Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Coach Experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Dublin Coach customers will be able to travel using the Free Travel Scheme from the 1st of March, this advert was placed in this week's Kerryman newspaper. I don't know if this is only for Kerry routes or if it applies to other parts of the Dublin Coach network also.

473030.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

Given how empty the Kerry services tend to be, I am hardly surprised. I was the only passenger past Kildare Village on a recent 9pm bus to Killarney (might have picked up another two people in Limerick for Adare/Newcastle West).

I am very thankful for the service because it's the only way I can get an evening flight into Dublin airport and still make it home, but I am keep wondering how long can it go on for.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

embraer170 wrote: »
    Given how empty the Kerry services tend to be, I am hardly surprised. I was the only passenger past Kildare Village on a recent 9pm bus to Killarney (might have picked up another two people in Limerick for Adare/Newcastle West).

I am very thankful for the service because it's the only way I can get an evening flight into Dublin airport and still make it home, but I am keep wondering how long can it go on for.

Agreed. Given the last train to Kerry from Dublin is at 7pm, the late evening services are a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Here a photo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Here a photo

That's quite a considerable amount of damage that I'd say would cost quite a bit to repair. I should hope DB will be pursuing it and DC will be the ones paying for it.

• Advertisement

Stephen15 wrote: »
    That's quite a considerable amount of damage that I'd say would cost quite a bit to repair. I should hope DB will be pursuing it and DC will be the ones paying for it.

I would think so. He drove into the side so no question of blame.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

theguzman wrote: »
    Dublin Coach customers will be able to travel using the Free Travel Scheme from the 1st of March, this advert was placed in this week's Kerryman newspaper. I don't know if this is only for Kerry routes or if it applies to other parts of the Dublin Coach network also.

473030.jpg

Ironic that a bus operator who has a reputation for being very late on their services and exceptionally poor time keeping should have a pop at another company for keeping passengers waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

If your one in the back decides to claim for what ever variety of reasons now available. Could shoot into the 70/100k catagory.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The fare increase on the M7 service is a bit steep. That said it is actually quite a good service, runs reasonably on time and good quality vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

One broken down in lane 2 on the M7 now with no lights of any sort on! Seriously why are these fcuking cowboys still in business....

BTW huge tailbacks as a result..

• Advertisement

Competition from JJ Kavanagh on the way, all be it from Naas to Dublin.... hopefully this will force Dublin Coach to up their game.
    devnull wrote: »
    You will most likely see them throw resources at the route now, special offers and suchlike, and also newer vehicles, which they haven't done in years.

Talk now of Dublin Coach looking at new double deckers for the route according to a few whispers and what I have read on other forums - apparently they were already talking to Volvo about single deckers for a little while but very recently started talking about doubles.
    Vic_08 wrote: »
    123 is the number used for the relatively infrequent BE service to Newbridge via Clane, Robertstown and Kilmeague. It should not be duplicated with another route, especially not one that will have pick-up stops on the same roads.

This morning one of their vehicles was showing route 737 for this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Talk now of Dublin Coach looking at new double deckers for the route according to a few whispers and what I have read on other forums - apparently they were already talking to Volvo about single deckers for a little while but very recently started talking about doubles.

This morning one of their vehicles was showing route 737 for this service.

Wonder will the double deckers be the Plaxton Panorama????? if on a Volvo

(im assuming that its double deck coaches they will seek rather then buses)

Old diesel wrote: »
    Wonder will the double deckers be the Plaxton Panorama????? if on a Volvo.

Think they'd have to be, not sure what other double deck coaches are offered by Volvo for the UK and Ireland market, nothing springs to mind.

Would they not just go for their usual policy of buying second hand coaches

Would they not just go for their usual policy of buying second hand coaches

They've got some competition on that route now, so they're likely to go new I would imagine, the Belfast route will get new coaches this year as well according to rumour, seems that as soon as coaches are 12 months old they're taken off that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Think they'd have to be, not sure what other double deck coaches are offered by Volvo for the UK and Ireland market, nothing springs to mind.

Exactly - i cant think of anything other then Panoramas either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

out of interest, what would be possible reasons that particular coach is the only one offered for the uk and irish market by volvo? do offerings for other markets have certain issues that would prevent them from operating here such as length and height etc?

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

out of interest, what would be possible reasons that particular coach is the only one offered for the uk and irish market by volvo? do offerings for other markets have certain issues that would prevent them from operating here such as length and height etc?

They've just never been really into the double deck market to be honest (although a couple of years ago launched the 9800) on the continent most of the double decker coaches are Neoplan and Vanhool with the top end being the Setra double decker coaches, which honestly are the best coaches I've ever been on, but their price reflects that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Gael23 wrote: »
    The fare increase on the M7 service is a bit steep. That said it is actually quite a good service, runs reasonably on time and good quality vehicles.

I used to use DC all the time to get from Newbridge to the airport, but after a no-show I stopped using them. It used to be €10 per trip per person from NB to the airport. What is it now as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

I used to use DC all the time to get from Newbridge to the airport, but after a no-show I stopped using them. It used to be €10 per trip per person from NB to the airport. What is it now as a matter of interest?

Still €10. I use it almost daily due to working at the Airport. 9 times out of 10 there is no problems and majority of the time arrive at the Airport more or less on time give or take 10mins depending on traffic. In my opinion there has been far less breakdowns on the N7 route since the newer buses have come on stream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭patrickc

there appeared to be an old setra broken down in Kilkenny today

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

I've just come through a period of 6 months of not driving and have had to use Dublin Coach quite a lot. Mainly on the Dublin to Limerick route and Dublin to Cork Route. It goes against a lot of peoples experiences here but in the interest of fairness I must say that I had very few problems with them. I used them every week since late August last year. The frequency of the Limerick route meant that there was never much of a waiting time at either the red cow luas stop or Arthurs quay in Limerick. The Dublin - Limerick buses seem modern and clean, many are 2014 and newer. In Six months I experienced one break down bus on the N7 and a replacement came along within 30 minutes. Some of the Cork buses were a bit older but again, arrived on time, were clean (most of the time) and again I had very few issues. Their booking system is simple and clear and it's beats the hell out of trying to do on-line booking with the likes of Bus Eireann (nightmare). However, I have seen some of the Dublin Coach buses they use on the Red Cow to Dundrum and to the Airport and they do look shabby to say the least. I think they let themselves down in a few ways. 1) Maintenance is a definite issue and is badly damaging their reputation 2) Their drivers are generally decent fellas but don't seem to be managed in any way. They're obviously free to wear whatever they want. I was surprised to see my Kilkenny - Cork driver wearing a tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt driving the bus! The difference a professional looking driver makes to the experience is like night and day. Overall I was pleasantly surprised with Dublin Coach and possibly lucky given that I had very few problems.

During my 6 months on the buses I used JJ Kavanagh's extensively from Kilkenny to Dublin and back again using their waterford - Dublin route. Found them very hard to fault. Top notch modern fleet, professional courteous drivers (generally speaking anyway) and as close to the timetable as you can really expect nowadays. Think Dublin Coach could learn a hell of a lot from them.

I also used Eireagle on their Limerick to Dublin airport route a few times and this was, as bus travel goes, the height of luxury. Different league altogether to Dublin Coach but then again you're paying a premium for this.

The one thing that struck me across all bus companies is how much the bus drivers are on their phones. Bus drivers clearly love talking. Most using bluetooth headsets but some just phone to the ear. Not work related calls - mostly just chatting with family and friends. A bus full of paying punters should really command the drivers full attention I reckon but that's a different discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Dublin Coach has its share of breakdowns and maintenance issues.

So do all other bus operators.

This evening I saw an Aircoach broken down on the M1 southbound near Dunleer.

Last week I saw a Dublin Bus open top tour vehicle blocking the top of Lord Edward Street. The people most affected were regular Dublin buses and their passengers.
    When we eventually got past the tourbus, there was a man on a stepladder, pouring fuel into the tank.

Of course the usual vested interests would like to blame Dublin Coach for everything.

tabbey wrote: »
    Dublin Coach has its share of breakdowns and maintenance issues.

So do all other bus operators.

This evening I saw an Aircoach broken down on the M1 southbound near Dunleer.

Last week I saw a Dublin Bus open top tour vehicle blocking the top of Lord Edward Street. The people most affected were regular Dublin buses and their passengers.
    When we eventually got past the tourbus, there was a man on a stepladder, pouring fuel into the tank.

Of course the usual vested interests would like to blame Dublin Coach for everything.

That would be coolant.... Most likely over heated or lost all it's coolant to a burst pipe.

mosesgun wrote: »
    The one thing that struck me across all bus companies is how much the bus drivers are on their phones. Bus drivers clearly love talking. Most using bluetooth headsets but some just phone to the ear. Not work related calls - mostly just chatting with family and friends. A bus full of paying punters should really command the drivers full attention I reckon but that's a different discussion.

It seems to be something that is quite common amongst many long distance drivers many truck drivers seem to wear earpieces. I'm fairly sure the likes of DB and GAI don't allow their drivers use any sort of earpieces but I guess it's a different nature of work driving on motorways for long distances over pulling in and out of stops every few minutes aswell as cyclists and the likes.

I've travelled quite a lot in Italy and a lot of bus drivers over there are on the phone while driving in fact I had one hair raising expierence on a bus going up the mountains on narrow, twisty and windy little roads while the driver was booting it and on the phone but it was all okay as he kept a set of rosary beeds and a picture of the Virgin Mary in the cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

That would be coolant.... Most likely over heated or lost all it's coolant to a burst pipe.

It was being poured in just behind the driver's cab window. Nowhere near the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

They are now accepting the free travel pass on the M7 service .

It seems that the Dublin Coach Group has been having a bit of a restructure.

It seems as well as having the coaches spread out over Last Bus Limited and Citi Bus Limited, they have transferred a number of their route licenses to Moorhill Capital Limited, which is owned outright by John O'Sullivan and his wife.

In addition in the last fortnight a new company called Cityscape Buses Limited has also been formed by the same.

I wonder if this is indicating a break-up of the group is not far away or is a way of dividing assets between groups for some kind of gain. Would there be any insurance benefits of this also?

I heard from a good source their insurance premiums are mahoosive....

Quite possible he is setting it up for a sell off similar to Aircoach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Muller1991

Hi All

I was heading southbound on the M50 yesterday at roughly 16:00, I was Heading for Dundrum /Sandyford. When I was just passed Firhouse, I noticed a Dublin Coach approaching in the outside lane at speed, I was doing 100 kph and he was easily doing 110-120 kph, Gradually he began to slow down and cut across into the middle lane right behind me. I began to merge into the inside lane as I was exiting towards Dundrum.

As I was on the slip road the bus then came up beside me and cut across me withing inches i would nearly say and this is no exaggeration. Road rage immediately struck and I beeped my horn at him and he flashed the hazard etc.

From reading the thread I can see this is not uncommon, What I would like to know is has anyone ever made a complaint against this company and if so was there any response Or just a generic reply ?

Thanks in Advance

Advertisement