Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Wow this looks neat.

I am looking for a closed box so I can possibly store lawnmower also in it and few of my garden tools.
    Double C wrote: »
    I built this easily enough from some 2x4, materials came in under 70 euro. There are lots of videos on Youtube with ideas.

I got the 189 euro pallet of ash and oak from Topline

530546.jpg

https://www.diy.com/departments/keter-store-it-out-arc-plastic-garden-storage-box/653851_BQ.prd

Would this box be enough to store 1.2 m3 worth of woods?
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    That’s big money

Knock up a few pallets and some tarp
    Or get a wooden storage unit like I linked the other day, they can be purchased on eBay quite cheaply

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭POBox19

The capacity is 1200L, so yes.
    I've got net bags in a Keter midi and it keeps the logs very dry. But the sides and back distort if you stack logs up against them, so the doors or lid won't close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

I've a few bags of coal in steeltech shed stored since earlier in the year. Still in plastic bags.

I opened one up there and the coal at the top is fine but further down the bag there's some moisture. What happened?

How do should bags of coal be stored? I would've thought in a shed was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Double C wrote: »
    I built this easily enough from some 2x4, materials came in under 70 euro. There are lots of videos on Youtube with ideas.

I got the 189 euro pallet of ash and oak from Topline

530546.jpg

Is that the full pallet of topline logs in the picture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

bailey99 wrote: »
    I've a few bags of coal in steeltech shed stored since earlier in the year. Still in plastic bags.

I opened one up there and the coal at the top is fine but further down the bag there's some moisture. What happened?

It's no issue having damp coal. I store my texan in the open. No problem burning it wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

bailey99 wrote: »

It's probably just a bit of condensation , for coal shouldn't cause a problem .. or maybe the coal was wetish as it went in to the bag ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is there much point getting kiln dried wood if you're just going put it in a log store ?

I was just looking at the coughlans website , and you can buy a dumpy bag of " seasoned ash " for 120 euro ,( delivered )
    Or a 1.2 m³ crate of kiln dried ash for 230, aside fr the volume difference between dumpy and stacked crate ,is the kiln dried gonna just take on moisture in an open fronted log store over winter .. ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is there much point getting kiln dried wood if you're just going put it in a log store ?

I was just looking at the coughlans website , and you can buy a dumpy bag of " seasoned ash " for 120 euro ,( delivered )
    Or a 1.2 m³ crate of kiln dried ash for 230, aside fr the volume difference between dumpy and stacked crate ,is the kiln dried gonna just take on moisture in an open fronted log store over winter .. ?

The dumpy bag is a 'tonne bag' which are typically 80cmx80cmx80cm= 0.51m3 so its a fair bit less than 1.2m3 and the price reflects that. You'd need almost two and a half of those bags to make up the same volume as the crate so 300 all up if buying it that way.

As for moisture, I tested this a bit last winter and yes the logs will take on a bit of moisture with an open fronted log store. My meter was showing some logs close to the ground reached 26% outdoors as diagonal rain would splash them a bit. However Ive an indoor log store too beside the fire meaning most of what Im burning has been indoors 2-3 weeks before it gets used. When tested that way logs had gone back down in moisture with time, in general to 15-18% moisture after 2 weeks in the heat and 12-15% after 3 weeks with the odd few logs being even lower than 12%. Its just a cheap Aldi moisture I have so its not going to be 100% accurate but it was in the zone of what I want for burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

gooner99 wrote: »
    Is that the full pallet of topline logs in the picture?

Yes it's the full pallet, two layers of logs deep. The good fit around the little shelf I made for briquettes was a happy coincidence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Re a wood store, just use 4 pallets and put it against a concrete wall/strong fence that will allow the roof to be sloped.
    Use the largest gauge zip ties you can find and use them to lash the 4 pallets together. 3 if distance requires it. Use 5 pallets if you want to protect the fence or if you want to stop water runoff on the wall getting to the wood at the back. Get quality pallets, the sort they usually like returned. Use a heavy gauge tarp, I've used Lidl/Aldi car covers folded into 4 as the roof. Tied down tightly using the tarp rope. The worst storms haven't budged it in 3 years. Paint it the same colour as your garden shed etc. Looks grand.

gooner99 wrote: »
    It's no issue having damp coal. I store my texan in the open. No problem burning it wet.

Well that's not fully true. Moisture with burning coal creates an acid that attacks your chimney lining. Much like burning wet wood with coal. It'll burn Daddy-O, no problems, but its not a long-term plan for a chimney.

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Thanks. Which ones do you use?

Never having bought wood before I've no idea how much to get . Will order a pallet and see how I get on then know for next year.

Just to decide which one to get. I've seen Rocket Blaze and All Night Long mentioned, so probably one of those.

Stove or open fire?

I've burned most wood briquettes on the Irish market. Rocket Blaze are unreal, Pini Kay extruded, so made with high pressure and the central hole aids burning.
    Ruf-type briquettes are excellent, as are Flamers from Westmeath. They've changed their process too so they're closer to extruded, unlike the Heat Logs style that Aldi and Lidl often sell.
    In the last year, Aldi has been stocking Ruf type briquettes in a pack of 7. I have my doubts over the quality of the wood. Not 100% hardwood.
    If you have space, get a pallet of two of Rocket Blaze and re-build the packs in your shed. If you haven't got proper storage, don't get wood briquettes. I stored 2 metric tonnes of loose ruf briquettes under tarp, on pallets, at the side of s house. They certainly pulled in moisture. Not much, as in they went from 5% to 10%. But that's still a shame. Why burn water?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Stove or open fire?

I've burned most wood briquettes on the Irish market. Rocket Blaze are unreal, Pini Kay extruded, so made with high pressure and the central hole aids burning.
    Ruf-type briquettes are excellent, as are Flamers from Westmeath. They've changed their process too so they're closer to extruded, unlike the Heat Logs style that Aldi and Lidl often sell.
    In the last year, Aldi has been stocking Ruf type briquettes in a pack of 7. I have my doubts over the quality of the wood. Not 100% hardwood.
    If you have space, get a pallet of two of Rocket Blaze and re-build the packs in your shed. If you haven't got proper storage, don't get wood briquettes. I stored 2 metric tonnes of loose ruf briquettes under tarp, on pallets, at the side of s house. They certainly pulled in moisture. Not much, as in they went from 5% to 10%. But that's still a shame. Why burn water?
    Stove. They will be stored in a garage.

Was wondering if the "All Night Long" are so called because they are long burning, or if the name is just marketing.

Think I'll go with Rocket Blaze. Very pricey though.

Thanks a million for the info. Big help to a complete novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭waldo

Stove or open fire?

How do Rocket Blaze compare to Bord na Mona peat briquettes? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

FFVII wrote: »
    Mad money, alright. Thinking of chancing it. Hope it's worth it.

waldo wrote: »
    How do Rocket Blaze compare to Bord na Mona peat briquettes? Thanks

I would say far more heat from Rocket Blaze. I think they still do sample packs? You can check the amount of energy they produce (Mj) and them compare like for like.
    Importantly, as others have said, such little ash from wood briquettes. Turf, like coal, tends to give back a huge amount of ash. Sometimes feels like it's own weight again!!
    I find wood briquettes great for producing intense flame which can help denser woods like oak or blackthorn burn better in an open fire.

But then, I like to experiment with fire (sounds worse than it is!). Currently, I've sold on an Eco grate and now I'm solely using storage heater bricks to extract the maximum energy from small, hot wood fires, with some Arigna or Staffords coal nuggets interspersed. It's effectively a mini masonry heater or sort of rocket mass heater (without the rocket). Though I have experimented with a rocket stove and storage heater bricks to create a rocket mass heater in an open fireplace..!
    The intense heat of this storage heater brick firebox creates a sort of gasifier effect. Tremendous heat and combustion with little to no smoke.

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Stove. They will be stored in a garage.

Was wondering if the "All Night Long" are so called because they are long burning, or if the name is just marketing.

Think I'll go with Rocket Blaze. Very pricey though.

Thanks a million for the info. Big help to a complete novice.

The trick with Pini Kay style briquettes is to open the damper and let them really combust then,when they're burning, close it down and they will glow. They're still solid when poked when they look burnt, whereas a compressed log that is not extruded like Pini Kay process will disintegrate when you poke at it and very often start to burn badly. The compressed ones WILL expand, thus they need careful watching in either an open fire or against glass. Rocket Blaze do not expand.
    I would be surprised if you got through a whole pack in a good (room heater) stove on a long evening from say 5 til 12am. So that's 3 months (96 packs) fires for yes a pricey 399. Obviously in an open fire or a boiler stove they'll go a bit quicker.
    If you buy some nice logs now, you can have them drying between now and Christmas and, when out in with the wood briquettes, along with a few coal nuggets, you may never want to leave your house again :D

The trick with Pini Kay style briquettes is to open the damper and let them really combust then,when they're burning, close it down and they will glow. They're still solid when poked when they look burnt, whereas a compressed log that is not extruded like Pini Kay process will disintegrate when you poke at it and very often start to burn badly. The compressed ones WILL expand, thus they need careful watching in either an open fire or against glass. Rocket Blaze do not expand.
    I would be surprised if you got through a whole pack in a good (room heater) stove on a long evening from say 5 til 12am. So that's 3 months (96 packs) fires for yes a pricey 399. Obviously in an open fire or a boiler stove they'll go a bit quicker.
    If you buy some nice logs now, you can have them drying between now and Christmas and, when out in with the wood briquettes, along with a few coal nuggets, you may never want to leave your house again :D
    Having second thoughts now. I've two stoves, one in sitting room (small size stove) one in living room/kitchen (medium size). Both will be going for the evening. Sitting room stove needs servicing or replacing, it's not closing off properly.

• Advertisement

I am a newbie in firewoods and thinking to order :

Sample bundle is made of 2 packs, ~ 20 kg (20 euros)

Would this be enough for 3 months if I light fire once a week?

Also, apart from Ash firewood + rocket blaze + fire lighter. Do I need anything else?

Will be lighting up the stove for the first time in life.
    FFVII wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Also, apart from Ash firewood + rocket blaze + fire lighter. Do I need anything else?

