Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Signs that you're getting old

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

If the book was lost, could you do a search on a website (maybe rhymes with schmoogle or schmahoo) to find the suggested list online.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,143 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If the book was lost, could you do a search on a website (maybe rhymes with schmoogle or schmahoo) to find the suggested list online.

you mean alta vista or Ask Jeeves?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

When stuff you remember from your childhood has become both obsolete and collectable. That's how you know you're middle aged. When stuff from your adulthood and working life becomes both obsolete and collectable that's when you know you're elderly. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

This is a great thread. I’m 33 and have been an old man for quite some time; last year I moved out of London to a town outside it and the process seems to have accelerated a bit.

- I ache all over from injuries accumulated from boxing in my 20s. My knees hurt, my shoulder is blown out, my back flares up at times. I can train around it but every morning is a tentative ten minutes while I work the creaks out.

- I haven’t a clue about half the things people bang on about. I’ve no idea how to illegally download a film or a series. Even then I wouldn’t watch a film on the computer. I’ve no idea how to connect a laptop to the telly.

- Music is rubbish. I haven’t a clue who anyone is. I went on a date a couple of years ago with a black one and she was telling me about all these grime artists and all I could say to her was I mostly listened to Planxty these days.

- My missus has arranged a few double dates with her mates and their partners with the idea I’ll be friends with them. I’ve loads of friends. I don’t want any more. They might be sound fellas but I couldn’t be arsed. If I want to see my friends they’re not far away.

- When I do visit friends the idea of anything like some trendy late bar gives me the shivers. Loud music, packed pubs, dressing up. If I go into town now it’s for some Irish pub to drink stout in peace.

- find myself waking up earlier for a p*ss.

- Started growing stuff during lockdown and love it now. Love a bit of Garden Rescue on the telly. Love a Sunday in B and Q getting garden stuff.

- my partner loves organised activities. Gender reveals, birthdays, engagements, Christmas etc. Goes all out. I find the idea of them torture. We had an argument last year because I wouldn’t wear fancy dress. Allergic to the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

when you think songs like In The Summertime by Mungo Jerry are racy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Marcus Thurman playing for France in the European Championships

So what says you?

I remember his father Lilian Thuram playing for France in 1998

I do remember playing underage GAA and having coaches talk about my uncle who playing inter-county footballs pffft, ancient history said I

Now I watch sports and remember their family 15-20 year ago :eek:

Looking at didier deschamps and thinking he looks ancient. Then you realise you are practically the same age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

My fridge packed in at the weekend. I thought I had it a few years, looked at the plate on the back 2005. Phoned up the customer service number to order a new filter for my hoover. A lad who sounded about 12 said they hadn't made that model for years. I feel like I've been in hibernation for about 10 years and the world has moved on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

madmaggie wrote: »
    My fridge packed in at the weekend. I thought I had it a few years, looked at the plate on the back 2005. Phoned up the customer service number to order a new filter for my hoover. A lad who sounded about 12 said they hadn't made that model for years. I feel like I've been in hibernation for about 10 years and the world has moved on.

You might be able to find them on the internet, as opposed to from the actual company, but I feel your pain/annoyance. Planned obsolescence is such a waste: my uncle bought a fridge in the 1950s for my grandmother, it's still working. The only things it ever needed to have replaced were the rubber seals and maybe to get the gas topped up/replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Went to an 18th of my wife’s cousin. Was literally twice the age of the birthday girl and spent the whole night talking to the various kids parents. That’s when you know you’re old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

FTA69 wrote: »
    This is a great thread. I’m 33 and have been an old man for quite some time; last year I moved out of London to a town outside it and the process seems to have accelerated a bit.

- I ache all over from injuries accumulated from boxing in my 20s. My knees hurt, my shoulder is blown out, my back flares up at times. I can train around it but every morning is a tentative ten minutes while I work the creaks out.

- I haven’t a clue about half the things people bang on about. I’ve no idea how to illegally download a film or a series. Even then I wouldn’t watch a film on the computer. I’ve no idea how to connect a laptop to the telly.

- Music is rubbish. I haven’t a clue who anyone is. I went on a date a couple of years ago with a black one and she was telling me about all these grime artists and all I could say to her was I mostly listened to Planxty these days.

- My missus has arranged a few double dates with her mates and their partners with the idea I’ll be friends with them. I’ve loads of friends. I don’t want any more. They might be sound fellas but I couldn’t be arsed. If I want to see my friends they’re not far away.

- When I do visit friends the idea of anything like some trendy late bar gives me the shivers. Loud music, packed pubs, dressing up. If I go into town now it’s for some Irish pub to drink stout in peace.

- find myself waking up earlier for a p*ss.

- Started growing stuff during lockdown and love it now. Love a bit of Garden Rescue on the telly. Love a Sunday in B and Q getting garden stuff.

- my partner loves organised activities. Gender reveals, birthdays, engagements, Christmas etc. Goes all out. I find the idea of them torture. We had an argument last year because I wouldn’t wear fancy dress. Allergic to the idea.

:D:D:D Sounds like you enjoyed the lock downs just like me ??

:D:D:D Sounds like you enjoyed the lock downs just like me ??

I didn’t to be honest mate. Bored out of my box, couldn’t do my job properly and left hanging around stupid Milton Keynes and not able to go home for 18 months and counting.

I forgot to add sleeping. The idea of a lie in is gone; I’m wide awake at 7am or before every morning. Doesn’t matter if I’m after pints the night before either, wide f*cking awake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I forgot to add sleeping. The idea of a lie in is gone; I’m wide awake at 7am or before every morning. Doesn’t matter if I’m after pints the night before either, wide f*cking awake.

I'm 33 as well. Started going to the gym at 06:30 as well now that I'm too old to get much out of it. No idea why but getting up has been no bother at all. There was a time that being out of bed at half 8 was an accomplishment for me.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I'm 33 as well. Started going to the gym at 06:30 as well now that I'm too old to get much out of it. No idea why but getting up has been no bother at all. There was a time that being out of bed at half 8 was an accomplishment for me.

same here. On the flip i'm usually in bed by 11.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

same here. On the flip i'm usually in bed by 11.

That's another weird one. A few years back, it was common enough for me to be up to half past midnight watching Netflix or playing a game. The amount of times I've seen the clock at 10 or shortly after and decided that I fancied an early night is ridiculous.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Marcus Thurman playing for France in the European Championships

So what says you?

I remember his father Lilian Thuram playing for France in 1998

I do remember playing underage GAA and having coaches talk about my uncle who playing inter-county footballs pffft, ancient history said I

Now I watch sports and remember their family 15-20 year ago :eek:

I was expecting the commentator to say he was Lilian's brother

That’s my point. I’d quite like the ability to doze in at the weekends but I’m physically unable to do it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm 33 as well. Started going to the gym at 06:30 as well now that I'm too old to get much out of it.
    33 lads? 33? I've got twenty years on you both and nothing's creaking yet. *crosses fingers. They don't crack* :D Ahh jaysus at 33 I was only getting into my own head and stride. Outside of childhood years I'd reckon the years between 30 and 45 were the best of my life so far. Women, health, travel, money and so forth. And I still like a lie in of a weekend. Though to be fair I'm a night creature so would rarely hit the hay before midnight, if not one. Music wise I was always an oddball anyway as even in my teens I generally listened to older non current non chart stuff. Listened more to current stuff in the 90's though. That said pre my 40's I would have known of current stuff in the charts, that switched off almost overnight. I'd have zero clue today, nor interest. Though a mate of mine the same age has never lost his interest in music and would be well up on the current "indie" scene and would know the mainstream stuff too, so it's not inevitable.

As for the gym at 33, unless you really fecked yourself up and let yourself go in your twenties as a bloke your testosterone levels are not much lower than they were when you were 18. If you start lifting heavy weights and eateing and sleeping well there's a good chance you'd push the levels higher than they were at 18. Your stamina should be good too. If you look at something like the Tour De France bike race list of winners an awful lot of them were in their 30's. IIRC the oldest was a lad of 39. Juan Fangio one of the greatest racing drivers in history only got into a Formula One car in his late 30's and ended up winning the world championship five times and had the highest percentage of wins ever. When he was 47 in the German Grand prix IIRC after some holdups left him way behind everyone else he went on to break lap record after lap record until he won.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I'm getting more out of the gym in my 30's and I think I look better now. But yeah it can be difficult if you have any niggling injuries. I've noticed my elbow is clicking lately when bench pressing. I get tendonitis flareups every now and again. It takes longer to recover too. The delayed onset muscle soreness is a fecker. Thankfully I've no issues when it comes to jogging though, despite a previous knee injury.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Wibbs, the thread title says "you're getting old", not "you are old". :D

Wibbs wrote: »
    33 lads? 33? I've got twenty years on you both and nothing's creaking yet. *crosses fingers. They don't crack* :D Ahh jaysus at 33 I was only getting into my own head and stride. Outside of childhood years I'd reckon the years between 30 and 45 were the best of my life so far. Women, health, travel, money and so forth. And I still like a lie in of a weekend. Though to be fair I'm a night creature so would rarely hit the hay before midnight, if not one. Music wise I was always an oddball anyway as even in my teens I generally listened to older non current non chart stuff. Listened more to current stuff in the 90's though. That said pre my 40's I would have known of current stuff in the charts, that switched off almost overnight. I'd have zero clue today, nor interest. Though a mate of mine the same age has never lost his interest in music and would be well up on the current "indie" scene and would know the mainstream stuff too, so it's not inevitable.

As for the gym at 33, unless you really fecked yourself up and let yourself go in your twenties as a bloke your testosterone levels are not much lower than they were when you were 18. If you start lifting heavy weights and eateing and sleeping well there's a good chance you'd push the levels higher than they were at 18. Your stamina should be good too. If you look at something like the Tour De France bike race list of winners an awful lot of them were in their 30's. IIRC the oldest was a lad of 39. Juan Fangio one of the greatest racing drivers in history only got into a Formula One car in his late 30's and ended up winning the world championship five times and had the highest percentage of wins ever. When he was 47 in the German Grand prix IIRC after some holdups left him way behind everyone else he went on to break lap record after lap record until he won.

Thanks.

Started doing some solo travel back in the days when we'd just go to other places just for the sake of it. I feel like I've the head screwed on and I'm using my spare time more productively in that I'm not faffing about doing nonsense I've no interest in. I do feel a bit like a young fogey though.

I've no interest in the aul music myself but a housemate the same age knows all about stuff like Grime which is apparently some genre of music or something. I've a classic rock and a running mix I use on Spotify at the gym and that's the extent of my relationship with music.

Women I don't see myself ever getting. Just don't seem to understand them. This is fine enough as I've enough stuff to occupy myself with and I do like my freedom and alone time. That said, I work in a majority female workplace and I don't know when women are being friendly with me or (if) they're interested. Said hello to someone in the gym I thought was attractive. We were both wearing headphones. I think she ignored me but then she smiles and says hello when she sees me on the street a different day.

I wouldn't be bummed out about the getting older thing but I do feel like certain things are behind me. I was at a mate's stag in early 2020 and I felt quite out of place in the hotel nightclub we went to but rural Irish nightclubs tend to be a bit more mixed than I've noticed English ones are.

Apparently, Harrison Ford started acting in his forties. I know nothing about sport so that's all I can offer to engage with the latter paragraph there.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Signs that you're getting old:

When you stop wishing you could afford a Golf GTI.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

People's dates of birth on their CVs, as in, late 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭blackbox

Comhra wrote: »
    Signs that you're getting old:

When you stop wishing you could afford a Golf GTI.

That's ok if it's because you CAN afford a Golf GTi.

Wibbs wrote: »

Jesus hold on now a second I said I was injured not decrepit. I was competing in a sport for years and accumulated a load of injuries as a result, unlucky but there we go. Strength wise I’m solid and in the gym four days a week lifting but my days of three hour training sessions and loads of sparring are long gone.

Also weight goes on quicker and comes off slower!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

when you feel that the latest fashion trends are absolutely awful eg: at the mo its girls wearing massive boots with lovely dresses - to me its so wrong.. not pretty at all... but maybe pretty is not whats cool/fashionable.. but I don't get it.. i'm obv too old!!!

Jesus hold on now a second I said I was injured not decrepit. I was competing in a sport for years and accumulated a load of injuries as a result, unlucky but there we go. Strength wise I’m solid and in the gym four days a week lifting but my days of three hour training sessions and loads of sparring are long gone.

Also weight goes on quicker and comes off slower!

I think he was referring to me.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Went to a beer garden for a couple yesterday and the music they had playing was too loud. And it was sh!t - It was all chart stuff and some hip hop with swearing in it. I didn't know a single tune! Like Wibbs, I think my capacity switched off overnight.

On the topic of music I like the reruns of Top of the Pops 1991 on BBC4 on Friday nights. I know THOSE songs.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

As the saying goes, if its too loud you're too old.

Advertisement