Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iOS 14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Mr.S wrote: »
    Public beta starts today.

Who's making the plunge?

I was gonna... but I think I’ll wait to see how folks get on :pac: or wait for PB2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

peteeeed wrote: »

Installing on the iPad now. Probably install iOS 14 on my main device closer to the GM.

Yes

Thanks. Do you need to delete the developer profile first? I want to install this on the iPad (dev one on it). I’ll keep the phone on 13 for now for the C19 app.

I ended up installing on my iPad. Nothing overly exciting so far.

@Mr S, there’s a few posts back a bit about the exposure notification not working with the beta, it’s in the notes of the release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 waffles85

Unless they're a developer who has the app on their main phone and want to have the covid app working :pac:

developer who has the app on their main phone and want to have the covid app working, I am

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭iniall

Yeah installed it on my iPad last night, no significant changes to the home screen - the iPad doesn't get all the new stuff that the phone gets. And my iPad is too old for the pencil, so I can't try Scribble either. Not unexpected, but it's still a little bit of a let down to install a new version of the OS and just get slightly different widgets...

iniall wrote: »
    Yeah installed it on my iPad last night, no significant changes to the home screen - the iPad doesn't get all the new stuff that the phone gets. And my iPad is too old for the pencil, so I can't try Scribble either. Not unexpected, but it's still a little bit of a let down to install a new version of the OS and just get slightly different widgets...

I actually went in and checked that it had downloaded haha i'm liking the update to the music app

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Does anybody know does the AIB and Ulster Bank ROI banking apps work in the Beta iOS14?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Does anybody know does the AIB and Ulster Bank ROI banking apps work in the Beta iOS14?

Ulster Bank does anyway

• Advertisement

Everything is crashing at the moment , facebook strikes again

https://9to5mac.com/2020/07/10/app-crash-facebook-sdk/

Can verify for AIB on iPad, also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

BOI works

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing proper 3rd party integration, unless I massively missed out on something.

A Spotify integration for Widgets would be great, as I much prefer it over Apple Music, namely because I can use Spotify on my Google Home.

Overall impression is good so far, while it's stuff I by and large experienced on Android many years ago, it's still fantastic to have the extra customization available on iOS.

The covid tracker app (check in )worked for me today

The covid tracker app (check in )worked for me today

The check in always worked for me on it. The contract tracing never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Judging by some developer posts on Twitter, 3rd party widgets are possible, so that’s good. One for outlook and Spotify would be ideal.

Yup there's WWDC sessions on WidgetKit (new APIs) to allow 3rd party developers to create their own widgets.

I'm not that optimistic about Widgets on iOS they're being sold as being very similar to watchOS complications, therefore they're purely informational, cannot have play/pause/ff/rw button controls (for Spotify or any other music app). The use cases seem quite limited to me right now but I guess we will see when developers can submit iOS 14 apps in September.

Little piece about the exposure notification issue on iOS 14 beta.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/07/15/contact-tracing-apps-in-europe/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Noticed that with the Podcast widget, no function to play / pause.

You'd wonder why!?

Thought that was just me, seems like an odd limitation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Noticed that with the Podcast widget, no function to play / pause.

You'd wonder why!?

The underlying architecture of Widgets has stemmed from the APIs used to create complications on the watch, it was a limitation there and limitation all the way up now (iOS/iPadOS/macOS). Bare in mind existing widgets will still function the way they do now until they start targeting iOS 14 as a base SDK at that point they'll need to move over to WidgetKit or kill their Widget entirely.

I can see why they did it this way, and they glossed over it in the keynote/state of the union presentations. Unless they change it by September time there'll be a lot of confused and disappointed customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Ulster bank app works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭turfthrower

Could someone check if the Sky TV app is working on IOS 14?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I could see widgets for smart home accessories being the biggest losers from Apple restricting the new widgets to read-only functionality. E.g. where you could toggle power plugs and lights on and off this would be no longer available under the new widgets. I wonder if Apple are planning to phase out the previous widget page that lives to the left of the first page of apps.

Probably their way of encouraging smart home accessories to adopt HomeKit, it's still slim pickings out there when trying to find supported accessories. They're either US-only or double the price of Google/Amazon supported ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 waffles85

Did anyone else notice that the RTÉ News Nows app is pasting blindly without asking like LinkedIn etc?

DubDJ wrote: »
    I could see widgets for smart home accessories being the biggest losers from Apple restricting the new widgets to read-only functionality. E.g. where you could toggle power plugs and lights on and off this would be no longer available under the new widgets. I wonder if Apple are planning to phase out the previous widget page that lives to the left of the first page of apps.

Probably their way of encouraging smart home accessories to adopt HomeKit, it's still slim pickings out there when trying to find supported accessories. They're either US-only or double the price of Google/Amazon supported ones.
    that would be a disaster, the only widget i currently use is the hue one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

DubDJ wrote: »

Off topic but Ikea smart stuff supports HomeKit. Some really nice devices there on a budget... hive on the other hand :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Off topic but Ikea smart stuff supports HomeKit. Some really nice devices there on a budget... hive on the other hand :(

I hate having the additional hubs that come along with smart home devices. That's why I've avoided using stuff like Ikea's smart home range. They're great on price though, and they have one of the larger selections. I've mostly stuck to stuff like Lifx bulbs and off-brand smart power strips.

One iOS 14 feature that I'm looking forward to is having the ability to have all smart home toggles from the Home app's Control Centre shortcut in the actual control centre instead of having to tap into the home icon to expand it out. That way it's just a swipe down from the home screen and all your toggles are front and centre. Again this is another reason I think Apple will eventually discontinue the widget screen on previous iOS versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

shanec1928 wrote: »
    that would be a disaster, the only widget i currently use is the hue one

Hue works fine with HomeKit.

Hue works fine with HomeKit.

More of I like how I’ve it set up currently :pac:

• Advertisement

I see Dev Beta 3 is up. Such a shame the exposure notification is still turned off.

Advertisement