Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sports Data Site on Wix

• 16-09-2019 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Opinions very much welcome - I have a URL registered but haven't linked the Wix site to it yet.

The business is Sports Data providers whose client base is large level media companies/betting companies (Google, Amazon, Draft Kings, FanDuel etc)

I started doing the site on Wix for convenience (having used Wordpress in the past) and I kinda like it.

I reached a certain stage and then really started messing the pages up. I'm actually relatively happy with the homepage and it explains what's needed when I'm putting myself in client's shoes. However the extra webpages on it I started arseing about with and now even have a hideous font background colour.

Any ideas on how I can improve them?

Also - I still have a basic logo from one of those free logo maker sites - Eventually I'm hoping to get someone to do a logo package for me.

You can give me as harsh criticism as needed!

Thank you!

https://davidjkennedy92.wixsite.com/website

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Going to be honest with you and say the site right now looks very amateur and DIY at the minute, having Wix plastered all over isn't a good look and doesn't look professional.

The navigation menu is too small and hard to read the logo looks like it's just stuck in there at the top.

The image slider is blurry, moves too fast and doesn't really convey some useful information or correlation with the product.

Delivery methods - blue text on top of the images is very hard to read, doesn't look good either.

Assume the one below it is a recent Instagram post, looks bad just sitting there on its own so at the very least go post a few posts up to fill out the space and so it looks right. I wouldnt really expect a professional sports data company to be sharing their instagram feed on the homepage of their website though. That suits more to food and fashion type websites, have one by all means but if you are going for a professional corporate look then its not really a fit and shouldnt be on your homepage like that imo.

The inner pages need work - the background image with the text and the blue background really doesnt work.

Using a tool like Wix is fine for throwing something together but you really still need to have an eye for design or what looks right and this is where people struggle the most with these DIY builders. I think at the minute the design and layout are what is letting you down the most and with a better structure you could convey the information better. I would take a look at some of the professional off the shelf themes in WordPress and install one of those where you then really only have to fill in the text and swap the images but would have a much better-looking professional website. There are a load of them on sites like themeforest, I would at least look there for some ideas and try recreate it in Wix if you really wanted to stay with it but I find its a very limited platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Thanks for the feedback - Will have a good look through it tomorrow.

It will have Wix plastered all over it until I actually publish the site properly and link it to my own URL - haven’t bothered with it yet just in case.

That’s correct on the Instagram feed - I just had one placeholder picture on the account. When I do a proper Instagram then I do want it incorporated to have some cool insights on my web homepage.

The site is literally just a start - didn’t want to go any further on it before really messing it up.

I will look at Wordpress again but I did it in the past and had half forgotten how to do everything on it!

Actually - just wondering. Is Xampp and all that still needed for Wordpress?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If you want to build locally then yes but if you already have a domain then just add hosting and build it on the server instead if thats the route you are going with, if you wanted to play around locally then Xampp or look at Local by Flywheel

Thanks man

Will have a good look at Wordpress again now. Thanks for the time you put into your responses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement