Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are your thoughts on the Ian Wright/Patrick O'Brien situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

This being Kerry I'm surprised the townsfolk didnt queue up to shake his hand at the courthouse

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Has this young man had his Mensa membership revoked?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

A 500 euro donation from the racist and a letter of apology he probably got his parents to word for him.
    A fcukin jokeshop of a court trial.
    Wrighty has every right to be vexed over it.
    Poor old garlic man got jail for wrong paperwork and a lowlife racist gets nothing

wrong paper work me hole

tax is the most punishable crime in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Correct decision. No point running a lad's life over something stupid. We were all young once.

Ok new account with 3 posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

enricoh wrote: »
    permanently offended

I've noticed a direct correlation between people who use phrases like this and people with really repellent views who think that freedom of speech means freedom from consequences of that speech.

I think a prison sentence would have been over the top given all the other much worse stuff that goes relatively unpunished, but at the same time this was far too lenient. A small fine, an apology is an insult and no deterrent at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Look, what he said was an utter disgrace. Bear in mind though he was caught and hauled up in front of Court and the full glare of the media here and UK. He pleaded guilty. I think the exposure and emabarrassment is enough.

There are many many other people all over the world that get away with this type of stuff everyday and will never get caught. On social media and in the stands at football matches. Making an example of a this one guy with a stiff conviction will not make any difference but at least lads should know that spouting this nonsense online will have consequences.

There are people that have caused death and serious injury that have avoided jail. Hell even child abusers have avoided jail but yet this 18 year acting the idiot after a bloody computer game should get jail time. Come off it.

The Court has given him a second chance. I know people will cry foul and it was too lenient etc etc. Fair enough. People need to keep proportionality in mind- a conviction for an 18 year old has massive life changing consequences which some people don't seem to appreciate this.

Let's not use this guy as an excuse to double down and really pile on the punishment. What he said was an utter disgrace and he was righly held to account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Look, what he said was an utter disgrace. Bear in mind though he was caught and hauled up in front of Court and the full glare of the media here and UK. He pleaded guilty. I think the exposure and emabarrassment is enough.

There are many many other people all over the world that get away with this type of stuff everyday and will never get caught. On social media and in the stands at football matches. Making an example of a this one guy with a stiff conviction will not make any difference but at least lads should know that spouting this nonsense online will have consequences.

There are people that have caused death and serious injury that have avoided jail. Hell even child abusers have avoided jail but yet this 18 year acting the idiot after a bloody computer game should get jail time. Come off it.

The Court has given him a second chance. I know people will cry foul and it was too lenient etc etc. Fair enough. People need to keep proportionality in mind- a conviction for an 18 year old has massive life changing consequences which some people don't seem to appreciate this.

Let's not use this guy as an excuse to double down and really pile on the punishment. What he said was an utter disgrace and he was righly held to account.

Most even handed post I've read so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He should have gotten a month at least. Would have scared him onto the straight and narrow. He's gotten away with it. What lesson has he learned?

Just to add:-

"Patrick O'Brien, from Ashleigh Downs, Tralee, in Ireland" [Daily Mail online]

There you go.

Everyone knows his name and this will appear on every Google search forever and it will show up on every online media publication for the entire world to read basically forever. For example, I am sitting the middle of England. No doubt his family, friends and neighbours all know him too.

Would a full on criminal conviction really have made the situation better? I would say it would have been OTT. His employment prospects and travelling (no hope of ever getting a visa to work abroad) would be dead at 18. His life permanently altered all because he vented after a computer game. This is not about feeling sorry for him but proportionality.

The Courts and Judges deal with this everyday and this take this into account.
    I am delighted he was caught. For those criticising the Irish criminal justice system think again. I think it refects well on our system. At least he was caught. Most other police forces wouldnt give a crap and would only investigate it if it was someone high profile who made a big song and dance about it.

Let's be clear: it was entirely his own fault and nobody to blame but himself. He was righly held to account for what he said. Absolutely zero excuses.

He should have gotten a month at least. Would have scared him onto the straight and narrow. He's gotten away with it. What lesson has he learned?

So you are of the opinion that jail time is the only way to straighten a lad out?

I have seen the inside of jails (work related) and my most recent was a vist to Mountjoy. Trust me you do not want to spend 1 minute in these places. Even visting I could get out of the place quick enough.

Judges in Ireland do not routinely throw young lads in jail to "scare" them or to teach them a lesson. It is the very very last resort. Joe Public/keyboard warriors do not appreciate what jail is like...as in the harsh reality.

The vast majority of lads in jail are repeat offenders and hardened to the system. A jail sentence for an 18 year in this situation with no prior...he would be placed on suicide watch. It is a very real risk. Judge are sensitive to this.

