Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A wicked rumble in Castlebar, shook the whole house, torrential hail as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Some fierce thunder and lightning in south mayo towards the north. Casltlebar side of ballinrobe I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Woken up by some pretty frequent bright lightning. Thunder booming in sinister fashion constantly from a distance. About 3 flashes per min at the mo.

Edit, just wintnessed a a forked IC crawler to the N. :O

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some very intense radar returns north west of Galway

Only getting started :/

• Advertisement

Some very intense radar returns north west of Galway

Thunder getting louder here (NE Galway) but no rain and just the odd gust.

New Moon

Passed over in a short blaze of glory with intense hail and thunder. House is shaking as I type this from a deep, distant boom. Lightning less frequent now.

Good to see some proper winter weather at last! (even though it is spring now)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

A rumble, then afew mins later a flash+rumble, then a god dam heavy lashing of a downpour, then another 2 rumbles just now. N.E county Galway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Great rumbling and a few large flashes now Galway city, rain staring as i type

A rumble, then afew mins later a flash+rumble, then a god dam heavy lashing of a downpour, then another 2 rumbles just now. N.E county Galway
    Whereabouts JD? rumbles turned to direct overheaders here but booming away in the distance again now. Lightning not as near but seems to be picking up in frequency again.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Looking at the maps it was towards tuam more than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Carol25

Thunder and lightning here near Athenry, woken me from my slumber. Loud cracks, frequent flashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

Holy Moley... woke about 15 mins ago as I thought aomeothing was thrown against one side of my house.. the last time I heard thunder and lightning so loud and in such quick succession (with the heaviest rain!) was when I lived in Western Australia! I’m in Spiddal Village. It seems to have passed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Never heard thunder as loud in Galway City lightning is blinding

• Registered Users Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yep its was loud bangs in Salthill.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Been a great night of thunder and lightning in Galway city. My roof has been actually creaking, this is the first time the sounds of thunder have made me jump out of my skin.
    Thoroughly enjoying it though. Opened my curtains, laying back enjoying the show. Fun watching different neighbours lights go on after each crack. :)

It seems to be easing off now, there is lightning but the thunder is very distant, sometimes inaudible after flashes. Its definitely been one of our best nights of atmospherics here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 anismi

Good bit of activity here since about 3.30 which woke me up. Massive flash bang about 15 minutes ago followed by torrential hail. Set off all the alarms in the area and seems to have blown the WiFi. Scared the bejaysus out of me! Still going in the distance. Oranmore area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭dmc17

Wow, that was loud in Galway. Cracking thunder more so than the usual rumbling

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

NW Clare. Some show. Seems to be dying down now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭LowOdour

West Galway....a scarily loud bang went off an hour ago. The last time I heard it that bad last year, we lost a lot of appliances and neighbour almost lost their house with all the damage done. Worried what the morning brings.

Things have eased in the last 10min or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Yes a squall line developed with plenty of sparks.

474982.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Whereabouts JD? rumbles turned to direct overheaders here but booming away in the distance again now. Lightning not as near but seems to be picking up in frequency again.

Got some very close if not directly overhead around 4am, the crack of the strikes sounded different to the normal rumble. The wind and hailstones was what actually woke me.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

RoisinD wrote: »
    NW Clare. Some show. Seems to be dying down now

I was woken by it too, it was really loud and powerful...

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

As others have said, it was very intense here in west Co Galway for a while. Loud shotgun bangs of thunder instead of rumbles for a while. I couldn't get over the searing brightness of the lightning flashes. I watched it from bed out the window for a while then closed my eyes to try to go back to sleep. Then a flash lit up the room and absolutely blinded me, with my eyes closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I have been through lots of Thunder Storms but I have never seen or heard anything like last night in Galway, the lightning was incredibly bright it was difficult to look at it and as for the Thunder I don't want to experience anything like it again as much as I love a good Storm. It was the first time I did not video it as I was sure the house would be struck by lightning it was that close and some of the flashes and bangs were frightening if I'm honest. Can anyone on hear explain how it was so intense compared to our normal storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Woke at 4am by the mother of all thunderstorms in east Galway
    House was shaking
    Got up for a look and was damn near blinded by a flash overhead !!!!
    Power flickered but stayed on

Oddly it has now just gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

No thunder here in North county Dublin but at 5:45 I was awoken by the mother of all squalls. Insane wind and rain but I'm surprised there were no sparks given its intensity. Its probably the remnants of what visited Connaught earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Yep, Galway City was very bad. Had my hands full calming two utterly terrified dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I have been through lots of Thunder Storms but I have never seen or heard anything like last night in Galway, the lightning was incredibly bright it was difficult to look at it and as for the Thunder I don't want to experience anything like it again as much as I love a good Storm. It was the first time I did not video it as I was sure the house would be struck by lightning it was that close and some of the flashes and bangs were frightening if I'm honest. Can anyone on hear explain how it was so intense compared to our normal storms.

Could it have been negative lightning???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some show last night. The ESB power check map has a sea of blue over Galway/Mayo. Lots without power this morning

Advertisement