Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow watch until Sunday 24th (N,W,SW most at risk)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Ballyshannon has a dusting of snow right on the coast. Don't think there will be much mixing unless there's milder air associated with it.

I think the showers are coming in with colder air. There is colder air with a freezing level of 300 metres out in the ocean coming in from the northwest.

So no it won’t be raining anywhere.

See colder air

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

No, not allowed post the original due to copyright and can't do my own right now. Yizzl have to use your imagination...:pac:

Yes, it's a bit late to be expecting your carefully crafted MS Paint jobs!

They were very detailed in fairness! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

UKMO aviation chart for 6 am is a little more bullish, mentioning thundersnow.

And just for interest, the snow line chart (precipitation type) has snow at sea level in the sea.

So it will definitely not be raining anywhere.. and as said before NW can deliver snow if given the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

UKMO aviation chart for 6 am is a little more bullish, mentioning thundersnow.

I will never forget the one and only time I saw thundersnow! (2010 Kilkenny looking towards Wexford) It was epic. The shades of blue that were bouncing between the clouds were awesome! It it's the crème de le crème for me

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

Id say tonight as much chance of Liverpool winning the league. :p
    Tomorrow night nowcast. :D

so thats a defo snow for dublin tonight

Don’t want to end up on that northern end with it sliding to my SW.

Snowing in Derry now based on the traffic cams.

https://trafficwatchni.com/twni/cameras/static?id=77

https://trafficwatchni.com/twni/cameras/static?id=73

• Registered Users Posts: 32 polarhullar

Been sleeping since 9pm to get up at 5am and my 2 year old woke me crying (thanks)

24m ASL Eglinton

https://streamable.com/fz0he1

Derry stole all the snow. Just tiny flakes so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Caught the edge of a shower here about an hour ago, its like someone sprinked some icing sugar outside. Fingers crossed for a bit more by sunday evening.
    Looks like parts of Donegal and Derry are doing ok for snow.
    Currently -2c now, south cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We had a blast of real heavy hailstones in North Donegal at approx 01:15, lasted maybe 15mins.
    Followed by some snow.

Been snowing gradually here but just slight or moderate not heavy. But it is filling the road in.

Think we would need the showers to pep up. I think this will be a typical 2-3cm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Nothing like an aul nowcast. I'm fairly confident of seeing lying snow overnight Saturday.

Situation here. Don’t want to show my car or the road.. but just a light dusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    I will never forget the one and only time I saw thundersnow! (2010 Kilkenny looking towards Wexford) It was epic. The shades of blue that were bouncing between the clouds were awesome! It it's the crème de le crème for me

This nipper would have creamed July 1985 ;) :P :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Stumbled across this on twitter. Milford a couple of hours ago. Don't be confused about the Christmas tree. Its up for the covid debacle. White christmas of sorts :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

No snow showers here since the last one. I was hoping for a bit more overnight, but will have to make do with the sprinkling from the earlier showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Grass minima down to as low as -10 °C at Gurteen. Only up to 6 am so colder could still occur.

Similarly minimum air temperatures.

540442.png

540441.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

On the latest model runs looks good for most for snow overnight tonight.

Potentially some heavier stuff in the east by dawn. I say stuff because i'm unsure whether it will be all snow or more mixed here with the onshore wind. Could go either way.

But a fair bit to look forward to :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Complex enough situation
    For places like Cork it's quite marginal with uppers around -4 high ground will be required.
    Big upgrade for Dublin where several hours of snow are possible early Sunday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

Is yellow warning taken down?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

bazlers wrote: »
    Is yellow warning taken down?

It's there? May have been updated?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

On the latest model runs looks good for most for snow overnight tonight.

Potentially some heavier stuff in the east by dawn. I say stuff because i'm unsure whether it will be all snow or more mixed here with the onshore wind. Could go either way.

But a fair bit to look forward to :)

How will the west do

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

DOCARCH wrote: »
    It's there? May have been updated?

Yep possibly updated. See what tonight brings.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Winteriest forecast I have heard on the radio in a long time!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Winteriest forecast I have heard on the radio in a long time!

Yup heard that
    Here for your delectation is aromes take on tomorrow

snowdepth_20210123_00_042.jpg.83b1d165853b02202ea989ebe4b44cc2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Cork snow shield back in operation :(

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Yup heard that
    Here for your delectation is aromes take on tomorrow.

Not sure I will be getting the sledge out of the attic...just yet!

• Advertisement

Well as expected we got 2-3cm of wet snow. Looks like it snowed a bit more during the night. I am sure if it was colder we would’ve had more snow.

I am hoping it won’t melt but it probably will. Kind of weak event but whatever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement