Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Fire Kids Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Back down to £79.99 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Does anyone have any information on the subscription?
    Fire for Kids Unlimited costs £3.99 per month - when does this kick in and is it automatic? The reason I ask is because I'm getting charged every month for a AMZ digital download (approx €9.50, I've 2 kindle fire for kids) and I can't see the charges in Amazon... I'm awaiting contact from Amazon before I go to the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Its a hidden charge from Amazon. There is no interface to see the charge from Amazon. They won't show subscriptions for devices on the site. Kindle unlimited is not tied to a device. I managed to cancel mine and get my 4 charges refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

Can anyone tell me exactly what does work in Ireland? Is it just the videos that don't work, so the apps and games, books and educational content will work?

Can I install a VLC player (to play downloaded youtube video's for offline viewing?)

I've read through the thread but as its going on over 2 years I'm not sure whats accurate. I'm facing a 10 hour flight with two kids next month so just had a look around amazon for a kids tablet and came across the fire kids. But am I better off with an android tablet?

walshy123 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me exactly what does work in Ireland? Is it just the videos that don't work, so the apps and games, books and educational content will work?

Can I install a VLC player (to pay downloaded youtube video's for offline viewing?)

I've read through the thread but as its going on over 2 years I'm not sure whats accurate. I'm facing a 10 hour flight with two kids next month so just had a look around amazon for a kids tablet and came across the fire kids. But am I better off with an android tablet?

So my kids have had their tablets since Christmas and absolutely love them. They love all the apps and games. As fair as I'm aware its only the videos that do not work.

But it doesn't have the app that they all want and keep coming to our phones and the iPad for - YouTube Kids.

So the tablets are great and so are the apps. They love the freedom of being able to install what apps they want. I would strongly urge you to get at least a 64GB microSD card for each tablet for installing apps. I think I went with 32GB and quite often I have to clean them down and delete apps. The return policy is great and I've already replaced a tablet for free as the little lad broke the screen. The bumper cases are good too.

So that been said , when the year subscription to the free apps is up in December I'm not sure will I fork out for the monthly sub. I might consider installing Android on them (if possible on what ever version of Fire OS is running) and letting the kids use that. At least they'll have YouTube Kids. I have two spare 7" Fire tablets anyway that I picked up when on sale for £30 that I can install Android on.

I have the older tablet, not the one released in the last couple of months so I can't say what that battery is like. But on the tablets we got last Christmas, I'm not sure they would get 10 hours out of the battery. Then again on that flight, I'm sure the kids will sleep for a good portion of it.

If you get them, buy the 64GB cards are mentioned above and install the Netflix app. Download loads of kids tv and movies for the flight. Each of my kids has Netflix on the tablet and they use it. If I was travelling, I'd download their favourite cartoons.

So yes, I'd say they are worth it at least for the first year until the subscription runs out.

• Advertisement

The usual late October offer is on. £79 for the 7” and £99 for the 8”. I don’t think they were reduced for Black Friday this year so best to buy now for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

Hoping to buy 2 soon for Christmas presents, 129 pounds each on Amazon, is this best price available, thanks

Hoping to buy 2 soon for Christmas presents, 129 pounds each on Amazon, is this best price available, thanks

The 8” was £99 and the 7” was £79 last week. Doubt if they will be reduced again before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭BONDIred

Hi,

Can you get the videos to work with a Smart DNs or by singing up to Amazon Prime Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭beecee

Sorry to rehash this, but just looking for up-to-date info. About to order one for my 8 year old and want to avoid disappointment (especially as I talked her out of getting a vtech phone to get this instead).

1. Is it worth creating a new amazon account with a UK Parcel Motel address, just so that it doesn't cause hassle with my own account?

2. Is there anywhere where I can see what books will be available to her with the Kids Unlimited?

3. Finally is there a decent messaging app available in the Kids App store?

• Advertisement

beecee wrote: »
    Sorry to rehash this, but just looking for up-to-date info. About to order one for my 8 year old and want to avoid disappointment (especially as I talked her out of getting a vtech phone to get this instead).

1. Is it worth creating a new amazon account with a UK Parcel Motel address, just so that it doesn't cause hassle with my own account?

2. Is there anywhere where I can see what books will be available to her with the Kids Unlimited?

3. Finally is there a decent messaging app available in the Kids App store?

Honestly I think this might be too kiddish for an 8 year old. My 7 year old (8 in Feb) still plays with hers but she’s getting to the stage of wanting a proper tablet. Apparently the 7” Fire tablets are dropping to £29 tonight so that might be a better option. Or hold out and hope the 8” drops in price as it has a much better screen. The 10” I think has dropped in price in the states to $99 which has the best screen of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

SachaJ wrote: »
    Honestly I think this might be too kiddish for an 8 year old. My 7 year old (8 in Feb) still plays with hers but she’s getting to the stage of wanting a proper tablet. Apparently the 7” Fire tablets are dropping to £29 tonight so that might be a better option. Or hold out and hope the 8” drops in price as it has a much better screen. The 10” I think has dropped in price in the states to $99 which has the best screen of all.

Where did you hear this?

Interesting. She's still quite innocent, and she has younger siblings to pass it on to if she does move on, so I'm not too worried about that. I just want something that she can call her own that I don't have to supervise all the time. Also the books part would be a large part of it if the selection is any good.

campo wrote: »
    Where did you hear this?

It’s on HotUKDeals and TechRadar.