Just to add that most jail birds are repeat offenders. That is a fact throughout the world. So the whole "Jail time will set him on the straight and narow" is just not true. If anything it is more lilkely to send him on a very different path and downward spiral.

• Advertisement

So you are of the opinion that jail time is the only way to straighten a lad out?

I have seen the inside of jails (work related) and my most recent was a vist to Mountjoy. Trust me you do not want to spend 1 minute in these places. Even visting I could get out of the place quick enough.

Judges in Ireland do not routinely throw young lads in jail to "scare" them or to teach them a lesson. It is the very very last resort. Joe Public/keyboard warriors do not appreciate what jail is like...as in the harsh reality.

The vast majority of lads in jail are repeat offenders and hardened to the system. A jail sentence for an 18 year in this situation with no prior...he would be placed on suicide watch. It is a very real risk. Judge are sensitive to this.

Just to add that most jail birds are repeat offenders. That is a fact throughout the world. So the whole "Jail time will set him on the straight and narow" is just not true. If anything it is more lilkely to send him on a very different path and downward spiral.

As the Big Boss Man used to say, "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time".

3 Weeks in jail would scare the crap out of him. I couldn't give a shiny shyte how "scared" the poor little soldier would be. We constantly pussyfoot around criminals in this country, that's why so many scrotes have over 100 convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can someone straighten me out on one point

he was playing a football game online..yes?

one of the players of this game was Ian Wright was it a fictional/avatar Ian Wright or the real person?

fryup wrote: »
    can someone straighten me out on one point

he was playing a football game online..yes?

one of the players of this game was Ian Wright was it a fictional/avatar Ian Wright or the real person?

If you can get me a football game where I control the actual person I'll pay you a grand. :confused::confused::confused:

sorry, i'm not into video games, don't know the in's and out's

i mean was he playing the game against others online?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

No, he tweeted disgraceful racist abuse to Ian Wright himself via twitter, who saw it, made a complaint to the police, and it has now been acted upon.

You can say whatever you want to computer game characters, although if you're saying anything like this kid did you'd probably want to take a look at yourself.

As the Big Boss Man used to say, "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time".

3 Weeks in jail would scare the crap out of him. I couldn't give a shiny shyte how "scared" the poor little soldier would be. We constantly pussyfoot around criminals in this country, that's why so many scrotes have over 100 convictions.

Criminals and offenders who deserve jail time should get jail time. This was not some scrote with over 100 convictions (unless I have missed something). He was an 18 yr playing a computer game who went on a vile and disgusting rant behind a computer screen without gving two thoughts to the consequences.

What he said really was abhorrant and beggars belief. I can't believe that an 18 yr old would vent like that. Personally I am mortified to be living in England reading about this "Irishman". I work with non white people and Jesus I am the only Irish person they know and then they read about this wanker...I feel ashamed by association.

But again it comes back to proportionality. Jail time would have been completely disproportionate IMO.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    No, he tweeted disgraceful racist abuse to Ian Wright himself via twitter,

yes i know that, but why???

because he lost a video game online??? if so then the kid mustn't be the full shilling

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Really scraping the bottom of the barrel there lads

How so?

Civility is one of the basic guidelines of this site,is it not?

Criminals and offenders who deserve jail time should get jail time. This was not some scrote with over 100 convictions (unless I have missed something). He was an 18 yr playing a computer game who went on a vile and disgusting rant behind a computer screen without gving two thoughts to the consequences.

What he said really was abhorrant and beggars belief. I can't believe that an 18 yr old would vent like that. Personally I am mortified to be living in England reading about this "Irishman". I work with non white people and Jesus I am the only Irish person they know and then they read about this wanker...I feel ashamed by association.

But again it comes back to proportionality. Jail time would have been completely disproportionate IMO.

Racism seems to be making a comeback. A strong message should have been sent to those who seem to think they can get away with it, just because it is online. 1 month in prison would have been proportionate. Actions have consequences. €500 to abuse someone because of the colour of their skin is not a proper deterrent.

Racism seems to be making a comeback. A strong message should have been sent to those who seem to think they can get away with it, just because it is online. 1 month in prison would have been proportionate. Actions have consequences. €500 to abuse someone because of the colour of their skin is not a proper deterrent.

Well to be fair racism has never gone away. It's just now social media platforms give a soap box to every village idiot out there.

There are thousands or gob****es around the world at this very moment getthing away with it. As far as I am concerned, he didn't get away with it- far from it. If he got away with it his name would not be plastered all over the media and it would not have its own thread here.

I get that you and others feel that the absence of criminal conviction and/or jail seems to be that he got away with it. Fair enough and I am not here to change your mind.

He is 18, never in trouble before, pleaded guilty and not likely to offend again. The matter was dealt with in the District Court. If the DPP and Judge felt it was serious enough to warrant a jail sentence he would have been sent forward to the Circuit Criminal Court for sentencing at the outset.

IMO a criminal conviction and jail sentence to further ruin his life would not have been helpful.

• Advertisement

Well to be fair racism has never gone away. It's just now social media platforms give a soap box to every village idiot out there.

There are thousands or gob****es around the world at this very moment getthing away with it. As far as I am concerned, he didn't get away with it- far from it. If he got away with it his name would not be plastered all over the media and it would not have its own thread here.

I get that you and others feel that the absence of criminal conviction and/or jail seems to be that he got away with it. Fair enough and I am not here to change your mind.

He is 18, never in trouble before, pleaded guilty and not likely to offend again. The matter was dealt with in the District Court. If the DPP and Judge felt it was serious enough to warrant a jail sentence he would have been sent forward to the Circuit Criminal Court for sentencing at the outset.

IMO a criminal conviction and jail sentence to further ruin his life would not have been helpful.

And there's the problem with Ireland. The poor, poor criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

jail sentences under a year can be given in the district court. You say he wont do it again but I dont think you can be too certain of that. a couple of weeks in the 'Joy might have helped in that regard

Month in jail...

Seriously people...
    Go down to your local courts and see the sentences being handed out for crimes. Papers only report the more salacious or "interesting" ones.

This gobsh1te sounded off, got caught, got punished. Probabation act/services is there for a reason, to try to keep people away from a life interacting with the criminal justice system.

Hopefully we'll never hear of this b011ox again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

fryup wrote: »
    yes i know that, but why???

because he lost a video game online??? if so then the kid mustn't be the full shilling

It’s not uncommon for “gamer” types to be a bit detached from reality. They don’t like losing and retreat further, and further, into the “game world” when they don’t really get along in the real world.

Usually, they’ll just vent their anger at other online “players”, watch MMA cage fighting, complain about women, or the Black Lives Matter Movement, on message board sites but, in this case, the gamer took it a step further.

I’m not too sure what the appropriate penalty should have been, it does appear that he’s gotten off “lightly”. Maybe he could have been sent to, court ordered, therapy to get him away from the computer games and deal with his anger, and racist, issues.

The tide is turning…

jail sentences under a year can be given in the district court. You say he wont do it again but I dont think you can be too certain of that. a couple of weeks in the 'Joy might have helped in that regard

I didn't say he would not do it agan. I cannot predict the future. I said "not likely" and that is the view the Courts will take. He might end up Ireland's most notorious criminal in years to come for all we know but at this moment in time he is classed at the very bottom of the risk of reoffendng scale.

As an 18 year old with no previous who pleaded guilty he is afforded the benefit of the doubt and a second chance. Also we know nothing else about his background and what reports were handed into the Judge that would not have made the headlines.

Yes I am fully aware that the DC can hand out sentences up to 1 year. I spent many a long day in the District Court. As I said above, lads are not thrown into jail just like that and certainly not lads with the above criteria.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

milehip wrote: »
    Attack the post,not the poster.
    This is it wrote: »
    The response of a typically awful mod. Do as I day and not as I do.

Mod:

If you have an issue with mod actions please take it to the Help Desk don't derail the thread in this fashion again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

A custodial sentence for an adult is a permanent mark against them. The chances of him becoming involved in criminal activity sky rockets when jobs are no longer available to him because of his stint in prison.

Trial by Internet isn't binding for a reason.

This kid didn't lick racism up off of the stones and deserves a second chance even if he did act like a cvnt. What he does with his second chance is on him however.

Glazers Out!

I didn't say he would not do it agan. I cannot predict the future. I said "not likely" and that is the view the Courts will take. He might end up Ireland's most notorious criminal in years to come for all we know but at this moment in time he is classed at the very bottom of the risk of reoffendng scale.

As an 18 year old with no previous who pleaded guilty he is afforded the benefit of the doubt and a second chance. Also we know nothing else about his background and what reports were handed into the Judge that would not have made the headlines.

Yes I am fully aware that the DC can hand out sentences up to 1 year. I spent many a long day in the District Court. As I said above, lads are not thrown into jail just like that and certainly not lads with the above criteria.

perhaps that is why there are so many repeat offenders with dozens of convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Was this really racism? He made disgusting insulting and threatening comments that is undeniable and he should face consequences. But he made them with the intent to cause insult and fear due to an bizarre and illconceived sense of aggrivement rather than from outright racist beliefs.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

Was this really racism? He made disgusting insulting and threatening comments that is undeniable. But he made them with the intent to cause insult and fear due to an bizarre and illconceived sense of aggrivement rather than from outright racist beliefs.

"You are a ****ing monkey", "**** coon monkey ******".

that sounds pretty racist to me.

Advertisement