Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Domestic battery recycling

Options
  • 01-09-2020 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

There used to be small blue battery recycling boxes in our local supermarkets but this service seems to have been discontinued. Can anyone confirm this please?

I assume that I have already paid the WEEE charge for the used batteries and I thought that vendors were obliged to take them back, but the absence of the blue boxes leads me to wonder whether this is still the position. I want to dispose of them corrctly, but there's no local council recycling depot withing 20 miles of me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

Any shop that sells batteries is legally obliged to accept batteries from members of the public, even if they don't have a recycling container on display. It might be worth contacting WEEE Ireland to make sure the retailer is complying- as you say, the takeback scheme is consumer funded and presumably the shop is making some money selling batteries.

Edit- it drives me spare that people take the blue cardboard boxes then leave them filled in the shop and look for another one- when the box is full, just empty the batteries into a small bag and bring that! Rant over.

Advertisement