Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB underground

• 23-01-2021 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Does anyone know did/does the ESB look after there own cival works or can this be passed to the builder of a development?
    My house, before it was built, had an over head connection in the middle of the garden. When it was built, around 2000, the connection was moved under ground. I got a map from the ESB to show the rough path of the cable but I am wondering about the depth of the duct.

Does anyone know if the builder of the estate might have been allowed to dig the duct or are the ESB very strict with this type of thing?

My builder wasn't amazing and I'm as little worried he mightn't have stayed on spec. Worried now as I have to dig down a bit for a job in the garden.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Without a photo during laying, can't imagine anyone giving you the answer to give you the confidence to safely assume it is at a specific depth.
    Even a written cert with a signature, is only that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭meercat

Generally it’s the developer (builder) that installs the ducting.
    It should run straight from the meter box to the outside path and then turn to the Esbn mini pillar

In one off houses it should run straight from meter box to the esb pole

Depth can often vary especially close to meter cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

There is a minimum depth of 600mm-750mm so at least this. Is it that you are trying to locate the cable and not sure of route or you are just curious about depth?

You can get someone with a cable tracer if you are stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

alan4cult wrote: »
    There is a minimum depth of 600mm-750mm so at least this. Is it that you are trying to locate the cable and not sure of route or you are just curious about depth?

You can get someone with a cable tracer if you are stuck.

I never thought of this. Are those tracers something you can rent?

I need to dig across my garden and I'd like to be certain I'm nowhere near the mains.

I never thought of this. Are those tracers something you can rent?

I need to dig across my garden and I'd like to be certain I'm nowhere near the mains.

Yep you can rent them, Google Cable Avoidance Tool.

• Advertisement

If the cable was laid properly you will hit yellow tape before the conduit (red).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If the cable was laid properly you will hit yellow tape before the conduit (red).

Yes but again not to be relied upon considering some of the works that were done in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

Contact your local esb networks office or the general enquiries number. They will come out and trace the cable for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

sparcocars wrote: »
    Contact your local esb networks office or the general enquiries number. They will come out and trace the cable for you.

I did. All they did was provided me with an OSI map with a rough idea of the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I did. All they did was provided me with an OSI map with a rough idea of the route.

Similar issue here with gas line. Have a useless map and just plan to be extra careful when digging.

Free Palestine from Hamas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Or red
    We used red tape with the text electrical cable on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Do the cable tracers work on screened service cables and swa?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 frost11

Hi any update on this? I'm in a similar situation. Was told the builder of the development would have laid the ducting to the mini sub station.

Advertisement