Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Potted Christmas Tree

Options
  • 18-11-2020 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am hoping someone can guide me in the right direction.

I would like to know if it possible to get a potted Christmas tree that would be closer to a standard height tree ie 6/7ft.

A briefly check online only returns much smaller trees.

Is it even possible to have a tree that size still in a pot and remain in a pot for its life time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭looksee

An Abies, for example, could live in a pot but it would need a lot of careful attention so it did not dry out in summer, and it would need a big pot so would be a bit unmanageable. They probably are available somewhere but it would not be very common - are you looking by name or by 'Christmas tree'? You might be more successful checking out nurseries that do mature trees and checking by name.

A tree in a pot would not be happy in a house for a couple of weeks even, certainly not for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Check out wholesale plant nurseries. They will probably be able to point you in the right direction. Larger trees 6ft . cedars/Abies can look great. But these aren't cheap. As looksee said I definitely wouldn't be putting one indoors the central heating in your home would probably kill it. As for keeping it in a pot that's not an issue, just keep it well watered and pot it on every few years. But that gets harder as the tree gets bigger. You could root prune like the bonsai people do to help keep it to a smaller size.. But again not an easy thing to do with a 6/7ft tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

We have an Abie/korean fir in a pot, its only about 3ft. We're in a mobile home so hence the size. Have it half planted in the ground, I must have a look at it. Think we had it outside most of the time, just brought it in for the few days around xmas day for Santa.

We got it from a christmas tree farm, they sell their own trees direct. A nursery or xmas tree farm would be a good place to look/get advice

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

A local nursery in Galway here have a 5ft Nordmann Fir potted, so 6ft including pot, for €80 plus delivery of around €9.
    He has smaller ones available too.

See their post for more info;

https://www.facebook.com/DoonwoodNurseries/videos/412486793130471

Advertisement