Interesting. She's still quite innocent, and she has younger siblings to pass it on to if she does move on, so I'm not too worried about that. I just want something that she can call her own that I don't have to supervise all the time. Also the books part would be a large part of it if the selection is any good.

Fair enough. I can’t answer all your questions

I think all the books are included and work but the videos do not

I have an extra shipping address on my amazon account for Parcel Motel. It’s works fine.

I don’t know about messaging apps to be honest. Skype might work but obviously monitor it as a parent.

Fair enough. I can’t answer all your questions

I think all the books are included and work but the videos do not

I have an extra shipping address on my amazon account for Parcel Motel. It’s works fine.

I don’t know about messaging apps to be honest. Skype might work but obviously monitor it as a parent.

Cool. Thanks a million for that. I have a Parcel Motel address, so I guess I'll just use my normal account if Kid Unlimited will work if I ship to that address (as I'll have to anyway).

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

I bought 2 of the fire HD 8 kids with one yr free subscription to kids unlimited but it doesn't seem to be working properly. When in the kids profile the apps/books/characters only show ones I've downloaded in the main profile and shared to kids profile, doesn't make any suggestions like I see its meant to. Is this due to it not being officially supported in Ireland?

Never mind, sorted now

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gavjd

Picked one up in the black friday promotion.

I think I have the same/similar issue. When I log in using the kids profile from the home screen, I can see all the kids content, but I don't want them having access to everything. When I go into "kindle for kids" app from my own profile I can log on as a child, but nothing appears when I go to add content (apps and books) apart from books I've purchased in my own amazon account. Do I need to delete the kid profiles and try again?

Yeah, I turned mine on last night. When I went to activate the free year it said I couldn't (and to contact customer service if I thought this was incorrect) and then it just brought me to the next screen.

I didn't go any further. It's connected to my own amazon account which has Parcelmotel as the default address. Is there something else I need to change on my account?

• Advertisement

I think you need to make sure your Amazon kindle store account is set to UK not us. Also that your address is set to a UK address, after that is done leave it an hour and try again. You may need to restore the tablet to factory defaults which is easy, only takes a few minutes for the tablet to reset

Cool I'll try that. Think my Kindle store is probably US alright!
    coco0981 wrote: »
    I think you need to make sure your Amazon kindle store account is set to UK not us. Also that your address is set to a UK address, after that is done leave it an hour and try again. You may need to restore the tablet to factory defaults which is easy, only takes a few minutes for the tablet to reset

bertie4evr wrote: »
    So I've figured out how to get 3rd Party apps onto a Kids profile.

The first thing you need to do is get Google Play set up on the parents profile. You can see how to do this here (It's a long article but it's simple enough to do).

Then download GoToApp from the Amazon AppStore and share it with the Kid profile.

Once that's done, login as a child and open GoToApp. Tap Google Play and sign in. Now you have access to all the Google Play apps (Youtube Kids!). Install them and use GoToApp to open them.

A final, optional step, is to clean up GoToApp to make it easier for a child to use. Go to the folder part of GoToApp's settings. Once you're there select all the folders and delete them. Create a new folder with all the apps you want available and you're done.

Did this work for everyone? Have play store sorted, and have YouTube kids downloaded on adult profile. I got the gotoapp installed but when I open it in kids profile the play store doesn't show up so I can't access YouTube kids?

Did this work for everyone? Have play store sorted, and have YouTube kids downloaded on adult profile. I got the gotoapp installed but when I open it in kids profile the play store doesn't show up so I can't access YouTube kids?

I didn't try that. Your tip on kindle account worked though, so thanks a million for that.

I saw some people talking about removing videos from the kids profile so they wouldn't be disappointed. How do you do that? Ideally I guess I'd like the menu item not to appear at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gavjd

Just posting details for anyone else trying to set one up - I changed the location to UK in My account->content and devices->settings on amazon.co.uk, as well as the default delivery location. I also set it up so that there was only one child account - not sure if this helped or if it was just a matter of waiting a day. Now, no matter whether I access the child profile from the lock screen or from the kindle for kids app button, it ends up in the same place.

I couldn't find a way to remove all the content and just add the things I wanted, but it is possible (albeit very laborious) to go in and remove content (I think the menu option is something like restrict content on the profile editing screen). It also just shows the icon and not the name of the app so I had to go forward and back a bit to be sure of which apps to delete (I wanted to get rid of makeup apps etc., girls get enough garbage thrown at them about their appearance without encouraging it). I might go back and remove the videos to avoid confusion/disappointment as mentioned above.

I didn't try that. Your tip on kindle account worked though, so thanks a million for that.

I saw some people talking about removing videos from the kids profile so they wouldn't be disappointed. How do you do that? Ideally I guess I'd like the menu item not to appear at all.

Its in settings, there is an option to manage content for the kids profile. There you can remove the videos, has to be done individually video by video

Its in settings, there is an option to manage content for the kids profile. There you can remove the videos, has to be done individually video by video

Yeah, had seen that. Decided to set the daily limit to zero minutes for videos. That'll have to do I guess.

Yeah, had seen that. Decided to set the daily limit to zero minutes for videos. That'll have to do I guess.

ya but if you remove then the kids won't see the videos so no hassle of them trying to play videos that won't work

ya but if you remove then the kids won't see the videos so no hassle of them trying to play videos that won't work

Are there not hundreds of videos? Not sure I've the patience to remove individually, but I'll have a look.

• Advertisement

Are there not hundreds of videos? Not sure I've the patience to remove individually, but I'll have a look.

It isn't that bad, takes 5 minutes

Advertisement