I can find is Coen steel in Galway, an article in the Independent suggested they moved away from building materials in general to just steel. Will look a bit more into it.
I think there's a place out in Oranmore that does hardwoods. I get my Ash, Beech and Elm off a guy in Corrofinn who has his own sawmill setup at his house.

Edit:

You could try Mc Mahons and I think Brooks have a hardware there, they might carry hardwoods. I got my Cherry and Walnut from Brooks in Sligo.

Last edited by mayo.mick; 07-06-2019 at 17:36. Reason: Added info
Thanks from:
15-07-2019, 01:46   #551
Aodhan5000

Hi all,
Living in West limerick/Kerry border. Looking to get into woodwork and need timber. Mostly softwood like pine and maybe a little hardwood such as walnut. Anyone know and good quality and good value suppliers down and around there?
22-07-2019, 16:10   #552
recipio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodhan5000 View Post
Hi all,
Living in West limerick/Kerry border. Looking to get into woodwork and need timber. Mostly softwood like pine and maybe a little hardwood such as walnut. Anyone know and good quality and good value suppliers down and around there?
JP Corry in Cahir Co Tipp had a fantastic stock of hardwoods and softwoods but its been a few years since I was there.
The main problem is delivery unless you have the means of transporting it yourself. My next car will be a pickup truck
29-09-2019, 13:04   #553
Calahonda52

Apple tree for wood turning

will be cutting down an apple tree and someone suggested that the timber might suit some for wood turning.
Two questions:
1: what's the minimum girth: ie circumference. that would be suitable.
2: what's the optimum length for allowing it season, I gather wood turners prefer to season their own before cutting into blanks so, subject to weight issues, what is a good length.
It will be a while before I get it felled, just planning.
Its ex Nenagh, Co Tipp, current home of Liam McCarthy.
Thanks from:
09-10-2019, 20:51   #554
Guru Maith Agut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo.mick View Post
I got my Cherry and Walnut from Brooks in Sligo.
Hi Mick. Do that Brooks store carry these hardwoods in lengths pre-cut? I was on their website and didn't see any hardwood lumber advertised..

Been looking for a supplier I can rely on for these particular species so this would be great news!
09-10-2019, 23:20   #555
mayo.mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Maith Agut View Post
Hi Mick. Do that Brooks store carry these hardwoods in lengths pre-cut? I was on their website and didn't see any hardwood lumber advertised..

Been looking for a supplier I can rely on for these particular species so this would be great news!
You need to call into them. They have no actual inventory of the wood they have. You need to go down to the end of the warehouse and the lad on the forklift will take the bundles down of the rack. They are all different lengths and widts and thickness. Pick out your planks and they'll measure up what you have and work out how much it is. They lads told me if I was looking for something in particular they didn't have, they'd give there other stores a shout and if they'd have it, would send it down on the next load. Very helpful so they are!
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion