Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much Data GB for few Zoom calls?

• 26-10-2020 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

I want to connect my laptop to the internet using an enabled "mobile hotspot" on my mobile which will act as my wireless router using my mobile phone SIM.

If I wanted to do a "few Zoom calls" over the space of a month, would anyone have any idea as to how much data I would need to get on my mobile to allow this?

I don't know specifically how many minutes a "few Zoom calls" actually is, but say it was 4 x 30 minutes, so say two hours in total over the month.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Smythe wrote: »
    I want to connect my laptop to the internet using an enabled "mobile hotspot" on my mobile which will act as my wireless router using my mobile phone SIM.

If I wanted to do a "few Zoom calls" over the space of a month, would anyone have any idea as to how much data I would need to get on my mobile to allow this?

I don't know specifically how many minutes a "few Zoom calls" actually is, but say it was 4 x 30 minutes, so say two hours in total over the month.

Thanks.

A quick Google search brought me up this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+kich+data+zoom+call&oq=how+kich+data+zoom+call&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i13i457j0i13l2j0i22i30.5668j0j7&client=ms-android-samsung-ga-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Thanks.

It's impossible to say. It depends on how many people that are in the call, how much they are moving, the colour clothes they are wearing. Those differences could make one the call use 10x more data than another.

You're looking at between 400Mb to 10Gb per hour.

What data plan have you got? Are you in contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Smythe

DopeTech wrote: »
    What data plan have you got? Are you in contract?

It's a contract, but with very little data. I use it mostly for mobile calls and texts. I think it has 2GB of data/month at most. Though 1GB bolt-ons can be purchased in whatever quantity is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Is your phone itself a smart phone capable of running the Zoom app? Because I have a feeling that will be much more optimised for mobile data than the desktop app.

Additionally, you can toggle your video on and off while in the call — if it’s not a one on one call at least — so that you’re only sending video while speaking. Sending video will substantially increase your data usage.

• Advertisement

It's a contract, but with very little data. I use it mostly for mobile calls and texts. I think it has 2GB of data/month at most. Though 1GB bolt-ons can be purchased in whatever quantity is required.

I'd be very careful with that if I were you. Charges can rocket in a matter of minutes of you going over your allowance. Have you long left in the contract? How much are you paying per month? Maybe you could pay it off early and move to another plan and or network with a better data allowance? 2GB data sounds like it's some sort of legacy plan. Most networks offer unlimited or close to unlimited these days.

I'd be very careful with that if I were you. Charges can rocket in a matter of minutes of you going over your allowance. Have you long left in the contract? How much are you paying per month? Maybe you could pay it off early and move to another plan and or network with a better data allowance? 2GB data sounds like it's some sort of legacy plan. Most networks offer unlimited or close to unlimited these days.

I believe I can leave at any point, it's very little per month as there's very little data on the plan.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Is your phone itself a smart phone capable of running the Zoom app? Because I have a feeling that will be much more optimised for mobile data than the desktop app.

So potentially use Zoom direct from a mobile without the use for a laptop? Presumably it's difficult to achieve steady video of oneself using the mobile only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Zoom is quite good on the phone. Additionally you can turn off incoming video to save data, if you NOT seeing them was ok for you. You can rest the phone somewhere flat to keep it steady and use the speaker system on the phone, or get a set of headphones for the phone if better audio is important.

I believe I can leave at any point, it's very little per month as there's very little data on the plan.

What network are you with and how much are you paying?

Something like 48.ie might suit you. €7.99 a month for 100GB of data and unlimited national calls and texts.

• Advertisement

What network are you with and how much are you paying?

Something like 48.ie might suit you. €7.99 a month for 100GB of data and unlimited national calls and texts.

I'm with Lebara.

I'm with Lebara.

I presume that was meant to be Lyca! If so they are also on the 3 network so signal should be the same on 48. Lyca have plans with 25/35gb but are more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭homingbird

Poster must be from the UK as that is a english network.
    https://mobile.lebara.com/gb/en/best-sim-only-deals/c/simo-contract

I'm with Lebara.

Are you roi based or Ni/uk?

Are you roi based or Ni/uk?

NI

NI

Ah ok. I'm not familiar with the sim only plans up there but I'd move to something with as high a data allowance bad possible without breaking the bank.

Advertisement