Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Power carving treated wood

• 22-02-2021 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi
    I took up power carving with dremel as a hobby during lockdown. Hardest part is finding wood to carve. I wanted to ask about the lengths of wood you can buy in B&Q and if they would be any good for carving. I read somewhere that you should not carve treated wood as the saw dust can be bad for you. Is that true??
    Ì was looking at this piece of wood in B&Q and was hoping for some advise about it being ok for for dremel carving.
    Thanks for reading
    https://www.diy.com/departments/smooth-planed-square-edge-whitewood-spruce-stick-timber-l-2-1m-w-32mm-t-12mm/1798331

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

link broken.
    Yes, better to carve first and then treat, using a face mask anyway

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what sort of woods do you typically carve with?
    most wood you'd buy in a lumber yard would not be treated, it's only the wood intended for outdoor use that would be treated, would be my understanding?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

link broken.
    Yes, better to carve first and then treat, using a face mask anyway
    Sorry about that. Here is new link. Would that be ok to use. I just carve designs into wood or make small boxes and holders.

https://www.diy.com/departments/rough-sawn-whitewood-spruce-timber-l-2-4m-w-30mm-t-10mm/1798304_BQ.prd

what sort of woods do you typically carve with?
    most wood you'd buy in a lumber yard would not be treated, it's only the wood intended for outdoor use that would be treated, would be my understanding?
    Anything i can find but if i can buy a 2 meter length of wood for a couple of euro then that would be great.
    I was looking at this.
    Thanks

https://www.diy.com/departments/rough-sawn-whitewood-spruce-timber-l-2-4m-w-30mm-t-10mm/1798304_BQ.prd

I can only imagine someone here would be only too happy to send you something in exchange for the cost of a delivery/postage, much more suitable for carving. Any of the wood you get from DIY shops will be rubbish for carving, power carving or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i have a reasonable pile of chunks of wood i'm trying to get my head around trying to fit on the lathe, or in various stages of drying.
    seems kinda amusing though, sending what would look like (to most people) a chunk of firewood in the post.

i have at least 100 sq foot of oak floorboards a neighbour crowbarred up, for example.

JayZeus wrote: »
    I can only imagine someone here would be only too happy to send you something in exchange for the cost of a delivery/postage, much more suitable for carving. Any of the wood you get from DIY shops will be rubbish for carving, power carving or not.

Good idea, I am in if it works:
    so OP,
    • where about are you located?
    • post a few pics of your work

Good idea, I am in if it works:
    so OP,
    • where about are you located?
    • post a few pics of your work
    :eek: I live in Swords and as i said i only took it up as a hobby during lockdown so no way im posting pics. I was just hoping that the wood in link would be ok as its just a hobby.

depending on which side of swords you live, our 5km circles might intersect. the wood you would get in b&q would be very soft, easy to carve into certainly, but the finish might be rough (the grain will tear easily).
    as mentioned, i have oak flooring and i could easily spare some lengths; the top surface has a finish on it though.

:eek: I live in Swords and as i said i only took it up as a hobby during lockdown so no way im posting pics. I was just hoping that the wood in link would be ok as its just a hobby.

Why not, all the lads in this section want to help others, we don't judge, so you will only learn from sharing.
    Your work is what it is: what others make it mean is just the opinion of others, nothing more, so who give a toss anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Only some woods are suitable for carving. You need a close grained and knot free wood and lime is the traditional carvers choice. I buy veneers from this site : www.oakdalecrafts.co.uk but they also sell lime blanks. Using the correct wood makes all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

I I was put on disability 2 years ago and power carving has literally been a life saver for me. I cleared out the shed lick a paint a neighbour who lives next door and a carpenter asked what I was doing told him and he put up a fantastic work bench and shelves absolute gent.

Now here's how I get my wood nearly all my pals are tradesmen a pal dropped me in 4 7ft x 14 inch x 2inch of Teak. That will last me well over a year with carving. When I started out I bought a bag of logs from the shops for €2.50 I practiced on them for months and eventually got to turn out some good pieces even tho I'd no clue what I was working with.

How to get wood.

1. Let all your pals know you're looking for wood.

2. Drive around industrial estates see a skip as can you take some wood if there is any.

3. MDF is cheap as chips as a great "wood" to practice on.

Please keep at it I'm a year down the road and i look forward to every morning I'm even getting to sell a few pieces now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

https://www.thecarpentrystore.com/p/european-lime/p-europeanlime

Also if you have some spare change this is the wood every woodcarver loves working on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Try to buy lime directly from a saw mill, its a cheaper option than from an online outlet.

Advertisement