Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help with laptop please

• 01-10-2020 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

Was charging a phone from usb port on my laptop, seems the charging cable was fraided and the pos and neg must have touched as it completely shut down my hp laptop, I removed the laptop battery and have got laptop starting again but will only show the hp logo and says press the esc key for startup menu but when you do nothing happens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

So you shorted the USB port and your laptop shutdown.
    I would unplug everything from it that you can remove, then connect it to the power supply and press the power button. Does it still do that?

Sometimes the laptop tries to boot from the USB stick so I would make sure all sticks are removed as mentioned above.

If it's still not working then press Delete while the computer is starting (or F12, depends what says on the screen) to enter the BIOS/UEFI menu. It should tell you if it can see a hard drive inside to boot from.

it could be that somehow you fired your hard drive and the computer doesn't see it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

i got round to this again and removed the hard drive from this laptop and took HD from another laptop and put it in this one and its booted up and working fine so motherboard ok, it seems the damage was to the HD.

I took the damaged HD and put it in other laptop and its saying this
    check cable connect
    errorwhile initializing the nic
    exiting intel pxe rom
    no bootable device, insert boot disc

Advertisement