Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kindle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭friendlylady

All in .... my import from the US cost me €108.15 delivered to me door.

And I saved €0.85 on the PC World price!
    Congrats on the savings Paddy:D Just think that if anything goes wrong (and hopefully it doesn't) that PC World would be a better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

All in .... my import from the US cost me €108.15 delivered to me door.

And I saved €0.85 on the PC World price!

Ah! I thought you bought it direct from Amazon, and didn't go through a shipping company! Awesome! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

Congrats on the savings Paddy:D Just think that if anything goes wrong (and hopefully it doesn't) that PC World would be a better option.

I asked on the PC World thread about the availability of the new kindles .... the deafening reply was enough for me so I ordered it direct from Amazon instead.

If it gives trouble I'll take my chances with Amazon.

I'd happily have bought from PC World but when info wasn't forthcoming that was enough for me.

As an aside .... I'm delighted with my purchase. The best features are its compact size and the fact that it remembers the page I'm on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

I'm not sure what you mean about the deafening reply but I was in PC World yesterday. The Kindle 4 as well as the Kindle Keyboard as for sale in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

I asked online (on the PC World thread) ... but no reply from them.

If I had received a reply confirming that they had them in stock I would have bought one from them.

When they didn't I did the next best thing ... I took out the CC and ordered it direct from Amazon. I had it within 3 days ...

Regardless .... I have one now and am well pleased with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

I asked online (on the PC World thread) ... but no reply from them.

If I had received a reply confirming that they had them in stock I would have bought one from them.

When they didn't I did the next best thing ... I took out the CC and ordered it direct from Amazon. I had it within 3 days ...

Regardless .... I have one now and am well pleased with it.

Where does that leave you in terms of buying books? If you buy the kindle from amazon us, does it mean that you only get US books?
    What's the difference if you buy it from PC world in terms of the books you can buy?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 maggiewhite

I bought my kindle from the u.s. and you can buy any book you want, from anywhere,you are not limited to the country you bought the kindle from. When you buy from pc world or from any store the kindle will have to be registered on amazon. If you live in ireland it will be amazon .com.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nice post, was thinking of the new touch, how would that be placed in your opinion? Dont think its out here til the new year? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

The Kindle Touch and Touch 3G aren't out in the US until end of November
    The New Basic Kindle (Wifi Only Non-Touch) is now available in PC World/Currys and on Amazon.

Regarding the Kindle Touch 3G

On the plus side however it will have audio support (like the Kindle Keyboard). Its also smaller in size. What will be interesting will be whether the Kindle Touch 3G gives the available functionality (i.e. free browsing) as the current Kindle Keyboard 3G.

Have to say I think the Kindle Keyboard still offers better value over the kindle touch. That's only my opinion though.
    If it were a phone or a tablet the touch screen would be of use - however for reading (which is the whole point of an e-reader) - whether you are touching the screen - or pressing a button to turn a page - seems a bit irrelevant - i.e. for the vast majority of time you are performing a linear task :-)

Anyways I'm really happy with my Kindle Keyboard - so maybe I'm a bit biased :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

thanks good post and gives me something to think about! I just really dont like the look of the keyboard and the one without it that isnt touch screen would drive me bananas trying to type. I suppose you wouldnt need to type too much, as it is for reading after all. The abttery is probably much worse on the touch.

• Advertisement

thanks good post and gives me something to think about! I just really dont like the look of the keyboard and the one without it that isnt touch screen would drive me bananas trying to type. I suppose you wouldnt need to type too much, as it is for reading after all. The abttery is probably much worse on the touch.

Yeah - its amazing how used to touch screens you can get - couple of times early on I caught myself touching the screen :-)

One thing I'd be interested to know - is on the touch - is there a button to move to the next page (as opposed to touching the screen).
    In terms of comfort - I would have thought that it would be useful.
    It takes about 30-40 pages of your first book before you forget about the lack of touch screen (if you have previously read on say kindle on the iphone) - however after that I found it no loss. I have my hand on the next page button as I'm reading - so I simply press when I want to move onto the next page.

What I would suggest - is going into PC world and asking to see both side by side. The Kindle touch looks prettier I've no doubt - however if you were to read a couple of pages with both it would tell you a lot.

In my earlier post as I said - if the touch had 4GB of on board memory and audio I would probably have gone with that (even if the battery life was less) - however I can't help feeling that its a bit of a con - newer versions shouldn't lose so much functionality as is the case here.
    In my opinion the lowest priced Kindle should have

a) 4GB on board memory (the cloud is fine I guess if all you are reading is amazon books - however if you have other ebooks you want to put on via Calibre then I imagine you run out)

b) Audio

Anyways hopefully this helps

I have been checking out the E readers for the last few months and am definitely going to buy one, but probably January(after the kids pressies are bought for Christmas). I think the Kindle sounds like the best e reader but I am worried about the selection of books I have. For instance I can't borrow ebooks from the library on a kindle, I don't think so anyway and with a Sony I can buy them anywhere. Can any of you give me some advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭pavb2

Is the Kindle touch available and if not when willit be released on Amazon/P.C. World

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Good post but there's some confusion here between the Kindle Touch and the basic Kindle. The models are

Kindle
    Kindle Touch*
    Kindle Touch +3G*
    Kindle Keyboard
    Kindle Keyboard 3G
    Kindle Fire*
    Kindle DX

*Amazon haven't indicated when these devices will be released outside the US.

See my screenshot for more info.

Personally I'm torn between the slighter quicker page turn on the basic Kindle and the additional features on the Keyboard. If the Touch was out now I'd get that one but we could be waiting a few months.

silvine wrote: »
    Good post but there's some confusion here between the Kindle Touch and the basic Kindle. The models are

Kindle
    Kindle Touch*
    Kindle Touch +3G*
    Kindle Keyboard
    Kindle Keyboard 3G
    Kindle Fire*
    Kindle DX

*Amazon haven't indicated when these devices will be released outside the US.

See my screenshot for more info.

Personally I'm torn between the slighter quicker page turn on the basic Kindle and the additional features on the Keyboard. If the Touch was out now I'd get that one but we could be waiting a few months.

I missed that completely - thanks for pointing it out ! - I thought that the new basic kindle was touch screen
    So the first touch screen one isn't out until end of November then - wifi and wifi/3G ?! Maybe should edit my first post - just to spell it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

No regrets on buying the Kindle keyboard over the newer model then? I had it in my hands on Sat but the only reason I didn't buy it was because it was the more expensive 3G model.

I take the Kindle Keyboard syncs nicely with the iPhone app i.e you can continue reading where you left off?

silvine wrote: »
    No regrets on buying the Kindle keyboard over the newer model then? I had it in my hands on Sat but the only reason I didn't buy it was because it was the more expensive 3G model.

I take the Kindle Keyboard syncs nicely with the iPhone app i.e you can continue reading where you left off?
    Yes it syncs fine with amazon purchased books
    Only unfortunate thing is non amazon mobis don't sync - but that is to be expected I guess
    Absolutely no regrets on buying the keyboard model - the only thing that might have tempted me to hold on would have been a colour e-ink model ! - I guess that's a year or more away

I missed that completely - thanks for pointing it out ! - I thought that the new basic kindle was touch screen
    So the first touch screen one isn't out until end of November then - wifi and wifi/3G ?! Maybe should edit my first post - just to spell it out

So this new touch appears to be 4gig I think. Might be the best bet.
    You would prefer the keyboard kindle over the basic one?

So this new touch appears to be 4gig I think. Might be the best bet.
    You would prefer the keyboard kindle over the basic one?
    Well everyone's different - I starting discounting the basic one once I saw it only has 2gb and no audio - and I choose the keyboard one even though I thought the basic one had a touch screen -! it all comes down to what you want and when you want it - with all technology there's always a latest and greatest and also something nice around the corner :-)
    I wanted a kindle before Christmas - and based on the prices and what was/is available I took the plunge - one thing I was concerned about though was in boards and in the second hand selling sites people are paying mad money - based on an assumption that you can't just go into a shop and buy one in Ireland - which is not the case at all - I figure that the new 3G touch will be better than the old keyboard model - but not that much better that it's worth waiting for - and definitely not worth twice the price.
    I guess it's horses for courses though - best of luck with your decision ! Either way it's better than reading on a screen with glare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Readability is nice - didn't realise you could add it on the kindle.

One other bit of info that people might find handy - I use the following

http://ebooks.addall.com/amazonfree.html

it does a meta search and throws up lots of books that are free in the amazon store - a lot of it is crap - however you get some good ones as well - sometimes even famous authors reduce their ebook prices to zero for a little while

How do you use that site? All the books I've looked at on it say I'm in the wrong country to download them - looks like you need to be in the US, not Ireland!
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Speedsie wrote: »
    How do you use that site? All the books I've looked at on it say I'm in the wrong country to download them - looks like you need to be in the US, not Ireland!

Don't know if it matters, but when you buy the Kindle online, it comes from the US, well mine did anyway and all those books download fine to my Kindle, not that I want them. :D

I'm very happy with my Kindle keyboard 3g, IMHO the Kindle is absolutely brilliant for reading books and it's pretty useless for anything else. I don't see any benefit from a touch screen, although I admit, I had to fight myself to keep my grubby paws away from the screen the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

There are a few good ones - bit of a needle in a haystack thing to find them though!!

Thing is, I was given a Kindle that was bought in a bricks & mortar store in Dublin - so I guess it knows its Irish!!!!

I suppose I can live without!

