Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross-inscribed stone on Dingle Peninsula. Ideas?

• 17-09-2020 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭

Saw the following on a walk along a ridge on the Dingle Peninsula, near "Glean Fan," a historic site full of beehive huts and granaries..

I'm wondering if these are modern-ish or date back to the 800's or so when the area was occupied by the hut dwellers

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

I tried looking on 'archaeology.ie' and got the 'this site is insecure' message, which is pretty bad :(

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I’m not sure that it is a cross inscribed stone. Not in the typical manner of Christian inscription at any rate.
    It could well be a rough out for a millstone and if so, it is likely to be contemporary with the other remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

slowburner wrote: »
    I’m not sure that it is a cross inscribed stone. Not in the typical manner of Christian inscription at any rate.
    It could well be a rough out for a millstone and if so, it is likely to be contemporary with the other remains.

I tend to agree. the 4 pieces are of equal length which tends to contraindicate a Cross, and the central indent ( Monastic Historian here)

Although that area? Have you any more info? I think I know where from my time in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Graces7 wrote: »
    I tend to agree. the 4 pieces are of equal length which tends to contraindicate a Cross, and the central indent ( Monastic Historian here)

Although that area? Have you any more info? I think I know where from my time in the area.

Gleann Fan, sometimes called Gleanfahan. Basically, the hillside up from the Stonehouse restaurant that goes up and over Slea Head and down to (approximately) Dun Mhor. The stone in question's about 1/3 the way up, before the turnoff for Sleibh Eolar.

I agree that it's a millstone, there are a fair amount of those around.

The Fan river 'valley' obviously was settled for some time, and a mill on the river wouldn't be surprising. There are a lot of beehive huts, some reconstructed, as well as granaries and field walls in the area. If Ireland had any money for serious archaeological investigations, I think that area would be good for about a dozen PhD theses :)

Advertisement