Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

It is awful - the line is 9th up from the bottom. It really is too unclear to even hazard a guess.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Could it be John? The first letter looks like it has a loop at the top.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I would suggest John as well - if you look at the John two lines above, there are similarities in the way J & H are written.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Thanks for attempting this one.

I see a high loop after the the first letter so to me it looks like El. I'm hoping it is Eliza.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

montgo wrote: »
    Thanks for attempting this one.

I see a high loop after the the first letter so to me it looks like El. I'm hoping it is Eliza.:)
    I think that you are right: no doubt about the initial "E"; no doubt about the size of the word; lots of doubt about what follows the initial letter - but I more easily see a terminal "a" rather than "n".

Both "Ellen" and "Eliza" can be found on the page for comparison, and the handwriting, while difficult, is very consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Dreadful image all right. I tried to compare it with the rest of the handwriting by the same writer. The inverse image makes me think it may start with 'L'. If you see the name directly under 'Eliza', looks like 'Looby', the 'L' of Looby looks similar to the first letter of the obliterated name. Any chance it could be Lisa? Might not be a name in use at that time though. You would need X-ray vision for this one! And a crystal ball!

Many thanks for all those who had a look. I agree the quality of the image was very poor. Hopefully, some day, I might be able to view the original parish register and it might be easier to decipher:)

Lisa actually crossed my mind as well but I dismissed it as too modern a name.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

As a name on its own its fairly recent but it was used as one of the many short version of Elizabeth in the distant past.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Thanks to Kildare Fan for the reply to my query about a month ago. The site's tech problems prevented me from getting to it for quite awhile. I appreciate the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

montgo wrote: »
    Hi, can someone have a look at this baptism record on this link close to bottom of page, left hand side on 21 Nov 1834. I'm not convinced of baby's name, it has been transcribed as Ellen by everyone who has seen it:)

21 E??? of Michael Blackburn, etc

It is unfortunate that the particular Christian name you are interested in is so obscure. As you say, an in-person visit to view the original registeris probably the way to go.

In terms of hard-to-read though, can I point to examples such as:
    Wexford, 1672 http://registers.nli.ie/pages/vtls000634134_003
    - Ireland's oldest Catholic diocesan register, which really needs to be specially filmed
    Kilmore, 1765 http://registers.nli.ie/pages/vtls000634076_027
    Castlebridge, 1837 http://registers.nli.ie/pages/vtls000634039_023

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

Hi,

Would anyone be able to make out the mortuary entry dated 8th July 1858 at this link: http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634151#page/109/mode/1up C,agh (abbreviation of the townland) ? of Mrs. Thos. Mulloy Thos.

Also, at the bottom of the page, some entries have "settled" written next to them, does anyone know what it means specifically?

Thanks in advance. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I can only make out as much as you have yourself Alan.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

Alan259 wrote: »
    Hi,

Also, at the bottom of the page, some entries have "settled" written next to them, does anyone know what it means specifically?

Settled means the account was paid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Remembrance of Mrs. Thomas Mulloy.
    If you go to the very top of the Mortuary entries you can see what they are abbreviating.

spurious wrote: »
    If you go to the very top of the Mortuary entries you can see what they are abbreviating.

What is a Mortuary entry as opposed to a parish death record?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

Settled means the account was paid.
    spurious wrote: »

Thanks Chieftain and Spurious. :)
    Hermy wrote: »
    What is a Mortuary entry as opposed to a parish death record?

The only reason I called it a mortuary entry was because that's the name the Parish Registers Website calls them. I suppose it was because some priests recorded deaths while other priests recorded burials and to avoid confusion the designers of the Parish Registers Website just called them mortuaries. And thanks for attempting to read the entry as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 P38Man

Would appreciate some help please:
    I'm looking at a marriage record (of James Lynch to Elizabeth Wallace) from 1820 and trying to figure out a few things:

1. if the last couple of names are the fathers of the happy couple or just witnesses?
    2. If the words marked with question marks are occupations?

The text looks like:

In Mis. Canonise Conjuncti sunt a Revd. D O'Kennedy Jacobus Lynch et Elizabethae Wallace Cerion(?) Jacob Lynch Patritis Wallace orara(?) aliis(?)

See attachment for photo of the text in question.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

most likely names of witnesses. Occupations are rarely mentioned in Catholic registers

It is always difficult to interpret from a couple of lines as the “norm” of the entries can often be inferred from earlier lines. In this case the usual format would suggest that Jacobo Lynch and Patritio Wallace are the respective fathers of the couple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kalimah

In many ways I'm delighted this is all online, but my God trying to decipher bastardized Latin is a trial. I've found my great great great grandfather's marriage in 1819 but of course it's only the two names and another bit I can't make out.
    And as for the deaths-it's more or less a shopping list.

Kalimah wrote: »
    In many ways I'm delighted this is all online, but my God trying to decipher bastardized Latin is a trial. I've found my great great great grandfather's marriage in 1819 but of course it's only the two names and another bit I can't make out.
    And as for the deaths-it's more or less a shopping list.

Sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorum.....:p
    Post a screen shot of it here and those on here will have a crack at deciphering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I will thanks! Actually I've been on the 1821 census for Cavan also- most of it survives- and have more or less pinned down my 3 times great grandfather to his birth in 1795 plus very possibly HIS father born about 1760. Don't think you could do much better in Ireland!

Hi,

I am trying to decipher the word following Wall - looks like Printers?
    Here is the link to Stephen's baptism on 15 Sept 1851, left hand side page.

Thanks.

I wish you hadn't said printers - that's all I can see now!!

But it's definitely a P at the start - compare to Patrick written elsewhere on the page. The last letter of the word might not be part of it. If you look at the ampersand (or at least what passes for one) down the page, I think it is & between the two parents names. This would leave P--t as the word?

Tangent: on the top right of the page, does it really say bastard and then incestuous?!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yikes, I hadn't looked on the following page.

Yes, I see what you mean and that the word is most likely P--t. Coincidentally, I think I posted this page before as I was also trying to make out the name of the sponsor for Francis Marnane on 13 October.

Just looking for an opinion on the note written after the last entry on the left page which seems to imply that Patrick Moore who was baptised Nov 18th 1860 may have later married Veronica Smith in Kilcloon parish in 1935. It doesn't match anything in the civil indexes and would mean he was very old when he married.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy - is that a baptism record we're looking at? It would make him very old indeed. Have you found him in the censuses?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yeah - it's a baptism.
    My hunch is that he married Anne Taaffe in 1894 (see 1911 Census) but I'll need a civil cert to confirm.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I'd try to trace this Veronica Smith as well and see what that throws up. There's always the possibility that the priest wrote it on the wrong entry.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement