Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Isambard wrote: »
    i didn't say that...I was referring to all single lines.
    Indeed. Would be a worthwhile investment. Trains regularly held at Rathmore between Killarney and Mallow for opposite direction train to come. One was 15 minutes late last week, and had the associated lengthy LC closure at Rathmore station.

i didn't say that...I was referring to all single lines.

A good portion of Galway to Dublin is single track

A good portion of Galway to Dublin is single track
    Probably not an issue between Athlone and Galway, but can cause congestion between Athlone and Portarlington.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Probably not an issue between Athlone and Galway, but can cause congestion between Athlone and Portarlington.

Which could be solved by reopening the Athlone/Mullingar route.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Del.Monte wrote: »
    That would just add to congestion from Maynooth inwards and also in the city centre.

Double tracking Portarlington-Athlone makes more sense.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Yes, along with the reinstatement of Broadstone station, and the Dublin - Mullingar line would probably need some improvement to allow additional capacity for local commuter traffic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

athlone mullingar already has the formation for a double track. does CIE own enough land along the athlone portarlington line to allow double tracking without cpo?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

athlone mullingar already has the formation for a double track. does CIE own enough land along the athlone portarlington line to allow double tracking without cpo?
    Yes, the footprint was originally bought with the possibility of double tracking in the future, it is normal practice to set aside enough land for a second track if needed and all bridges can take a second track as well, some overbridges will need a second deck for the track but the supports are already built.
    Look at any aerial photos of the line and you'll clearly see that the fence is twice as far from the track on one side than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭serfboard

marno21 wrote: »
    Double tracking Portarlington-Athlone makes more sense.
    Double tracking Portarlington-Athlone is such a no-brainer that you'd wonder why it wasn't done years ago.

But no, we had to spend over 100 million re-opening the line between Ennis and Athenry instead.

Trust me it's an issue. I've been stuck on many trains at a passing loop well after Athlone

• Advertisement

Trust me it's an issue. I've been stuck on many trains at a passing loop well after Athlone
    So have I, usually near Clara, so yes it is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Wouldn't a Cork Luas not be a better use of taxpayer money in terms of improving PT in the west than building more WRC?

I know Galways populations smaller than Tallaght so they are not ready for one but Cork could get one line going surely?

As I always say, as part of a proper regional development strategy.

If you exclude Cross City (which is a total and utter farce, in every way, and should have been done underground from the get go) the Luas was a godsend to Dublin and nobody can imagine being without it. It would do wonders for Cork I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Wouldn't a Cork Luas not be a better use of taxpayer money in terms of improving PT in the west than building more WRC?

I know Galways populations smaller than Tallaght so they are not ready for one but Cork could get one line going surely?

As I always say, as part of a proper regional development strategy.

If you exclude Cross City (which is a total and utter farce, in every way, and should have been done underground from the get go) the Luas was a godsend to Dublin and nobody can imagine being without it. It would do wonders for Cork I think.

Arguably Galway has the worst traffic in Ireland and could benefit most from a Luas between lets say Barna/Moycullen and Oranmore via Ballybrit industrial estate. At present the traffic and delays is stifling growth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

It prevents a commuter service running between Galway and Athlone - more so between lets say Ballinasloe and Galway - lots of people could use athenry via oranmore to Galway if it was more regular - a DART type service

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

JJJackal wrote: »
    It prevents a commuter service running between Galway and Athlone - more so between lets say Ballinasloe and Galway - lots of people could use athenry via oranmore to Galway if it was more regular - a DART type service

lots of people but nowhere near enough to make it stand up on cost/benefit basis. Many higher priorities

NTA have ruled out light rail for Galway. Bus improvements are proposed instead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

marno21 wrote: »
    NTA have ruled out light rail for Galway. Bus improvements are proposed instead

True dont have "density" along the corridor within the City for a GLUAS tram - if that cannot be justifed then how can WRC North of Athenry?
    100 million on Bus Infrastructure in the City would build a lot of KM of bus lanes and bus priority infrastructure in City and on approach to the City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

True dont have "density" along the corridor within the City for a GLUAS tram - if that cannot be justifed then how can WRC North of Athenry?
    100 million on Bus Infrastructure in the City would build a lot of KM of bus lanes and bus priority infrastructure in City and on approach to the City.

And more demand for more roads. Roads and low density planning are a black hole of sprawl that can never meet demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

And more demand for more roads. Roads and low density planning are a black hole of sprawl that can never meet demand.
    Does the type of road not matter? Am not talking about building more roads for cars.

lots of people but nowhere near enough to make it stand up on cost/benefit basis. Many higher priorities

the severe and getting worse traffic congestion would be enough alone to make it stand up on cost/benefit basis.
    it would be cheaper to implement then more road expansion.
    so no doubt more road expansion is what galway will get.

it still won't remove the need for a light rail system, and improvements to the heavy rail, however.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That EY "survey" has leading questions that any legitimate market research company would refuse to ask. Would be quite funny if it still gets a negative response despite trying to force you to be positive.

the severe and getting worse traffic congestion would be enough alone to make it stand up on cost/benefit basis.
    it would be cheaper to implement then more road expansion.
    so no doubt more road expansion is what galway will get.

it still won't remove the need for a light rail system, and improvements to the heavy rail, however.

well that's the position of rail enthusiasts, who may promote rail for it's own self, but the most outmoded part of a rail line is the actual rail itself, the main purpose of which is mostly to guide the vehicle, a function which technology can do away with. Which leaves the big advantage that rail has which is a reserved corridor. The Permanent Way is extremely expensive, particularly when only a handful of trains a day run in each direction, a modern solution to this would make it cheaper than both Rail and Road.

the severe and getting worse traffic congestion would be enough alone to make it stand up on cost/benefit basis .

Not by a long shot

well that's the position of rail enthusiasts, who may promote rail for it's own self, but the most outmoded part of a rail line is the actual rail itself, the main purpose of which is mostly to guide the vehicle, a function which technology can do away with. Which leaves the big advantage that rail has which is a reserved corridor. The Permanent Way is extremely expensive, particularly when only a handful of trains a day run in each direction, a modern solution to this would make it cheaper than both Rail and Road.

the advantage of rail is the large amounts of capacity it can provide over any other form of transport for a reasonable over all cost. when we hear of road expansions, the costs are generally in the billions. when we hear of rail costs, it's generally in the millions.
    technology won't do away with guided rail. guided rail will always be the best way of moving large vehicles such as trams and trains around because it just works.
    a proper galway suburban on the heavy rail system won't be a few trains a day but will be something similar to the cork suburban if there is any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Not by a long shot

It would be interesting if the full cost of the M17 was charged out on a per use basis. So, let’s say the whole cost including land purchase, materials, construction costs and maintainence was amortised over a twenty year period. The annual cost would then be charged on a per use basis. The lesser the use, the higher the charge to the individual trucker or motorist.

So, on that basis it would be highly likely that the M17 could be turned over for cycling, because there would be a strong disincentive for use by road traffic, given the empty pictures on the Roads thread.

I am of course making a Swiftian Modest Proposal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

It would be interesting if the full cost of the M17 was charged out on a per use basis. So, let’s say the whole cost including land purchase, materials, construction costs and maintainence was amortised over a twenty year period. .

Personally I would have no problem with a toll on the M17 to pay for it. In fact every new road, if they had toll buckets with an electronic counter above the toll booth saying so much had to be paid for and then it was free to use. I think this model was put in somewhere around the world, it means less resentment to tolls as long as there is a free route people can use if they want to.
    Take a route like the N4. if they had put tolls on the Roosky bypass say a fiver, would I use it with this model - yes of course I would.

i think that the fairest way would be to have a Leap card type system at every junction,on every motorway. so you tag on and off every time you use a motorway and pay per junction or km. Not only fairer but the amount of the toll could be reduced because everyone would be paying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

i think that the fairest way would be to have a Leap card type system at every junction,on every motorway. so you tag on and off every time you use a motorway and pay per junction or km. Not only fairer but the amount of the toll could be reduced because everyone would be paying.

Or alternatively do as the Swiss do for their motorways.

You buy a CHF50 sticker for your car and it lasts from Nov to Feb the year after - so Nov 2018 to Feb 2020. If you do not pay, then horrible fines are imposed. It works for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

L1011 wrote: »
    That EY "survey" has leading questions that any legitimate market research company would refuse to ask. Would be quite funny if it still gets a negative response despite trying to force you to be positive.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the EY survey, they are well aware of public opinion, they have a reputation to keep, and will I am sure will stick to factual analysis. I am pretty sure they won't be giving any green lights to the railway, in fact the biggest problem will be the political fudge the likes of Canney try to put on it once it goes to the department, saying the route must stay available at all costs and to the exclusiion of anything useful in the interim, this is what we have to watch out for an make sure we see the first draft submitted to Irish Rail and the Department before the likes of Canney get hold of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

It would be interesting if the full cost of the M17 was charged out on a per use basis. So, let’s say the whole cost including land purchase, materials, construction costs and maintainence was amortised over a twenty year period. The annual cost would then be charged on a per use basis. The lesser the use, the higher the charge to the individual trucker or motorist.

So, on that basis it would be highly likely that the M17 could be turned over for cycling, because there would be a strong disincentive for use by road traffic, given the empty pictures on the Roads thread.

I am of course making a Swiftian Modest Proposal here.

The M17/18 underwent a full cost benefit analysis before getting the green light. Ironically because it’s a PPP the government are doing exactly what you say and paying for this over a 30 year period.
    Charging more if less people use is senseless economics 101.

A photo a given time does not offer a true reflection of the road as a whole.

Might I also add that a significant cost of the scheme as the provision of a rail bridge over the WRC at Tuam. The WRC also increased the cost of N63 upgrade.

I’m not against the WRC, but I don’t think it’s justifiable at present. North of Tuam and in particular north of Claremorris was never designed as a main rail line and instead to serve local traffic. Upgrading it to current standards would be very expensive.

Advertisement