Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

breaking 1 year fixed term lease early

Options
  • 23-11-2020 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Due to changing circumstances we intend to end our 1 year fixed term lease after 8 months in January. We've provided verbal notice of this to our landlord and intend to provide written notice which will give approx 8 weeks to end date.

Is there anything we should be putting into this written notice to aide in a smooth process? Can anyone who has been in similar situation advice of any pitfalls we should be aware of?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Include 4 months rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

Doolin87 wrote: »
    Hi,

Due to changing circumstances we intend to end our 1 year fixed term lease after 8 months in January. We've provided verbal notice of this to our landlord and intend to provide written notice which will give approx 8 weeks to end date.

Is there anything we should be putting into this written notice to aide in a smooth process? Can anyone who has been in similar situation advice of any pitfalls we should be aware of?

Thanks!

Best to have an agreement with the landlord.

Otherwise you're responsible to pay for the whole fixed term, but in reality you'd need to cover landlord costs until they can find new person for the property.

If you want to avoid this, you can use the following information

https://www.threshold.ie/advice/ending-a-tenancy/getting-someone-to-replace-you/
    • If you have a lease and wish to assign or sub-let the whole tenancy, write to your landlord and request permission.
    • If your landlord agrees to your request, then you will have to find a new tenant or sub-tenant
    • If your landlord refuses, you can terminate the tenancy by issuing a written notice of termination

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭sk8board

As a landlord you definitely need to discuss it with them.
    I’ve had tenants break leases before, but it was rented far below market rate, and in a buoyant market, so it was positive for me.

If it’s a difficult place to rent and you’re leaving early, then you are in a tricky situation as the rent is owed, however the current covid eviction rules protect you for the remainder of the lease in any case, but could make things difficult for you to rent in future.

Work it out with the landlord first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Doolin87

cheers for the info all, we'll hold off on written notice until we have spoken to the landlord a bit further. Hopefully can come to some form of an agreement.

I'll come back on here with any progress or if have any other questions at that stage. fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

sk8board wrote: »
    As a landlord you definitely need to discuss it with them.
    I’ve had tenants break leases before, but it was rented far below market rate, and in a buoyant market, so it was positive for me.

If it’s a difficult place to rent and you’re leaving early, then you are in a tricky situation as the rent is owed, however the current covid eviction rules protect you for the remainder of the lease in any case, but could make things difficult for you to rent in future.

Work it out with the landlord first.

The fact that it was below market rate in a buoyant market should make no difference if it was in an RPZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

brisan wrote: »
    The fact that it was below market rate in a buoyant market should make no difference if it was in an RPZ

Not if the rent hadn't been reviewed in 4 years for example.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Not if the rent hadn't been reviewed in 4 years for example.
    RPZ rules would still apply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭sk8board

brisan wrote: »
    RPZ rules would still apply

True - I didn’t notice it was only a 1 year lease, so presumably the LL had a chance to review the rent just a few months ago. This doesn’t help the OP, but again I stress that talking to the landlord is the best option. It might that he doesn’t mind at all, albeit unexpected tenant changeovers are a pain.

sk8board wrote: »
    True - I didn’t notice it was only a 1 year lease, so presumably the LL had a chance to review the rent just a few months ago. This doesn’t help the OP, but again I stress that talking to the landlord is the best option. It might that he doesn’t mind at all, albeit unexpected tenant changeovers are a pain.

It might suit if the rent is below market rate
    How many prospective tenants would look for proof of the previous rent and ensure it was only increased in line with RPZ rates
    he could raise the rent by 200e a month and nobody would know

Advertisement