Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AirPods Max

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I had about three of those Magsafe cables an none freyed on me ... I was always carefully when wrapping it up .. but I also had one in my office and one at home so it probably didn't get much abuse.

I've been using apple kit for about 20 years and only had a handful of times that I needed support / warranty and in the main it was always a good experience. In recent years I've used the apple store in belfast as i'm only about an hour away and the support with Applecare+ is really good.

Before christmas I ordered a case and a magsafe for my new iphone .. the case shipped fine .. the magsafe was on back order - DHL eventually lost the package and I had a bit of email tennis with DHL and when I contacted Apple they just sent out a replacement. Of course DHL had to make a mess of that order and they had it marked as delivered but I didn't get it. I got on to Apple and they were investigating it - in the mean time my neighbor dropped it in to me - it was left in his driveway.

I let apple know and they refunded me the total cost of the order including the case ... so I can't really complain

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

whippet wrote: »
    on another note - my airpod pro's developed that rattling sound in the right bud .... I logged a support ticket via chat yesterday at about 3pm and UPS just arrived at my door with the replacement unit

Do any of the other major tech companies have turnaround times like that on consumer goods ?

Had the same issue recently and UPS were out to me in 48 hours. Infuriatingly the opposite bud has just developed the same problem. Hope they return them too. Very impressed with the first request.

So ... my AirPod Max's have developed the condensation problem. I'm not too confident in how these headphone will stand up to a normal day now.

I was walking on the beach yesterday listening to podcasts - it was cold outside but dry. I left the headphones in the case overnight and when I went to use them earlier today indoors I noticed wind-like noise in the right ear. I took off the pads and there was quite a bit of condensation inside. The mesh on the removable pads was noticeably damp.

from looking on line the wind like noise is from the noise cancellation reacting to the water.

If I can't use these headphones on a normal day outdoors in Ireland they are not fit for purpose and will be going back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Oh no. Doesn’t sound good. Have you returned them or are you going to keep them? I’m considering getting these but for the price they’d want to to be god damn perfect! I already own a pair of Bowers and Wilkins PX7 (noise cancelling) and P7W which sound great. Well the P7W sound better than the PX7.

Oh no. Doesn’t sound good. Have you returned them or are you going to keep them? I’m considering getting these but for the price they’d want to to be god damn perfect! I already own a pair of Bowers and Wilkins PX7 (noise cancelling) and P7W which sound great. Well the P7W sound better than the PX7.

Here are two photos just taken .. headphones have been in the case for 24 hours after being out for a few hours walking.

No wind noise or distortion at the moment but I did wipe them down when I got back yesterday.

I’m sure if I don’t keep wiping them they will build up enough moisture to cause problems .. so at this stage I’m leaning towards ‘not fit for purpose’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Had the same issue recently and UPS were out to me in 48 hours. Infuriatingly the opposite bud has just developed the same problem. Hope they return them too. Very impressed with the first request.

Just to update; they replaced them with 24 hours of contacting. Hugely impressed. Sorely tempted to buy the max now however my Beats Studios are working fine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Yeah I find the customer service unbelievable. Always liable to get someone that isn't as clued in but can't fault them overall. Have had almost every iPhone since the 3Gs at this stage and the customer service is a big part of why. I always worry when I read the likes of Macrumours when people are getting 7 replacements because one pixel has a slightly lighter share of cyan that the others that it will ruin it eventually.

whippet wrote: »
    Here are two photos just taken .. headphones have been in the case for 24 hours after being out for a few hours walking.

No wind noise or distortion at the moment but I did wipe them down when I got back yesterday.

I’m sure if I don’t keep wiping them they will build up enough moisture to cause problems .. so at this stage I’m leaning towards ‘not fit for purpose’

Strange. I know I do get moisture on my cups too but never checked inside. Maybe see what Apple think but you’d imagine that these were tested “in the wild” under different outdoor environments prior to release.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I ordered a pair from CompuB with an 8% Edu discount via my employer. I selected space grey, which was apparently in stock but they contacted me to say they had silver in stock. I didn’t want to wait a month so I went with the silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Any reviews after a decent while using them?

