Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Colonoscopy procedure

• 19-06-2019 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I am going for a colonoscopy next Tuesday. The procedure itself will be done under annestec.I am not too concerned about that end of things.Just wondering about food intake in the run up to the day.I am told not to eat any thing with nuts or seeds in the diet.Can I still eat normally for another few days or should I be changing my diet already.Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I had one about a year ago, you should get instructions when you get that prep stuff to take from chemist, I think I had to fast a good while before hand, I think it was more than 12 hours before..

There was no avoid nuts etc that I can recall!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭edward901

I have the 2 powder sachets.Definitely not looking forward to that part

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I had it done a few years back. I was given a prescription for stuff called Fleet. It was easy to take, and only took effect a couple of times. I found the hardest thing was to try to drink the required amount of fluid. By the evening time I was sick of the sight of 7Up and water, and apple juice. I drank the original 7UP so that I'd have some sugar in the system, otherwise I might get very dizzy. I didn't get any particular instructions re types of food to eat in the days before the procedure. The lower back can feel a bit achy for a day or two afterwards, but that's about the worst of it. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Keep to light foods for a day or 2 beforehand. No fibre . Don't use orange juice with the prep solution.
    The cleaner the bowels are the better the results.

Citrafleet is what I have been prescribed.One sachet the evening before, the second on the morning of procedure.Lots of water to be consumed as well.I wouldn’t be used to drinking a huge amount of water in the time frame suggested but will have to stick as close to what has been advised.Is wheatabix out of the question by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

edward901 wrote: »
    Citrafleet is what I have been prescribed.One sachet the evening before, the second on the morning of procedure.Lots of water to be consumed as well.I wouldn’t be used to drinking a huge amount of water in the time frame suggested but will have to stick as close to what has been advised.
    Picolax is great . One sachet in morning with 150ml water. And one at 4pm with 150water. Over the day drink at least 3 litres of water. But no water for 2hours before actual procedure. Hope all goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Had one done a couple of years ago and can’t remember what the name of the prep was but it was awful.

I had no problem drinking it over the allotted time but then more or less spent the whole evening and night back and forth to the toilet. The instructions said it would take three to four hours to clear everything out once it started but it went on the whole night for me.

Went to the hospital feeling weak and nauseous with a thumping headache. I nearly backed out I felt so unwell.

The procedure itself(with sedation)was a piece of cake. The prep was the worst.

Not looking forward to the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

You’ve got to focus on how clean and pink you’re making your colon. The cleaner it is, the more confidence you can have in an all clear result.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The day before you eat your breakfast as normal then a very light lunch. The 2 sachet regime is better because you don’t have to drink as much and it doesn’t taste as awful as others. Just stay very near a toilet at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

adox wrote: »
    Had one done a couple of years ago and can’t remember what the name of the prep was but it was awful.

I had no problem drinking it over the allotted time but then more or less spent the whole evening and night back and forth to the toilet. The instructions said it would take three to four hours to clear everything out once it started but it went on the whole night for me.

Went to the hospital feeling weak and nauseous with a thumping headache. I nearly backed out I felt so unwell.

The procedure itself(with sedation)was a piece of cake. The prep was the worst.

Not looking forward to the next one.
    Ask for picolax. At least you will get a nights sleep before the procedure.

• Advertisement

I had the two drink prep. It tastes ok. The poop is a little annoying. Actually... Very annoying. But it's not too bad at all. You'll be grand

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

edward901 wrote: »
    Is wheatabix out of the question by the way?

Most definitely, that would be like pebble-dashing your insides! I had one last year and I was told to make sure not to eat or drink anything with red colouring in it. Presumably it might get mistaken for blood if there's any still lurking around. The day before I was on a near-liquid diet after breakfast, I remember jelly and chicken soup (clear, no veg, noodles, etc.) featuring heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had something called Klean Prep, absolutely vile tasting .. a sort of nasty fake vanilla flavour. I mixed mine with a bit of orange cordial, as suggested by the advice sheet provided by the hospital.

Best of luck tomorrow OP!

sugarman wrote: »
    Anyone have it done without sedation? Read it isn't too bad with just the gas, just a bit uncomfortable rather than painful.
    I wouldn’t even dare to try. No need to make a martyr out of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Gael23 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t even dare to try. No need to make a martyr out of yourself.
    Not only that, but if you start getting uncomfortable and wriggle around you're just going to make things more difficult for whoever is doing the procedure.

What's the issue with the sedation anyway?

Anyone have it done without sedation? Read it isn't too bad with just the gas, just a bit uncomfortable rather than painful.

The sedation was great. Even though I wasnt knocked out and was told they could give me more if the procedure was uncomfortable I literally dont remember anything after the sedative. One minute I was given it and the next I was back out on the day ward wondering what had happened.

Alun wrote: »
    What's the issue with the sedation anyway?

There are people out there that think by not having sedation they can drive home and get back to work more quickly

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I had a gastroscopy at the same time. I remember nothing about that, but the sedative definitely wore off a bit by the time the colonoscopy was happening. It wasn't painful, but it was a bit uncomfortable and there were a couple of moments that made me inhale sharply. I definitely wouldn't like to have had it while fully in my senses.

Thanks all but due to life long medical condition its recommended I only take sedation when absolutely necessary i.e surgery.

Sure if women can get through pregnancy with darts of nitrous oxide, I'm sure I can get through a 30mins scope!

To be clear, they wont be knocking you out like if you were having major surgery. They administer a sedative.

• Advertisement

Thanks all but due to life long medical condition its recommended I only take sedation when absolutely necessary i.e surgery.

Sure if women can get through pregnancy with darts of nitrous oxide, I'm sure I can get through a 30mins scope!

It’s not the same as a general anesthetic. Your only under for about 15-20 minutes also so you get a very small amount.
    Having been through it twice I strongly advise you to rethink

Went for my colonoscopy yesterday.All went well.Nothing abnormal.No cancer symptoms found.Didnt feel anything. The worst part of the whole thing is the preparation before hand.But at least I got the right result anyway.

Well done, you'll be glad it's over!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BeckiB

Take it easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Hardy man. I had sedation and remember nothing of the event but my procedure report describes me vigorously resisting as the tube went in, especially at the lower end.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

How long roughly would you be waiting for an appointment for one with health insurance?

sm3ar wrote: »
    How long roughly would you be waiting for an appointment for one with health insurance?

Can vary between different parts of the country but usually just a few weeks

Advertisement