Thanks very much for your post Richard it was very informative, I need some advice on buying an ereader. Like you I have read loads on the internet and the Kindle really does seem to be the best option at the moment but my dilemma is that I don't always have money to buy books on the internet and quite like borrowing from the library, as far as I know I can't borrow e books on the kindle, am I right?

Also I like reading in bed at night, is it comfortable to read at night with a low light? Or should I just go for the Sony E reader (currently 179e in Argos)? Though I believe the battery in these is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Thanks very much for your post Richard it was very informative, I need some advice on buying an ereader. Like you I have read loads on the internet and the Kindle really does seem to be the best option at the moment but my dilemma is that I don't always have money to buy books on the internet and quite like borrowing from the library, as far as I know I can't borrow e books on the kindle, am I right?

Also I like reading in bed at night, is it comfortable to read at night with a low light? Or should I just go for the Sony E reader (currently 179e in Argos)? Though I believe the battery in these is crap.

Books are like music m8, can be got from various sources enuff said.

Re. reading at night, its fine on a low light, if it's good enough to read a normal paper book it's good enough for the Kindle.
    You could also attach one of those led "book lights" or buy the lighted cover (not cheap)

The cover with the book light (official one from amazon) is well worth the money - its probably the most comfortable reading experience I've had for late night reading
    Reading under low light without the cover is grand (as good as reading any real book) - however I would really recommend spending the extra money on the cover.
    On books and prices - there's enough free books out there - that it shouldnt cost you anything if you are prepared to read new authors or classics.
    There are of course illegal ways of getting best sellers as well in the same way as people can put torrent ed or borrowed music on an iPhone - however I wouldn't condone it.
    Regarding borrowing ebooks from libraries - specifically kindle friendly ones - you should talk to your local library
    I don't know the details however from what I gather that's going to be an option for kindles (at least in the us) soon

Speedsie wrote: »

I've being using that search for the last 8 months or so and I very rarely do I get a location/not available on a book.
    I do have an amazon.com account set up already - and have ordered stuff in the past - so don't know if that makes a difference.

One other tip that people might find useful - once I find a free one (in the haystack ! ) that I like and download - I then page down to "customers who bought this bought" - usually you can get one or two more cheap/free ones from that listing as well that are someway good.

Books are like music m8, can be got from various sources enuff said.

Re. reading at night, its fine on a low light, if it's good enough to read a normal paper book it's good enough for the Kindle.
    You could also attach one of those led "book lights" or buy the lighted cover (not cheap)
    Thanks lads, you made my mind up, Kindle it is so, though think I'll wait til January sales, might pick myself up a bargain. Not bothered at all with the touch, buttons will suit me fine.

Thanks lads, you made my mind up, Kindle it is so, though think I'll wait til January sales, might pick myself up a bargain. Not bothered at all with the touch, buttons will suit me fine.

Have to say I don't think that the kindle prices will come down much more - especially not in January.

The only possibility maybe on black friday (Nov 25th) - might be worth checking then on Amazon.com - and if you have someone/someway of ordering and shipping over a domestic US kindle you might pick up a bargain.
    They might do something then as they seem to be on a marketing drive with Kindles.

I reckon theres a window of opportunity at the moment - before people realise that the nice new kindles aren't much better than the keyboard ones - and the small reduction (at the moment) is probably as good as it gets.

That's just my take on it

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

My hubbie bought the latest SONY eReader (6" in size with touch screen) from Sony Store, PRS-T1 - it was only released in the last week or two (I think), anyway, it retails in Sony Store Jervis St for €150, or €170 in Blanchardstown (don't know why the price diff!). Anyway, I think it has a better battery than the older reader that is for sale in Argos PLUS AFAIK you can borrow books from some libraries in Dublin (Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Libraries, South Dublin County Libraries), Kildare & Waterford.

Here is the eReader I'm talking about:
    http://www.sony.ie/product/rd-reader-ebook?wep_landing

Here are the libraries that you can 'borrow' from:
    http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/community/en/community/reading/free_ebooks
    Hubbies reckons you can borrow from Waterford - but it's not listed on this site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

It's all well and good buying a Kindle. A nice gadget. But be aware of the control it will have over your reading !

You have to buy at their prices, instead of having access to the fantastic range of indie book sellers across the web and self pub'ed titles too. If you decide later to change device you can't. You are controlled by their security software. There is the wireless delivery fee. And Amazon have complete access to your library, to remove titles if they chose or not. You pay almost as much for an eBook as a paper book. But you can't read it on other devices, lend it, keep it safe for ten years. You buy at full price but they only agree to 'lend' the eBook to you.

A tablet or smart phone is the only way to get value and a choice of where to buy at good prices. And learning to make backups on your PC, and remove DRM is the only way to keep your titles safe and available later if you change devices.

I use an iPhone and intent to use a tablet soon. I like the Kindles and would like to have one. But I am not going to hand control over my purchases to Amazon.

Advertisement