Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Comsewogue

Hi @Hermy - thanks for the welcome. I've edited the post to include date and source (Boards is not yet letting me include links).

I think that's perfect, thanks for your help @Catsmeow!

I did some further research as confraternities are not something I had come across before. They are voluntary associations of laypeople aimed at promoting Christian charity and piety, with members committing to live by specific rules or by-laws but not religious vows. The Andrean Confraternity was attached to St. Andrew's Parish in Westland Row. It seems that in Ireland they had mostlyb declined by the 1950s and disappeared by the 60s/70s.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

You're right of course Comsewogue, new posters can't post links - apologies for that.

And thanks for editing your post.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Catsmeow

You're welcome, Comsewogue, glad to be of help. I've learned something about confraternities too.

Kind regards

Catsmeow

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭p15574

Would anyone have any idea where the mother of Bridget, Ellen Woods, was from in this birth cert? I've deciphered that the birth was in Garroose, Bruree in Limerick. Looks something like "Dorriesliopermoack"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Looks like “domestic servant” to me , maybe she was not married?

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Advertisement

As ‘formerly’ has been crossed out and no father is mentioned I’d agree that the mother isn’t married.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

Transcription:

Ignatius Moore et Emilia Patison SS Josepho Moore Patre et Matre Sponsor, Maria Patison

Translated as:

Ignatius Moore and Emilia Patison (Sponsors) Josepho Moore (husband) and wife sponsor, Maria Patison

The 2 people listed after the groom and bride are sponsors. Most likely his brother and her sister. Priests did not have great latin. I have seen the words Patre and Matre used in church records to mean husband and wife. There are no parents listed which wasn't unusual for that time.

Thanks Larkenn.

This was the only church record I had come across with that Patre et Matre wording in it.

A search of the parish records at Irish Genealogy throws up two other marriages with the same wording and both by the same priest - William Stafford in Rathmines - one on 31 Jul 1831 and another on 4 Jun 1834.

So it may be a quirk of this particular priest but not something he employs very often which begs the question why.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭p15574

Definitely looks unmarried, domestic servant makes sense, thanks. As it turns out it's the wrong person so doesn't matter in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

That's good because "Dorriesliopermoack" sounds like a much more exciting career :D

• Advertisement

Hi all, could anyone take a look at Bridget Fitzpatrick (sorry, I still can't post links).

I'm having trouble figuring out both her place of death (registration district is Dublin South) and the residence of the informant, her nephew John.

Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭stopthevoting

For her nephew, I think its "Caffreys Lane" or "Gaffneys Lane". (In front of that is "3 yrs" which is part of the previous column)

Or maybe it might be "Place" not "Lane"?

According to her death notice in the Evening Herald of May 25th 1931 she died at her niece's residence 3 Ewington Lane, James's Street, and was a sister of the late John Fitzpatrick of 37 James's Street.

Genealogy Forum Mod

That's definitely her then, thanks so much. I know her brother John of 37 James's Street (my 3rd great-grandfather) well. Now to find which of the many nieces she was with!

Two interesting things:

1. Her brother John was still getting a mention 25 years after his death in 1906. He was an early member of the IRB and was apparently well known/regarded, so perhaps it continued to be a thing even after that much time had passed.
    2. Her age recorded at death was 62, but I am certain she was 85. I've found no younger Bridget and besides, her parents would have been nearly 60. I know there's often discrepancies in reporting age, but it seems like a huge one. Perhaps she was misreporting her own age if she was continuing to work as a servant in her old age?

Worth noting the burial record for her at Glasnevin also records her age at death as 62.

Genealogy Forum Mod

On this 1911 Irish census return I wonder can any of you make out the number of years married and children born and living for Anne Healy?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

Very Hard,

I'd say 50 years married, 4 or 14 children born, no idea on living number.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭55Gem

I’d go with 50, 4 and 2

• Advertisement

Tried to darken it a bit

Thanks folks.

50, 4 & 2 is what I was seeing and it fits too so I'll go with that.

Unfortunately there's a gap in the parish records around the years she got married and the birth of her first child so I don't have that to cross reference with.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

Can't send the links to these records considering the site is down at the moment but have these saved locally. Few questions:

• Catherine's surname flucuates between Bartnett and Barnett. Presume this was common enough?
    • Does anyone know where Headford is in Kanturk?
    • Can anyone make out the placename in the 1884 record (district is Fermoy)?
    • Can anyone make out the placename in the 1886/1888 record (Garagh?!)?

Marriage cert:

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the Bartnett/ Barnett variation.

The place name in the 1884 record looks like Ballynafauna.

There are a number of Gearagh's in Cork but one just south of Fermoy, closer to Watergrasshill, might be the one.

I'm stuck on Headford!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Banteer is also on the Headford record and he’s a railway labourer.

I tried looking along the railway line near Banteer but couldn’t see Headford but in 1921 there is a notice in the newspapers from the Great Southern and Western Railway about the reopening of the line Banteer to Farranfore and Headford junction to Kenmare.

no good Headford Junction is just outside Headford near Killarney, I was hoping it was a bit like Limerick Junction, a good distance from its place name

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

Thanks both! Yeah, his job seems to have resulted in him moving around quite a bit. 1901 and 1911 census has the family living in Knockanes, Co. Kerry. Looks like he may have been living in Clara in the mid 1920s (his daughter's marriage cert has her living there at the time). Moved to Knockmay, Portlaoise afterwards and remained there.

@55Gem I think you've got the right Headford there. It's very close to Knockanes (where they were living in 1901).

Would it be worthwhile contacting anyone in Irish Rail or slim chance they would have anything worth sharing?

It probably is Headford in County Kerry.

It is geographically close enough to Kanturk that it was well known enough to be written without stating the county. (and also, placenames along the railway line would be well known).

I would guess that their residence was in Headford, Co. Kerry at that time (maybe a railway cottage), but that the birth took place in Banteer, Co. Cork for whatever reason (maybe Catherine staying with a relative or friend for assistance).

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭ath262

Johnson's Railway Atlas mentions a Headford Junction on the GSWR, it was on the line between Rathmore and Killarney and the junction to the line to Kenmare.

I just noticed the two Headford births weren’t registered until 1907 and 1908 so quite possibly they were living in Kerry at the time of the births.

• Advertisement

I wonder can anyone figure out the brides surname for this marriage in Kiltoghart in 1838.

The groom is Mathew Garvey.

It's the last entry on the right hand page.

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632388#page/81/mode/1up

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement