Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home printers

• 19-01-2021 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi, wondering if anyone can recommend a reliable printer for home use.

My budget is up to €180.

I am looking for a colour copier / printer / scanner. I don't do a huge amount of printing at all - probably around 150 - 200 pages per month.

Hoping for something quite small / compact to fit on my home desk which isn't very big.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

DocR wrote: »
    Hi, wondering if anyone can recommend a reliable printer for home use.

My budget is up to €180.

I am looking for a colour copier / printer / scanner. I don't do a huge amount of printing at all - probably around 150 - 200 pages per month.

Hoping for something quite small / compact to fit on my home desk which isn't very big.

Multifunctional and colour laser printers are larger and much more expensive than ink printers, but laser is cheaper to to maintain (cheaper to print per page). Laser cartridges/toners are expensive, but you only need to change once a year or in your case that would be even for longer and it makes them cheaper per page.

Ink printers are less reliable, may stop working after around 5 years, especially if you print very little (as printer nozzles get dry and won't print anymore or print with very poor quality) or very much (as ink printer is not design for heavy printing). If you keep a printer always on (to prevent drying out), away from radiator and print at least one page per week black and colour - you should be fine with ink printer. Just look the ink cartridge prices for the specific printer model before you buy as some printers tend to be cheap, but ink is expensive; some printers are opposite - more expensive, but ink is cheaper.

I'd go with Canon or HP. I had both and their quality is pretty much same. I personally like HP more due to simpler design. I'm not sure about Epson though. I'd recommend a Wifi printer if you PC/laptop will be away from printer so you could print using Wifi rather than via cable. But even though, I still prefer cable as sometimes after restarting a Wifi modem, need to reset a printer to work for wifi printing again which sometimes can be annoying.

Don't pay more than 120-150 Euro for a multifunctional ink printer - not worth ;) Expect if ink cartridges for that model is cheaper and that would save you money in time.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2813824/Trail/searchtext%3EPRINTER.htm
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8019316/Trail/searchtext%3EPRINTER.htm
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7177620/Trail/searchtext%3EPRINTER.htm
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5252059/Trail/searchtext%3EPRINTER.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DocR

Thanks so much for your response Citrus_8, it's hugely helpful. I was veering towards HP so will take a look at those suggestions you have made and chose from there!

I hadn't given too much thought about laser vs inkjet so I do appreciate your guidance in that regard also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭xabi

Get a laser, do you really need colour printing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

xabi wrote: »
    Get a laser, do you really need colour printing?
    Laser indeed is a peace of mind. But a colour one is pretty expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Citrus_8 wrote: »
    But a colour one is pretty expensive.

Not necessarily. Here's one for 200 euro.

More info in this thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement