Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can a tv licence inspector come into your driveway and look in your front window?

• 15-06-2019 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

I've spent a long time searching trying to find this out and finally just said to hell with it, I'll ask here.

I'm expecting a visit from the friendly tv licence inspector some day and it's giving me a bit of anxiety. I keep hearing this thing about "can he look through the front window and see a tv", and the answer is not from a public area no. But could he reasonably walk around the side of the house and peer in?

I've heard of them being very persistent and aggressive, but he wouldn't have the gall to come up to the front window on my property and look inside with me and the tv in there would he? There is absolutely no public area such as the road he can see a tv from.

He would have to willfully go past the front door and walk along the side of the house until he came to the front window. Alternatively he could park in the driveway, get out of the car and look in. But if you're in a driveway uninvited you're already trespassing right?

Can they get a warrant to search the house on probable cause?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Or you know.. just pay your TV licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

I paid mine by monthly direct debit- easy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,474 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

h7DD57DD2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Erm... if your front window is at the side of your house where are your side windows?

• Advertisement

The TV licence inspector has to prove that live broadcasts are being watched. And when the warrant is obtained, they must be accompanied by a member of An Garda Siochána.

Which would represent a needless waste of public resources.

When you go to jail for not paying the fine, don't come on here saying you were sent to jail for not having a TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I have now, thanks!
    Erm... if your front window is at the side of your house where are your side windows?

We kind of call the south-facing side of the house the front as it's next to the driveway. We have no windows facing the road, but the front door is facing the road. So it's like there's two sides of the house that are called the front. I never thought of it like that before.
    The TV licence inspector has to prove that live broadcasts are being watched. And when the warrant is obtained, they must be accompanied by a member of An Garda Siochána.

Any strategies for getting them to piss off? For example would rudeness cause them to be more harsh or less likely to return?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,889 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The TV licence inspector has to prove that live broadcasts are being watched.

Have you got something to back that up?

This is the text from citizeninformation.ie
    If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Become a TV License Inspector. They were looking for recruits recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Broadcasting Act 2009 states:

"146 (3) An officer of an issuing agent may enter at any reasonable time any premises or specified place for the purposes of ascertaining whether there is a television set there and a television licence is for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place authorising the keeping of a television set at the premises or specified place."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

callaway92 wrote: »
    Or you know.. just pay your TV licence

It's hardly worth it for the ****e RTÉ churn out and Love Island...

Any strategies for getting them to piss off? For example would rudeness cause them to be more harsh or less likely to return?

Garlic lots of garlic.

Always wear a suit and tie and well polished shoes.
    Eat lots of garlic everyday.

Greet them with a big hug and ask them if they have been saved yet.

(The next part might be tricky if you have a TV)

Invite them in for a long discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 20,889 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Don't forget they're powerless without their hat. No wait, that's the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

"146 (3) An officer of an issuing agent may enter at any reasonable time any premises or specified place for the purposes of ascertaining whether there is a television set there and a television licence is for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place authorising the keeping of a television set at the premises or specified place."

That’s fair power for them.

So could they go into your house if the door was unlocked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

I've spent a long time searching trying to find this out and finally just said to hell with it, I'll ask here.

I'm expecting a visit from the friendly tv licence inspector some day and it's giving me a bit of anxiety. I keep hearing this thing about "can he look through the front window and see a tv", and the answer is not from a public area no. But could he reasonably walk around the side of the house and peer in?

I've heard of them being very persistent and aggressive, but he wouldn't have the gall to come up to the front window on my property and look inside with me and the tv in there would he? There is absolutely no public area such as the road he can see a tv from.

He would have to willfully go past the front door and walk along the side of the house until he came to the front window. Alternatively he could park in the driveway, get out of the car and look in. But if you're in a driveway uninvited you're already trespassing right?

Contact a solicitor to defend your property rights. Also given the state of "anxiety" you are experiencing I'd say you should be due some serious compo.

Alternatively you could just pay your fair share and stop sponging off the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

They're just doing their job, like most people. Assuming you work, don't think you'd like the public to be thinking like that. Just pay the TV licence if you haven't and if you have a need too. If you don't have a need, invite them in and show them around, have a cup of tea.

_Brian wrote: »
    That’s fair power for them.

So could they go into your house if the door was unlocked ?

Where does it say anything about unlocked? I'm sure they can't cause damage but it says nothing about locked or unlocked.

It is a huge power as you said, seems like ridiculous legislation, how did that ever pass. With that power they could go into your bed if they claim they thought there was a tv in there. There must be more to it than that surely.

...so long as it's a "reasonable time" of course. God forbid they would be taking liberties with their powers by coming at some unreasonable time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Can't rat if he is dead

Be surprised they can enter without permission. The Guards need permission to enter without a warrant,doubt they'd give An Post staff greater powers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

In Ireland, they need only show that you have suitable receiving equipment, although watching live broadcasts would be pretty good proof for this.

kneemos wrote: »
    Be surprised they can enter without permission. The Guards need permission to enter without a warrant,doubt they'd give An Post staff greater powers.

This video has an inspector going to a judge to obtain a search warrant. 0.25

https://youtu.be/5A8hBHUYHd4

Where does it say anything about unlocked? I'm sure they can't cause damage but it says nothing about locked or unlocked.

It is a huge power as you said, seems like ridiculous legislation, how did that ever pass. With that power they could go into your bed if they claim they thought there was a tv in there. There must be more to it than that surely.

...so long as it's a "reasonable time" of course. God forbid they would be taking liberties with their powers by coming at some unreasonable time. :rolleyes:

You shouldn't expect to get answers to legal questions here. And your personal views on the legislation is not relevant in any legal proceedings. It goes back to 1926, so has stood the test of time.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/18/enacted/en/print#sec59

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Is this the same inspector that moonlights as a dog warden?

After looking at the Broadcast Act 2009, where they say "an officer of an issuing agent" I think they mean a police officer. The "issuing agent" is from An Post, but he will have to bring a garda with him.

kneemos wrote: »
    Garda don't need a warrant or permission to enter if they are going to arrest someone and have 'reasonable suspicion' that the person is the home. They can even force entry for this.

So the real question is when will An Post be SWATing the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

After looking at the Broadcast Act 2009, where they say "an officer of an issuing agent" I think they mean a police officer. The "issuing agent" is from An Post, but he will have to bring a garda with him.

You think completely wrongly. The issuing agent is An Post and the licence inspectors are all agents of An Post. There is nothing in the legislation regarding the requirement for a Garda being present. An officer is an employee granted authority to act in the role of inspector.

You think completely wrongly. The issuing agent is An Post and the licence inspectors are all agents of An Post. There is nothing in the legislation regarding the requirement for a Garda being present. An officer is an employee granted authority to act in the role of inspector.

So you're home having your tea and the TV Inspector walks into the kitchen?

No way dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

The postman walks down my driveway and puts his hand in my letterbox, is that ok like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

TV licence inspectors have been given additional powers to enter a house in any way they see fit where they know the occupant/scrounger has a TV and is scouring the Internet looking for ways to avoid them.

There are many people who would only love to be able to rid themselves of anxiety for the measly sum of €13 a month. OP I hope yours goes off the charts now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement