Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple ID Hacked !?

Options
  • 30-09-2020 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

On my iPad and saw that a few of the apps needed updating so decided to do it before I hit the hay.

On pressing UPDATE on the first app I was prompted to enter the password for the Apple ID and it’s also happening if I’m trying to just download a free app. I’d disabled the requirement to enter this when downloading/updating when I got the iPad two years ago. I don’t recall the password but the two likely suspects are not working. It’s written somewhere.

Could the ID have been hacked ? Bit weird all of a sudden with me having not been remotely tinkering with ANY of the settings on my account that just all of a sudden I’m prompted for passwords...

Anybody had this issue or know of a fix please ?

I’m not all that in the know about the inner machinations of Apple software but any tips or help muchly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Strumms wrote: »
    Hi all,

On my iPad and saw that a few of the apps needed updating so decided to do it before I hit the hay.

On pressing UPDATE on the first app I was prompted to enter the password for the Apple ID and it’s also happening if I’m trying to just download a free app. I’d disabled the requirement to enter this when downloading/updating when I got the iPad two years ago. I don’t recall the password but the two likely suspects are not working. It’s written somewhere.

Could the ID have been hacked ? Bit weird all of a sudden with me having not been remotely tinkering with ANY of the settings on my account that just all of a sudden I’m prompted for passwords...

Anybody had this issue or know of a fix please ?

I’m not all that in the know about the inner machinations of Apple software but any tips or help muchly appreciated.

You should just be able to reset it if you're having trouble. Also, for future, consider MFA for initial logins for devices, this will reduce risk of access by hacking. However, writing passwords down is never a good idea (as I am sure you're aware). As far as being hacked, can you remember if you have clicked links or anything in emails from unknown sources recently? Even by accident? Maybe a login to something that uses the same email as your Apple ID? Llike you said you have 2 likely suspects in terms of password, thus implying if you did the phisher had a 50/50 chance of getting your actual password for your Apple ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭peter4918

Did you get any notification popping up to say your Apple ID is being used to sign in near (someplace you are not) at any stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

peter4918 wrote: »
    Did you get any notification popping up to say your Apple ID is being used to sign in near (someplace you are not) at any stage?

Nope, I did manage to get it resolved however and changed the password, Apple seemingly none the wiser, a friend of a friend is working there who helped me get back on track and reset. Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Just activate 2 Factor Authentication on your account in your Apple ID Security Settings to give you added security.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thanks Decon

More weirdness.

iPad switched on this morning.

“Your Apple ID is now being used for IMessage on a new Mac.

If you recently signed into VYbEkYNh you can ignore this message”.

I’ve never used IMessage. It’s about 8 years since I used a Mac.

What could be going on ? Any ideas it’s too weird all this.

Always been cautious with passwords and so on. Not obvious and differing from email to email, app to app...

Thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Strumms wrote: »
    Thanks Decon

More weirdness.

iPad switched on this morning.

“Your Apple ID is now being used for IMessage on a new Mac.

If you recently signed into VYbEkYNh you can ignore this message”.

I’ve never used IMessage. It’s about 8 years since I used a Mac.

What could be going on ? Any ideas it’s too weird all this.

Always been cautious with passwords and so on. Not obvious and differing from email to email, app to app...

Thanks...

I guess the accounts are linked on your devices and just being informative. You can see what devices are connected add/remove to your apple id under devices @ Apple ID Security Settings

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lizzy77

Can anyone offer me a bit of help please.

I bought a second hand apple laptop and it’s great.

However there is an other name on the Apple ID .
    I have since set up my own Apple account and I’d but how do I delete this old one?

Thanks

Lizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Lizzy77 wrote: »
    Can anyone offer me a bit of help please.

I bought a second hand apple laptop and it’s great.

However there is an other name on the Apple ID .
    I have since set up my own Apple account and I’d but how do I delete this old one?

Thanks

Lizzy

interested in responses to this too - i bought a refurbed apple watch 5 for my wife, and the activity app keeps saying well done, Orla when she hits her daily goals etc. but her name isn't Orla....

was going to try a reset this evening to see would that clear it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lizzy77

ablelocks wrote: »
    interested in responses to this too - i bought a refurbed apple watch 5 for my wife, and the activity app keeps saying well done, Orla when she hits her daily goals etc. but her name isn't Orla....

was going to try a reset this evening to see would that clear it...

Wonder if my question was posted in the right area of boards? As no replies?
    Any advice welcomed
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

lizzy and able, i would suggest both of you do a factory reset on the laptop, it will wipe it back to its factory settings, all nice and new.
    Now to be very clear.

THIS WILL WIPE ALL DATA

So backup any pictures or documents etc as they will all be wiped.
    Also if there was extra applications installed on the laptop, which didnt come with it, they will be gone too. For instance an office application etc?

Once you are satisfied nothing on it you care about losing, nuke it using these steps
    https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/reset-mac-3494564/
    When its done, you will be setting it up as a new user, logging in for 1st time etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

for the watch, it turns out my wifes nickname in her phone contact card was set to Orla for some reason, and that's what the activity app was using.

found here

Advertisement