Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prank calls from Tunisia landline

• 16-01-2021 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭

Anyone else getting prank calls from a Tunisian landline number in the last few weeks? Anyway to stop it as its getting annoying at this stage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

raclle wrote: »
    Anyone else getting prank calls from a Tunisian landline number in the last few weeks? Anyway to stop it as its getting annoying at this stage

Haven't got any. If it's from the same number each time then it should be easy to block. What phone have you got? You can usually block numbers in the phone app.

what do you mean prank calls?

this is usually the case of a scam where the idea is to get you to call back and you'll be charged some huge premium number call rate so the scammers make money that way.

try to block the number in your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Happened to my father yesterday. Fortunately he didn't ring back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭raclle

DopeTech wrote: »
    Haven't got any. If it's from the same number each time then it should be easy to block. What phone have you got? You can usually block numbers in the phone app.
    It started happening with the father and now I'm getting them as well. Its the same number calling. Shows the number and then Tunisia beside it. Rings for a few seconds every hour and then hangs up. I wasn't aware of been able to block it with the phone app but I'll certainly check that now. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bronkobilly

if its scams calls if u block that number they just ring on another number last year i had six to eight numbers a day ringing from buying shares in one thing or another it went on for weeks in the end i had to change my number most of the numbers look irish numbers but are mostly coming from africa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Apparently Tusnia and Turkey dont like each other, maybe play the Turkish national anthem down the phone at them next time they ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Recliner

It started happening with the father and now I'm getting them as well. Its the same number calling. Shows the number and then Tunisia beside it. Rings for a few seconds every hour and then hangs up. I wasn't aware of been able to block it with the phone app but I'll certainly check that now. Cheers

I got 2 yesterday, just rang for a second and hung up. They usually get bored after a bit and feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Recliner wrote: »
    I got 2 yesterday, just rang for a second and hung up. They usually get bored after a bit and feck off.

It's automated, it rings random numbers by the 1000s....
    Nothing about been bored.

They are a premium number if people stupidly call back....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Recliner wrote: »

As above, its a scam not a prank. Sometimes they play a woman screeming etc, its to induce you to call back.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Recliner

ED E wrote: »
    As above, its a scam not a prank. Sometimes they play a woman screeming etc, its to induce you to call back.

I know that, just used getting bored as a figure of speech if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Got a call from a strange number on my mobile last week and just blocked it and nothing since. :D

Used to get calls from India all the time looking to "fix the virus on my computer".
    Started to take the mick out of them by answering the call and stringing them along for as long as I could.
    Used to tell them I needed to turn on the computer and put the phone in a drawer and left it there but when I returned to it around 30 minutes later, they were never there for some reason! ;).
    1 guy rang, did above but he kept ringing back so I went along with it for the crack.
    He told me to "turn my computer on", I asked him what temperature did he want it turned up to, he said, NO A COMPUTER, this went on for a while!
    When I got bored, I said to him, "OH Computer, I thought you said cooker, I don't have a computer!"
    "&^*(*&^!!!!!", he then told me I was a bad man and hung up!
    Never heard from him again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭corkie

2 Calls to my mobile today from Tunisia. Didn't answer and they hang up after a few mins

00 216 98 094 133
    00 216 93 205 243

I known how to Block and report as spam, but what is the point if they use different numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

corkie wrote: »
    2 Calls to my mobile today from Tunisia. Didn't answer and they hang up after a few mins

00 216 98 094 133
    00 216 93 205 243

I known how to Block and report as spam, but what is the point if they use different numbers.

There needs to be an option to block an entire country code, I'd block all of Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Atticus Jung

I was getting called for a while so I changed my voicemail to a second of silence. When a call came in I just cancelled it. I could listen back to the call and hear them chatting amongst themselves. Maybe its a coincidence but after a couple of days the calls stopped. I never had any extra charges and as far as I know receiving a voicemail is free but if you try it make sure you check with your operator first

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Open your "phone" app, click on the three dots in the top right corner, you'll see "settings". Click on that, and you'll seean option to "block numbers". Click on that, and you'll see the option to block unknown numbers, and/or block specific numbers...

Screenshot-20210210-161804-Call-settings.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Perhaps not all bad. ;)
    Im currently in negotiation with a African prince who wants to " rest " ten million dollars in my account . Hes promised me 10% for my trouble .
    Ive just to send him on my bank account details , copy of my passport and driving license .
    What could possibly go wrong.
    Will keep you updated.:rolleyes:

Advertisement