Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wall Cabinet or TV Unit

Options
  • 21-02-2021 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking for advice. We have just moved into a new house and need advice for our living room.

Its a large room with wooden floors, all we have in so far is a large corner sofa. The wall with the TV is blank, about 13 ft long. Can anybody recommend what we should do? It would be a huge area to have something built on the wall (and expensive). Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Marty1983 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    Looking for advice. We have just moved into a new house and need advice for our living room.

Its a large room with wooden floors, all we have in so far is a large corner sofa. The wall with the TV is blank, about 13 ft long. Can anybody recommend what we should do? It would be a huge area to have something built on the wall (and expensive). Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
    M
    Hi Marty,
    I'm surprised that nobody has responded yet,
    I've recently installed four televisions on the walls of my home with a wired network aswell as different setup's to suit the layout of each room,

In my living room; I purchased a very cheap free-standing IKEA unit along with an additional shelf, to fit vertically in the unit concealing cables,
    I plan to get a proper cabinet made at a later date,

First question for you though:
    Are there any cables or sattelite outlet points on the wall,
    If you get time please upload a picture or two

Have you any experience in doing this before? I can guide as best possible just determine's how much detail I need to go in to in explaining.

Finally then is the house a new build;
    If yes then it may have a central area for all aerial and sattelite ports, perhaps network too.

I look forward to your response thanks

We had two different types of built ins done recently - one in the TV room and one in a family area (since got a bigger TV). Running low units along the bottom works well and incorporating a stove can make the room much cosier. Whatever you do, try and put the TV at a comfortable height for viewing. Both walls around 11ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Those built-ins are lovely. Can I ask roughly what they cost? I'd love to get something similar in the future. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Look at Besta units from IKEA on Instagram. They look great with Tv above, and double up as storage, seating with padding, people have made them look fab
    Follow the Scandinavian homes for ideas EG #nordichome

Those built-ins are lovely. Can I ask roughly what they cost? I'd love to get something similar in the future. Thanks

PM me if you want details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭misc2013

Also interested and pics look great but any pics for TV unit in an alcove? We're also debating what to go for here, standalone TV unit or full shelving incorporating TV unit. Thanks.

Advertisement