A work colleague of mine in the US got his last week and hasn't used them much, but is starting to travel again for work very soon so that's when they'll come into their own I think. I'm torn on ordering some, especially because I love my AirPods Pro so much and use them all the time!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

voldejoie wrote: »
    Any reviews after a decent while using them?

A work colleague of mine in the US got his last week and hasn't used them much, but is starting to travel again for work very soon so that's when they'll come into their own I think. I'm torn on ordering some, especially because I love my AirPods Pro so much and use them all the time!
    Have mine about 3 weeks now.

Have to say I absolutely love them. The only place I don’t use them is in the gym, used them once and got quite sweaty, and the cups were soaked, that could be just me, I get terribly sweaty.

The ease of switching them from device to device, and the way if you’re watching a movie on your iMac and get a call on your phone it’ll automatically switch.

Can’t wait to use them on a flight, the NC is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,823 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is the condensation still a big issue on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

After buying a set of anker air pods, would never waste the cash on apple ones again

Having both there is just no way to justify the price.

Buying a brand no tech. Which is fine if its your thing.

After buying a set of anker air pods, would never waste the cash on apple ones again

Having both there is just no way to justify the price.

Buying a brand no tech. Which is fine if its your thing.

Do your Anker ones seamlessly switch from device to device without having to do anything?

Do they automatically connect as soon as you open your device? Can you view battery levels of all your devices along with your Anker pods in a widget?

Do your Anker ones have ANC and Transparency mode?

Buy cheap, buy twice, if that’s your thing.

Headshot wrote: »

I think it’s always going to be due to the design.

Headshot wrote: »

It is an issue but in reality it isn't impacting on my use of them .... as when I am out walking / jogging i'll usually remove the cups when I get home anyway to dry out due to sweat ... and i'll give them a bit of a wipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I’m in need of new Bluetooth headphones but these are well out out my price range. Plus I never used Over Ear headphones - I’m guessing I would find wearing glasses while using them to be uncomfortable.

I need help choosing but I lack the knowledge to properly explain what I want but I currently have cheap headphones that that are loud, do a great job of picking up the back ground noise in movies and even vibrate like sub worker with noise like explosions.

And I mainly need them for AppleTV.

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I’m in need of new Bluetooth headphones but these are well out out my price range. Plus I never used Over Ear headphones - I’m guessing I would find wearing glasses while using them to be uncomfortable.
    [...]

Any advice?

Don't know how comfortable the Max's are with glasses, but I wear Bose QC35s all day with glasses, and they're no bother. So unless you specifically hear otherwise, I'd assume they're fine. But then headphone comfort can be an individual taste thing.

For what you describe, I'd go with AirPod Pros. Much cheaper than the Max (plus you'll often get discounts on them from the likes of Amazon, Littlewoods and others). They have noise cancelling, excellent Apple TV integration and they support Atmos spatial audio - but on only on Apple TV+ titles at present. But seemingly Netflix are working on supporting them for Atmos though, so that will be pretty good assuming it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I need help choosing but I lack the knowledge to properly explain what I want but I currently have cheap headphones that that are loud, do a great job of picking up the back ground noise in movies and even vibrate like sub worker with noise like explosions.

And I mainly need them for AppleTV.

Any advice?

Glasses are not on issue with over ear headphones as cushions just go against them.

I have Sony 1000-XM3 and it's zero issue and don't see how Apple's would be any different.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Glasses are not on issue with over ear headphones as cushions just go against them.

I have Sony 1000-XM3 and it's zero issue and don't see how Apple's would be any different.

I meant that in regards to myself - not that I thought it was an issue for everyone.

Occasionally there is discomfort on my head just above my right ear caused by my glasses. It doesn’t happen all the time and happens with every pair of specs I ever had. There is of note on my head and the glasses are fine. Just every few months they become uncomfortable to wear and I need to stop yawing them for around two weeks and everything is okay then

I think over ear cups will make that worse.

