Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CNC Router / Mill ?

• 21-06-2013 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, maybe this is not the best forum for this, but what with the Fabri-con connection, I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me?

I'm starting to put a project together to build a CNC Router. Nothing too fancy, somewhere about 70cm x 30cm x 12cm. The only thing I've really decided upon is that I'd rather use the CNC USB controller.

I'm going to go hunting for stepper motors, and rails at the weekend.
    If anyone has built their own CNC machine, I'd appreciate any advice you may have to offer.

Cheers.

(Signed up for the Fabri-con google group, even though I'm never in Dublin)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

TOG has it's own professional CNC router. We are in the process of building a laser cutter. We have a makerbot 3D printer. These all use stepper motors.

If you were in Dublin and wanted access to a CNC then the one in TOG might do, in fact might me better than you could build yourself. I see that you are never in Dublin, but it might be worth making the trip to confirm what you needs really are.

If starting from scratch it's best to look at what software you intend using to control it, and what hardware and stepper motors these are known to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AngelCruisers

I know there is Electronics and Micro Controller Group night following monday and I was looking for someone to give me some guidance. I spent too much time trying to get my stepper motors to turn and I almost give up then I found you guys. Anyone who could spend some time with me on monday please let me know. I can bring the whole machine to tog on my trike or I can just bring the electronics and motors.

Checking to make sure there is someone around tonight.

TOG will be open tonight from 7pm. Feel free to drop in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AngelCruisers

I hope I'm not going to be alone there today really need bit of bel pic promised myself that I will get it working before Christmas :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement