Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nz bobby calves

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

It never ceases to amaze me how some Irish farmers as so eager for our dairy industry to grow up to be like NZ. The facts are NZ farmers get some of the worst milk prices in the world and their Co Op executives are paid some of the highest salaries in the world.
    A friend of mine spoke to a couple from NZ who were visiting Ireland last week. They said they had to give up dairy farming our their marriage would not survive.

It seems very clear that NZ farming is hard on man and beast. That video shows it in a very poor light. Even if it is not common practice it is just not acceptable. This kind of thing is painting dairy farming in a very poor light. I have personally seen a growing number of people give up dairy. We in Ireland need to be proactive in condemning and distancing ourselves from this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Learned to use a captive bolt gun this year and has been a valuable experience. My employer prefers to do the causalty cows and calves himself and doesn't insist on any employees to do it if they don't want to. Had a calf get rolled on by its mother breaking it's leg on his days off so I took it on. Was very clean and easy with no extra suffering for the calf.

Not everyone thinks about their farm being in the public's eye which has to change. Our farm is on an open road leading to the local clay pigeon shooting club so it keeps us on our toes. Means we're on top of our game in treating animals correctly from bobby calves through to the collecting yard for the milking cows and everything is kept neat and tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Can you not shoot them at birth? It would be better than holding them for a few days. I know distance from the knacker would be different in NZ than Ireland. That lad in the vid could do with been hung up.

I'd say a knackery would be the least of their problems

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

For **** sake can any of ye please educate yourselves on Irish/EU legislation and stop spouting nonsensical crap from Australia etc - that **** has noting to do with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Just watched that video, it's fairly rough. There's always an idiot like the lad in the video somewhere. I'd seriously doubt it's common practice over there but there was still enough of it happening for the animal rights to get their vid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If you were in our local mart last Saturday, and saw calf prices, you wouldn't be thinking of killing a bull calf. You'd be wrapping it in cotton wool and minding it like a baby.
    Two different systems entirely. A world of a difference and half a world away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭amacca

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If you were in our local mart last Saturday, and saw calf prices, you wouldn't be thinking of killing a bull calf. You'd be wrapping it in cotton wool and minding it like a baby.
    Two different systems entirely. A world of a difference and half a world away.

Agreed...(although I have seen a larger number of poorer quality calves being offered in places where I usually buy of late so maybe we are venturing down that road)

I do calf to beef and I have to say when I watched the video a number of things sprang to mind - it is sad to see a resource like that wasted (I consider it waste to some extent if its just dogfood or they are slaughtered immediately) and I felt sorry for the calves particularly the roughness of the handling although some degree of physicality is sometimes needed to get calves to move where you need them to be - not violence or throwing them around like a bag of rubbish mind or the kicking/cruelty..but I suppose the callousness could creep in if your at it 24-7 for years and you have hundreds a day to get through, the slaughter method should be different/humane etc..Maybe I'm naive but I'd imagine a lot of farmer would see no need to be excessive when it comes to this (obviously theres always a gob****e or two)

I wish they could hold on to them for a week and give them to me, id gladly take them off their hands and give them a lovely grass fed 18 months - Jersey or not if I got them free they'd leave me with more (probably still small though) money than paying anywhere between 200 and 400 a head for them.

Advertisement