• Advertisement

Don't know how comfortable the Max's are with glasses, but I wear Bose QC35s all day with glasses, and they're no bother. So unless you specifically hear otherwise, I'd assume they're fine. But then headphone comfort can be an individual taste thing.

For what you describe, I'd go with AirPod Pros. Much cheaper than the Max (plus you'll often get discounts on them from the likes of Amazon, Littlewoods and others). They have noise cancelling, excellent Apple TV integration and they support Atmos spatial audio - but on only on Apple TV+ titles at present. But seemingly Netflix are working on supporting them for Atmos though, so that will be pretty good assuming it happens.

I’ve never been able to wear headphones with rubber tips like that.

They keep popping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

there is a firmware update 3C39

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

My brother has been using a set of these for a few weeks now. He thinks the sound quality is amazing but has complained loudly about software bugs – not least the fact that using Siri to send a text causes one ear to go completely silent. He also thinks the case is pointless.

I'll be interested to see whether the new firmware solves the issues. I've been using Beats for a while but would love an upgrade...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

I haven’t had any issues with Siri ... and I use it quite a bit especially when out and about.

The only connection issue I have is the odd time if I move between the iPad and MacBook Pro for teams calls .. I sometimes have to select the audio source manually on the Mac

What is the AirPod Max like with AppleTV ?

Just picked up an incredibly good value stand for these.

Been looking for a stand for a while, but all the strands i've seen would damage the mesh in the headband, then i saw the ones apple were using in their stores in the states to display them, and it looks incredible....then i spotted this one on Reddit.

less than 23euro DELIVERED direct from the manufacturer.

https://benksglobal.com/products/airpods-max-stand

Looks to be made of good materials too, kind of excited to see this in person.

Will report back in 3-12 days! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

eeloe wrote: »
    Just picked up an incredibly good value stand for these.

Been looking for a stand for a while, but all the strands i've seen would damage the mesh in the headband, then i saw the ones apple were using in their stores in the states to display them, and it looks incredible....then i spotted this one on Reddit.

less than 23euro DELIVERED direct from the manufacturer.

https://benksglobal.com/products/airpods-max-stand

Looks to be made of good materials too, kind of excited to see this in person.

Will report back in 3-12 days! :D

I'll await your review , looks good

So those of you that have these a while now, what’s your opinion? I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on them. I’d be coming from owning pairs of Bowers and Wilkins PX7 and P7W.

So those of you that have these a while now, what’s your opinion? I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on them. I’d be coming from owning pairs of Bowers and Wilkins PX7 and P7W.

I've mine quite a while now ... while I've never really had 'high-end' headphones before - so far i've been quite impressed

Battery life is good - i've not run out yet; but I do tend to charge them when they get to about 50%.

The noise cancellation is really good in comparison to the MS Surface headphones and AirPod Pros I've had. I walk on a beach most days and when the wind is up usually no amount of NC will drown out the sounds but these do a much better job.

The fabric cups are much better when wearing for a long time compared to faux leather type - sweat / clamminess isn't an issue. The headband is comfortable and the build quality is very good.

I'd love wireless charging mind you - it seems alien to actually have to plug something in these days !

I did initially have issues with condensation inside the cups - this seems not to be a problem anymore. If it has been quite cold outside or if I was walking briskly / jogging by habit i'd take off the cups when I got home and give the inside a bit of a wipe.

The case is a nonsense - looks stupid, marks very easily .. i've bought a full on case for about 20 quid on amazon which is better but tend to have them on a stand on my desktop.

I do a lot of teams calls - usually i'd use the desktop speakers and mic but if i'm not in my office i'd use them with the iPAd Pro and MacBook Pro ... this can be hit and miss on the connectivity - especially if I've been using them with the iPhone. It shows as being connected but isn't coming up as an option on the Teams call straightaway - but might take 30 secs or so.

Overall I am happy with them

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I will be able to get them with 20% off too which will help but they are crazy expensive and should not be priced that high. It will be interesting to see how many units they shift this year.

Advertisement