Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sump Pump..last throw of dice

• 16-11-2020 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

I live in an estate with a small back garden with houses at the back and on either side. Flooding in winter has been a constant problem.
    At one stage we got in landscapers who did the french drains leading into a soak hole. This turned out to be an expensive mess as the soak hole was obviously not suited for the compacted soil and was probably acting as a soak hole for the surrounding properties also.
    My lawn is still flooded and is driving me up the wall. I have heard about a sump pump but unsure if this is the answer.
    The lawn slopes away from the house so draining it to flood water drain is probably impossible.
    Any soloutions? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

tucker1971 wrote: »
    I live in an estate with a small back garden with houses at the back and on either side. Flooding in winter has been a constant problem.
    At one stage we got in landscapers who did the french drains leading into a soak hole. This turned out to be an expensive mess as the soak hole was obviously not suited for the compacted soil and was probably acting as a soak hole for the surrounding properties also.
    My lawn is still flooded and is driving me up the wall. I have heard about a sump pump but unsure if this is the answer.
    The lawn slopes away from the house so draining it to flood water drain is probably impossible.
    Any soloutions? Thanks

Where would you be pumping the water to ?
    Its all very well getting a sump pump in, but you need somewhere that can take the water. Otherwise it will be a revolving door with the water just permeating back to the low point.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,942 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One thing you might keep in the back of your mind is - create a pond and bog garden if you can't come up with any other solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I just put in a sump pump and it seems to be doing the job. Its a Titan from screwfix. I did buy another from adverts Eineel but it packed in after a week.
    I ran 1 inch hose ( B&Q ) to a gully at back of house and buried it. I was lucky in that power for the pump was easy to get as I had a power line ran to my home office.

it comes on automatically when the sump fills to a certain level - thats adjustable.

Not sue what else you need to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I just put in a sump pump and it seems to be doing the job. Its a Titan from screwfix. I did buy another from adverts Eineel but it packed in after a week.
    I ran 1 inch hose ( B&Q ) to a gully at back of house and buried it. I was lucky in that power for the pump was easy to get as I had a power line ran to my home office.

it comes on automatically when the sump fills to a certain level - thats adjustable.

Not sue what else you need to know?[/QUO

How did you set up the pump in the ground? Did you use a bucket to set the pump in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Have you checked how deep the compacted soil goes down to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

Just an update..

After a lot of rain i set up a sump pump in the middle of the newly formed "lake", at the back of the garden. Drained all the water away to storm drain.

However after about 4 hours despite having no more rain, the "lake" is there again.
    I have now drained it more than 5 times and it keeps coming back, I must have the wettest lawn in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭blackbox

Maybe your storm drain terminates under your lawn! :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The problem is if everyone's back gardens are full of water and you drain yours the water from theirs will just flow in.
    The best solution is if you could tie the French drains into the surface water drains but you mentioned garden slopes away.
    Does the surface water drain go out the front of your house, or is it connected to house behind at all.
    Is the neighbour behind below you, do you know them, any chance you could work with them to drain into their storm drains.

Advertisement