Is this a good deal?

https://lawlessfuel.ie/product/574/

You're not thinking this through at all. That's 12 fires started over 3 months. You'll have enough for 2 sessions. €20 is a 35-40kg bag of coal nuggets. Spare that and you 'might' get 5 fires.

There will be 24 rocket blaze woods in 2 sample packs.

Do I need more than 1 rocket blaze on each occasion to light up the stove?

I was thinking to use 1 rocket blaze to get the fire going on and then throw in the Ash woods.
    You're not thinking this through at all. That's 12 fires started over 3 months. You'll have enough for 2 sessions. €20 is a 35-40kg bag of coal nuggets. Spare that and you 'might' get 5 fires.

Looks pretty good deal to me (as long as its genuine ad).

@Muahahaha can help you on this. I am learning from him.
    Blanco100 wrote: »

Blanco100 wrote: »

If delivery is included then yes 1m3 of ash for 190 euro is a good price. How many fires would you burn on average a week though? If burning 2 wood only fires a week in a stove 1m3 should get you to around Paddys day but if burning 3 or 4 a week you would need more than 1m3 to last the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭k123456

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If delivery is included then yes 1m3 of ash for 190 euro is a good price. How many fires would you burn on average a week though? If burning 2 wood only fires a week in a stove 1m3 should get you to around Paddys day but if burning 3 or 4 a week you would need more than 1m3 to last the winter.

The advantage of the crate above is you have a ready made wood store
    You would need to make "roof" which overhangs the four sides by about eight inches. A sheet of an attractive ply would suffice. Over time the ply will delaminate , so a better approach is , battens , ply and mineral felt. Like a shed roof.

To make a permanent wood store , use pressure treated wood, , perhaps face off with shiplap
    Roof as above

If made properly , and if logs sacked neatly, a wood store can be attractive, and nice way to conceal an ugly block wall, and an addition to a garden

My roof overhang is about 5 inches, and I stack wet fresh wood. Depending on log split size, will be dry in 12 months

Looking like a pallet (96 bales) of rocket blaze won't be enough for my two stoves over the winter. Could I thin them out with something, not coal?

I would be grateful if you can advice what other items are needed to use stove. I am going to order Ash Wood, 1m3. What material would be best to light this kind of wood? Apart from lighter do I need any other tools? Such as wood cutting tool or are the woods are sold in small sizes that it can go straight to the stove?

Any other tips will be highly appreciated.

Have a great evening and thank you.
    Muahahaha wrote: »

• Advertisement

k123456 wrote: »
    The advantage of the crate above is you have a ready made wood store
    You would need to make "roof" which overhangs the four sides by about eight inches. A sheet of an attractive ply would suffice. Over time the ply will delaminate , so a better approach is , battens , ply and mineral felt. Like a shed roof.

yeah provided you can get it into your back garden. In my own case I cant as there is a step up and also gravel to cross so those hand trucks with the metal wheels cannot deal with that. I think some companies deliver on a truck with a crane on the back that can crane it into your back garden but the one I use just has a tail lift on their truck. But yeah if you can get the crate into your back garden then it is a ready made log store that just needs a roof and some tarp to shield it from the rain. I cant so the crate ends up chopped up and I'll burn that wood too as its very dry.
    I would be grateful if you can advice what other items are needed to use stove. I am going to order Ash Wood, 1m3. What material would be best to light this kind of wood? Apart from lighter do I need any other tools? Such as wood cutting tool or are the woods are sold in small sizes that it can go straight to the stove?

Any other tips will be highly appreciated.

Have a great evening and thank you.

You'll need kindling and firelighters to get it started. A shovel for the ash and a metal bucket if you'll be dealing with hot ash. In general though hardwood doesnt produce all that much ash, I let it build up and clean it out around every 6 or 7 fires and its only about 4/5 shovels into a black bag when the ash has gone cold after a day or so. Unless you're lighting a fire every single day I dont see the need for a metal bucket, just let the ash go cold and then clean it out of there.

You'll definitely need a log tongs for moving burning wood around or the odd time a burning log falls against the glass door and needs to be moved. This is the one I have
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fireplace-Tongs-Grabber-Fired-Camping/dp/B087Z2WPX5/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=log+tongs&qid=1603830584&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFETEFKT1dIRURTUVkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA5NjEwODVYTlAxMTMzRDJVSzcmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDA0NzMwNTFEUE5ZNlRWVFNHV0Umd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
    Make sure to get a tongs with long handles or else you'll burn the hands of yourself using one with the short hands.

Generally the logs are cut and small enough to be ready to burn. You will probably get the odd few that would benefit with being chopped in half with an axe. Id play it by ear though before investing in an axe.

Other than that some glass cleaner for the door. There are specialst products out there for stoves but Ive found normal glass cleaner does it just fine. Best way to do it is get some newspaper, make it slightly damp with a splash of water then dip that into some cold ash and scrub the inner door with it. The ash will remove the yellowish burn stains from the glass without scratching it. Then shine the glass up inside and out with glass cleaner and paper towels or more clean newspaper and its done.

Advertisement