Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

That house is depressing looking, 'incomplete'...it definitely sounds and looks like they ran out of money.

They must be a serious amount of money in the hole on it already if they haven't been able to put a few pennies together in 10 years to try and finish it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

no, it's this one - did someone shuffle the pictures?
    MmNlZjIyMDljZmM3MmQwZTU5M2M5NmM5ZTBmYTdhYWGl3VQL0gQksyzrRaa_W68UaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1LzYvOC82OGQ1Y2E2YTQ4ZmFlNzRjMGFiMmMxZjY4ZTQ0MmJhNC5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

edit: Also having a boiler (possibly gas) in one of the bedrooms does not look like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

having a boiler (possibly gas) in one of the bedrooms does not look like a good idea.

But it doubles as a handy shelf for charging your phone.

Y2Y4OTNiM2JiOGUwZDAwM2Y1ZjlkZGE1ZGVkNTMwMDZW47Dvbiejafs_CcKvaK62aHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1LzkvNi85Njc2ZThkNDYzMzhiNzViYTljYTgwZTJlODNiOWRkYi5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

The cat and teddy have already collapsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's a lot of house for the money. I doubt you'd buy that site, get planning permission and build what's there for €270k.

But then again, if I had €270k, I wouldn't build that house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

[QUOTE=BattleCorp;116477894]It's a lot of house for the money. I doubt you'd buy that site, get planning permission and build what's there for €270k.

But then again, if I had €270k, I wouldn't build that house.[/QUOTE]

That was the first thing I thought when I saw it, there is a massive amount of work gone into what is there now and it looks like it's done to a very good standard.

A lash of tiles and timber floors alone would make a huge difference. It's not a location I'd fancy myself but for 270k someone could make a tidy profit finishing that house off.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The orientation of that gaff on that plot of land is really grinding my Feng Shui gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I see their next door neighbour/relative managed to successfully finish the exact same house (minus the swimming pool bit)

ebe0abed-aca3-47d9-919f-2c44c8e8db91_x.jpg

From the drone shot I was wondering would you be stuck in the middle of two fueding brothers or something.

Also what is that pink/reddish discolouration on the concrete? Is it a west of Ireland thing, Ive seen it on a good few houses over that way, saw one estate in east Galway where all the houses suffered from it less than 10 years of having been built.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »

Also what is that pink/reddish discolouration on the concrete? Is it a west of Ireland thing, Ive seen it on a good few houses over that way, saw one estate in east Galway where all the houses suffered from it less than 10 years of having been built.

That's from all the Blood, sweat and tears they put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,170 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

From the drone shot I was wondering would you be stuck in the middle of two fueding brothers or something.

I live in Cork and I see it a lot on a finish/render on houses built in the past 10/15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I see their next door neighbour/relative managed to successfully finish the exact same house (minus the swimming pool bit)

Finished the house after 12 years, but hasn't the time or money to get around to landscaping the place. Not even a basic lawn, or tree planted there.
    humberklog wrote: »
    The orientation of that gaff on that plot of land is really grinding my Feng Shui gears.

It's angled so you see the front when driving up to it. Which means all functions of living it it take 2nd spot. No thought given to being there in the evening when the sun is in the SW/W.

There's also one single patio door in the place to go outside; and then you're facing NE. No thought at all given to actually living there. Even the swimming pool has no windows. It's mad.

In this house is probably the 'oul couple who sold the sites, sitting there looking at Nationwide and thinking what a pack of bloody eejits. Looks like they sold 3 sites there.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6192993,-9.2497163,3a,30y,284.76h,82.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-eqllbA1TA8CvK3BPaXVPA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Apart from that the area is good. About 40 mins to the outskirts of Galway, after that it's hit and miss as to how long it takes to get anywhere else.
    Lough Mask on your doorstep, Lough Corrib very near. Great spot for cycling, hiking, fishing and none of the rat race of Dublin.

I would never want a house like that, all the cleaning and heating bills would be insane. I also feel a bit for someone who put that much into a house, however tasteless IMO, to see it all gone for nothing. Probably caused them countless sleepless nights worrying about money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The estate agent measured this room space as 86cm. Perfect fit for a single bed.

Apart from that it's a decent location, right beside Corkagh Park.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-75-cherrywood-grove-clondalkin-dublin-22/2596823

MjFlMzRiZGExZjA1YmFmNjllNTYyNThlMzY2NDhhMDQr57IPjjGAzb2CXnSjMuYpaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1LzYvMS82MTFkZDA1MjU5Mjg5NjdlNzVlMzFhM2EzZDM1NTc0YS5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭griffin100

It’s a fungus. It’s easily removable using a fungicide and a power hose. We have to treat our house every few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

KevRossi wrote: »
    The estate agent measured this room space as 86cm. Perfect fit for a single bed.
    If it wasn't for the fact that there's a row of houses, I would have sworn blind that house was built by hand without and architect's help. There are so many little sticking out bits in rooms and nooks and crannies. Nobody in their right mind would design a house with such a terrible use of space.

I would have sworn blind that child's room had a big chunk taken out of it for a bathroom or something, but no it clearly wraps around the hallway.

I wonder was that 86cm space originally a toilet off the hall, but the owners have moved a load of internal walls around so now it's half a room + a toilet turned into a bedroom.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

seamus wrote: »
    If it wasn't for the fact that there's a row of houses, I would have sworn blind that house was built by hand without and architect's help. There are so many little sticking out bits in rooms and nooks and crannies. Nobody in their right mind would design a house with such a terrible use of space.

I'd say it was bought, gutted and reconfigured by someone with a head full of dreams, a locked and loaded nail gun and a flatbed of plaster board.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

KevRossi wrote: »
    I would never want a house like that, all the cleaning and heating bills would be insane. I also feel a bit for someone who put that much into a house, however tasteless IMO, to see it all gone for nothing. Probably caused them countless sleepless nights worrying about money.

That's very true. Started out I guess as someone's dream, and turned into a nightmare.

And I 100% agree as regards cleaning and heating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

300k for a semi in Clondalkin?

Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tallaghtjoe

Every inch of that house is a headache for me. odd layout on ground floor

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Look at the size of the fridge! It is enormous.

Look at the size of the fridge! It is enormous.
    That camera lens would make Gwen Stefani look as wide as Nora Batty!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

That table blocking half the foot of the stairs would wreck my head. Form over function.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

mikhail wrote: »
    That table blocking half the foot of the stairs would wreck my head. Form over function.

Yeah, that's the space where we keep 4 kids' bikes in my house. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Markitron wrote: »
    300k for a semi in Clondalkin?

Madness.
    Houses in the older estates around the village can go for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

griffin100 wrote: »
    It’s a fungus. It’s easily removable using a fungicide and a power hose. We have to treat our house every few years.

ah right, had thought it was something in the concrete blocks that made the walls go red. Do you know what fungus it is, it seems strange some houses suffer from it whereas others nearby do not.
    mikhail wrote: »

yeah you'd have to wiggle around the table to get up the stairs which is just stupid really. Those chrome/mirror finish tables are very footballers wives too. They look shiny in photos but I can only imagine the amount of fingerprints on them after a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

flazio wrote: »

Neighbours might be a bit noisy, 5 times a day

Advertisement