Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome New Members/Old Members - Introduce yourself here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

lillen wrote: »
    Hahaha, did not realize that this thread was in Farming & Forestry! So sorry.

Are you handy with a shovel at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Depends what you define interesting, but veterinary, so I suppose it's interesting :P

Well if you can't tempt a certain limerick man back nothing will,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

Mid 30's rebel, boyii!!!

Full time working (early finish today for a change), and part time farming, sucklers and yearlings. Used to be dairy here up to about 10 years ago so was reared in the parlour.

Used to be fierce into the sport as a young lad and was handy enough at the soccer and football but frustrated hurler. Got very pissed off with all after a Bad injury in my late teens and decided to give college a good go and never looked back. Spent most of my 20's studying, drinking, chasing young wanns and working and trying the ol gaa again. Went traveling met the mrs and came back home to chase calves around sheds.

Would like to farm FT but not in a position to do so, cleared the farm debt a few years ago but with building a house and the ring on the middle finger need to day job to pay all that off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

32 new dairy entrant 6 years ago!! Milking 90 cows but plans of expansion from next year on, play hurling and soccer (ones gota go after this year). Have worked and studied in IT before but wasnt for me. Oh ya girls im not single anymore;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

late 20s lad here from Roscommon, spent nearly all of my 20s in nz working/managing dairy farms. Moved home recently and trying to decide what to do or were to go to next :confused: . Big interest in everything farming and also like watching sports such as rugby and gaa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Mid-20's. From Kilkenny but living out in Canada since 2012. Working as a vet in mixed practice. The father is at home on the farm, used to be dairy, switched fully to sucklers there about 4-5 years ago as a way into semi-retirement.

Don't want to farm full time :eek: but the ideal life would involve having a small amount of land to keep 10-20 sucklers to tinker away at with embryo transfers and a twinning experiment I've been wanting to try for a few years. Controversial I know!

Still managing to play at bit of hurling even in Ontario believe it or not!

Plan to stick around in Ontario for another two years and decide what to do then with regards going home or staying permanently etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭piebaldskwbald

Mid-20's. From Kilkenny but living out in Canada since 2012. Working as a vet in mixed practice. The father is at home on the farm, used to be dairy, switched fully to sucklers there about 4-5 years ago as a way into semi-retirement.

Don't want to farm full time :eek: but the ideal life would involve having a small amount of land to keep 10-20 sucklers to tinker away at with embryo transfers and a twinning experiment I've been wanting to try for a few years. Controversial I know!

Plan to stick around in Ontario for another two years and decide what to do then with regards going home or staying permanently etc.

Another vet, welcome! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭visatorro

fair play to ya bringing the hurl with ya, whats the standard like??!!

visatorro wrote: »
    fair play to ya bringing the hurl with ya, whats the standard like??!!

Not just one, the climate is quite dry here so I've been going through hurls like they're going out of fashion. Costing a fortune. Breaking hitting the ball the odd time!

Standard is hit and miss. We usually play 9 or 11 aside depending on how many teams can get out. You'd have some lads putting over frees from their own half, sidelines over the bar and then the next guy throwing up the ball and missing it :) Great craic and more social hurling really. Some matches would be of the standard of a good Junior B game in Kilkenny. Some would be more relaxed haha

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

.... to tinker away at with embryo transfers and a twinning experiment I've been wanting to try for a few years. Controversial I know!

Induced twinning?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

greysides wrote: »
    Induced twinning?

Yeah, I did a few repro electives while in UCD and have wanted to try it since then. If you hit them with eCG as the follicle wave emerges you could allow for two dominant follicles to be selected. If you used sexed semen you'd stop the chance of freemartins. Freemartins would be advantageous for beef anyway, you'd still have enough heifer-heifer twins for replacements and the freemartins would have a better growth rate due to the testosterone exposure.

Again some people think it's hardship and asking for dead calves but the USDA have bred cattle selecting for twins and it works out to be more profitable. Yes you will lose some calves but overall you will have more live calves weaned. This is selecting genetically for a 50% twinning rate after 30 years. Slightly different from doing it hormonally as I suggest.

http://usda.biddersauction.com/cattle/index_files/Page347.htm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Probably an easier method than the previous natural service and embryo implantation method that was tried commercially previously.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Probably an easier method than the previous natural service and embryo implantation method that was tried commercially previously.

It sounds easy but I suppose the big cost is having to scan cows repeatedly to catch them at the right stage to hit them with eCG. You could just scan once and give eCG to whatever cows happen to be at the right point. Depends how aggressively it is being pursued. Would be a grand hobby for a vet with a scanner on their own cows but not sure would it ever be commercially viable to spend the money repeatedly scanning as if breeding a mare!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

It sounds easy but I suppose the big cost is having to scan cows repeatedly to catch them at the right stage to hit them with eCG. You could just scan once and give eCG to whatever cows happen to be at the right point. Depends how aggressively it is being pursued. Would be a grand hobby for a vet with a scanner on their own cows but not sure would it ever be commercially viable to spend the money repeatedly scanning as if breeding a mare!

Would extensive breeding of twins not be hard on cows though, surely their production lifespan would be shorter?

Damo810 wrote: »
    Would extensive breeding of twins not be hard on cows though, surely their production lifespan would be shorter?

It would indeed. You'd have higher incidence of retained placenta's, possibly more ketosis if not watching the feed, higher milk yield as a result of increased BST from twin pregnancy and more difficult calvings +/- sections. The majority of the cost of sucklers is in feeding the cow though so if she had two calves sucking her you don't need much extra grass. It has +'s and -'s but I think there is something to it.

PS, we're going badly off topic here, Greysides will have to give us yellow cards if we're not careful :)

Greysides is culpable too. :(

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Greysides is culpable too. :(

Shame on ya :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

kevthegaff wrote: »
    32 new dairy entrant 6 years ago!! Milking 90 cows but plans of expansion from next year on, play hurling and soccer (ones gota go after this year). Have worked and studied in IT before but wasnt for me. Oh ya girls im not single anymore;-)

No wonder your not as worried about the quota this year!! Good man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I've not been on here for months kinda drifted away from it

Suckler farmer in west coast , some suckler to store and this year bulled and sold a few in calf beef Bred heifers.

Looking at AA scheme and organics and GLAS to improve profitability .. Young trained farmer , 36 and open to anything that turns a pound from the land without harming it /annoying neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Early 30s from West Galway , working & fightin with the ould fella :) at Sucklers and a few sheep so a bit mixed. To sum it up, I'm a struggling farmer and a struggling plumber but what the hell I love it. Tis great to be alive. Health and happiness to you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Well you sir

Hi all. I'm from Tipp in early 30s as well. In the dairying game but not in a big way and plenty to learn. Married with two kids. Hopefully can pick up and contribute useful ideas to the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Hi all. I'm from Tipp in early 30s as well. In the dairying game but not in a big way and plenty to learn. Married with two kids. Hopefully can pick up and contribute useful ideas to the forum.

Welcome aboard . I love useful ideas so let fly with them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Was thinking of starting afresh as Adonis but some other geek beat me to it :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭mf240

Your not borrisikane/ clochjordan direction by any chance? They all say (you sir ) over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Well you sir

No but not a million miles away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

mf240 wrote: »
    Your not borrisikane/ clochjordan direction by any chance? They all say (you sir ) over there.

and say "well" instead of hello

answered an ad. on DD and greeting was "well" , tight with the luck penny up that country as well

• Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

jt65 wrote: »
    and say "well" instead of hello

answered an ad. on DD and greeting was "well" , tight with the luck penny up that country as well
    You get the same greeting around here but we ain't as tight with the luck penny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Hi all, Galway woman here, currently part time vet nurse, part time helping parents with small suckler herd. Would like one day to keep some of the rare breeds, dexter, moilie etc. Applied for the distance learning green cert back in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭piebaldskwbald

Hi all, Galway woman here, currently part time vet nurse, part time helping parents with small suckler herd. Would like one day to keep some of the rare breeds, dexter, moilie etc. Applied for the distance learning green cert back in July.

welcome! great to see another lady on here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

welcome! great to see another lady on here!

We might hit double numbers soon!:P

Advertisement