Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snag checklist

• 23-11-2020 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi,

I was just about to do a snag for a new build semi in a few days time. Just wondering if anyone has a handy spreadsheet with a list of checks to carry out etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Hi,

I was just about to do a snag for a new build semi in a few days time. Just wondering if anyone has a handy spreadsheet with a list of checks to carry out etc.

Unless you have experience in the building game get a professional snagger in
    Waste of time doing it yourself if you don’t know what to look for
    Would you know where to look for certain defects
    Would you have a trained eye
    A professional snagger is a relatively cheap outlay in the whole scheme of things

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

brisan wrote: »
    Unless you have experience in the building game get a professional snagger in
    Waste of time doing it yourself if you don’t know what to look for
    Would you know where to look for certain defects
    Would you have a trained eye
    A professional snagger is a relatively cheap outlay in the whole scheme of things

Agreed. Actually I'm already getting a professional snagger to do this but just want to do a snag on my own as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Be Careful about snaggers. Are lot of them arent thorough. Wont get attic for insulation for example

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Be Careful about snaggers. Are lot of them arent thorough. Wont get attic for insulation for example

If its a new build there should be no need to go into the attic to check insulation

If its a new build there should be no need to go into the attic to check insulation

I agree, but it only takes a few mins and I have seen it not done by snaggers with fibreglass missing in new houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

There are numerous reasons to go into the attic during the snagging process?? :confused:

No guarantees anything has been done correctly until it is checked independently that includes attic insulation levels.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I can counter argue that and say that it’s of vital importance you check the attic.
    Insulation.
    You need safe access to the water tank. That includes a raised platform.
    You need to check that any MHVR units are secure and the electrical connections are safe.
    I was snagging a new build for my cousin recently and the SVP terminated in the attic space. Wasn’t even connected to the vent tile on the roof!
    Also good to throw an eye on the party walls for any obvious signs of penetrations and fire stopping issues.

This Scottish article is dead handy for anying one buying a new build. The building regulations they cite are irrelevant of course but it does given an idea of what is a flaw. https://loftboardingscotland.co.uk/5-common-problems-you-should-check-in-your-loft-during-snagging/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Absolutely check the attic. Pipe connections, insulation, exposed cable and many other issues need checking. Would you buy a car without lifting the bonnet?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

Stupid questions, is it expected to be able to ask builders for a list of what the pipes are for, both water and vents? Where each pipe goes, and how to turn off the water etc?

And also: Where the cat5/6, and coax cables connect exactly, plus have them labelled?

Should every unused electric cable have electrical tape around the ends, i.e. not be exposed?

Should every light switch do something, IIRC one didn't seem to do anything?

Every light fitting have a bulb fitted?

Should the internet lines be connected to some provider?

From another thread "e.g. a simple thing like spacing around wooden floors, oak = X cm space around edge, laminate = Y, get it wrong and the floor will lift." my floors are tiles and engineered wood floor (carpet upstairs) - do I need to watch for particular spacing around these floors from the wall?

Is the place meant to be clean / hoovered and good to go during snagging?

Gumbo said in another thread "Window restrictors and no key locks" should be in place, are window restrictors the little metal latches on the bottom of the window that prevent the window swinging outwards? No key locks means what here, that the windows must have button locks / not required to use a key to lock them?

"Boiler firing on all zones independently." How does one check this on an air to water heat pump system?

Is a basic check good enough for testing all electrical sockets? Like your phone and its wall socket charger?

Should a snagger be checking the full exterior and garden, driveway for problems?

Edit:
    Lastly if there are disagreements in the snag. Like 20 things should be fixed but only 16 are fixed or they push for a quick sign before I am available to check the snag. Would there be repercussions for taking an extra week to sign due to not all things being fixed or my own tardiness/unavailability?

Thank you for any help on these questions offered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement