Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcoholism

• 13-06-2020 5:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

What makes someone an alcoholic?

Asking for a friemd:o

I love getting pissed....think i went too far tonight:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Central Services

What seems to be the officer, problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Usual internet wanker....hope you get lots of thanks to make youfeel beter about your sad life

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭One_Time

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Usual internet wanker....hope you get lots of thanks to make youfeel beter about your sad life

Resentment is a sign of alcoholism. Saying that from personal experience, not to be smart.

https://www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie/new-to-aa/is-aa-for-you.254.html

Your story is coming apart at the seams.

If you were serious you would have posted in Personal Issues forum.

Actually if you genuinely had a problem you would speak to a real human. Which is all that might help, counselling, 12 step program an so on.

If you have a slight problem of self indulgence and indiscipline and have made the late night, intoxicated decision to engage After Hours then I welcome you into our warm and reassuring embrace and remind you that we are all going to die and don't take anything too seriously. ;)

One_Time wrote: »
    Resentment is a sign of alcoholism. Saying that from personal experience, not to be smart.

https://www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie/new-to-aa/is-aa-for-you.254.html

I dont resent anyine,,,,,but the link you sent is far too bright..it hurts my eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I think theres a difference between being a problem drinker and alcoholism.
    If it's effecting relationships, causing personal problems for yourself, you can never just have one drink and drink is having a negative impact in your life in anyway or your using drink as a crutch, you might want to knock it on the head, drink may just not be for you or you might just need to reevaluate your relationship with alcohol. If youre a problem drinker you should be able to do this yourself unassisted and stick to your own rules regarding how often and how much you drink.

Alcoholism is different, someone who has alcoholism cant quit drink without support.

Your story is coming apart at the seams.

If you were serious you would have posted in Personal Issues forum.

Actually if you genuinely had a problem you would speak to a real human. Which is all that might help, counselling, 12 step program an so on.

If you have a slight problem of self indulgence and indiscipline and have made the late night, intoxicated decision to engage After Hours then I welcome you into our warm and reassuring embrace and remind you that we are all going to die and don't take anything too seriously. ;)

Cheeers....personal issues is to straight laced foe me...i like th normaliy of AH....i dont wamt a deir dierdre response i want someone to tell tell me cop the fcuk on or go get help

Cheeers....personal issues is to straight laced foe me...i like th normaliy of AH....i dont wamt a deir dierdre response i want someone to tell tell me cop the fcuk on or go get help

Give yourself a target.

Three days, No Booze.

Direct your Will Power to that objective and you will do it.

After that add a week. And so on. If you want to live a healthy lifestyle you can. Look at some David Goggins videos on youtube if you need a verbal cop the fcuk on.

To give the Boards answer, if you’ve been inside a pub or looked directly at a can more than twice then you’re a raging alcoholic and have ruined the lives of everyone you know.

Give yourself a target.

Three days, No Booze.

After that add a week. And so on. If you want to live a healthy lifestyle you can. Look at some David Goggins videos on youtube if you need a verbal cop the fcuk on.

your a decentskin even if ya are re reg lol....adio amigos .....fcuking aftr hours cheers for the advice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Give yourself a target.

Three days, No Booze.

Professor Will Power?

https://www.blackrockeyelaser.ie/our-team/prof-william-power

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Never had a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

What makes someone an alcoholic?

Asking for a friemd:o

I love getting pissed....think i went too far tonight:eek:

You’re alright friend. Until you find yourself skulking down the lane with a big bag of the rosie’s dew

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭pgj2015

anyone who needs a drink every day in an alcoholic in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

You realise that this is after hours ? Don’t expect serious discussion here .

Alco ? Weak and undisciplined people ,who can not control themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 24,753 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Alcoholism is a disease.

It’s when not you as a ‘person’ likes drinking a lot, likes drinking regularly, Getting pissed...it’s when your body and brain is saying, YOU NEED A DRINK.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pgj2015 wrote: »
    anyone who needs a drink every day in an alcoholic in my eyes.

What about someone who merely has a drink every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

1 drink ? In Ireland ? That’s weird , you talking loco

Nah, seriously, though, it depends . What harm would it be cracking open a can or a glass of wine After a hard days work ? Waistline might not thank ya for it but meh, many of us smoke too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Cop the fcuk on.

Just a bad dose of the fear.

• Advertisement

most alcoholics I know wouldn't be able to leave it at 1 drink a day, but yeah I would call someone who HAS to have 1 drink a day an alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

pgj2015 wrote: »
    most alcoholics I know wouldn't be able to leave it at 1 drink a day, but yeah I would call someone who HAS to have 1 drink a day an alcoholic.

What does that even mean?
    Define "has to".
    Is it different from "wants to"?
    Or how about "would like to"?

What does that even mean?
    Define "has to".
    Is it different from "wants to"?
    Or how about "would like to"?

has to = the people who have to have a drink or they start shaking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

If drink is repeatedly generating problems at work at home and socially the you are a problem drinker. If you know this but cant stop you are an alcoholic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Truthvader wrote: »
    If drink is repeatedly generating problems at work at home and socially the you are a problem drinker. If you know this but cant stop you are an alcoholic

Would you include someone who's drinking only causes problems for themselves as a problem drinker?

A friend drinks probably 9 days out of 10. They have got worse since before Christmas. Proably have had 3 days not drinking since the start of December.

They generally don't get aggressive but the physical toll will definitely catch up with them at some stage. Drinking in front of their children so much couldn't be good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

One of my favourite lines from South Park. Classic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

You realise that this is after hours ? Don’t expect serious discussion here .

Alco ? Weak and undisciplined people ,who can not control themselves

Wouldn't life be wonderful if everything was so simple?

As if you are going to wake up one day with some will power and self control that will magically make your alcoholism disappear. Forget the fact that addiction is usually far more complex than this.

If this were the case then nobody in life would ever have any problems ever. They'd just gain some self control and their problems would just vanish. Sounds like nonsense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Mimon wrote: »
    Would you include someone who's drinking only causes problems for themselves as a problem drinker?

A friend drinks probably 9 days out of 10. They have got worse since before Christmas. Proably have had 3 days not drinking since the start of December.

They generally don't get aggressive but the physical toll will definitely catch up with them at some stage. Drinking in front of their children so much couldn't be good either.

Drinking heavily/getting drunk on front of your children should be a criminal offence in my opinion.

These things have a life long psychological impact and can destroy that child's adult life. It certainly changes the person that they should be if they had grown up in a normal household.

Personally, I think there is way to little focus on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

8 months to reply, must have been some session

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Can I just point out that "jimgoose and the Usual Internet ****" would be an excellent name for an Appalachian electrofunk outfit?

Advertisement