Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Got return of animals I sent away on the 12th. For angus got 4.25 for o's 4.35 for r's they avg 355kgs
    Lim 4.25 for r n 4.15 for o's avg 375kgs
    Cows p's 3.65 kg

I thing it's not a bad return

What are you doing just boastng

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

Bullocks I presume, tis a good price for O's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

tim04750 wrote: »
    Bullocks I presume, tis a good price for O's
    Ya Tim bullocks

http://cattleprices.wordpress.com/

Amazing ,they must all fill or sign contracts the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

tim04750 wrote: »

Amazing ,they must all fill or sign contracts the same day.

Are those last weeks prices or prices cattle are being bought at this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Got return of animals I sent away on the 12th. For angus got 4.25 for o's 4.35 for r's they avg 355kgs
    Lim 4.25 for r n 4.15 for o's avg 375kgs
    Cows p's 3.65 kg

I thing it's not a bad return

What are you doing just boastng

No pudsey why are you jelous???

Are those last weeks prices or prices cattle are being bought at this week.

That's not made clear but seems to be based on the quotes given in the early part of the week, any time I had a look its very close or bang on what I'v been quoted .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

No pudsey why are you jelous???

Na mine are not ready for another while

It amazing that all the factory's manage to drop the prices togeather and to the same level, pure chance what odd's would a bookie give you on it, none because they know the story and the competition authority would jail farmers if we protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭dealerman

base quotes 3.90 for blks 4 for heifers in abp and dawn
    some plants in the midlands and futher up on 5 cents more
    factoreis will have to give more to buy cattle this week
    they are more anxious for stock this week

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭grizzlyadams

dealerman wrote: »
    base quotes 3.90 for blks 4 for heifers in abp and dawn
    some plants in the midlands and futher up on 5 cents more
    factoreis will have to give more to buy cattle this week
    they are more anxious for stock this week

On the phone to my agent this morning to be quoted 3.90c/kg , sweet Jesus , got 4.20 two weeks ago for bullocks ( abp )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Well at least the weather has improved in our favour, farmers should be able to hang on to cattle instead of just throwing them at the factories. With the euro vs sterling gone the right way all the factories should be able to pay more, according to the comic prices are going up in N Ireland.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

maybe someone realized that the olympics wasn't going to demand as much meat as was said. This was never going to happen. Presume prices will stabilize at last weeks levels, and not drop more. demand for expensive cuts has being sluggish due to weather in our major markets. Price will pick up in the short term and then a bit of the usual up a small bit and down a bit for the months of August and September hovering around the 4.15 for heifers I would think

Sold a good few cull cows last week and desperately disappointed in there kill, their weights were crap, probably the worst weights kill in a couple of years for some reason, suppose not having sunshine has had a major effect on their performance even though they are on high buffer feed.

I see on ICBF that there are almost 100,000 more calves registered so far this year compared to this time last year, Price of beef in 2014 could be 'interesting'

What breed were the cows Bob?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Sold a good few cull cows last week and desperately disappointed in there kill, their weights were crap, probably the worst weights kill in a couple of years for some reason, suppose not having sunshine has had a major effect on their performance even though they are on high buffer feed.[/Quote]

And as this is a price tracker bob is there any chance that you might, just this once, tell us what you got?
    By the way my old man killed heifers yesterday and got 4.20 a kilo base price. All got quality assurance bonus except for one fat heifer.

huey1975 wrote: »
    And as this is a price tracker bob is there any chance that you might, just this once, tell us what you got?
    By the way my old man killed heifers yesterday and got 4.20 a kilo base price. All got quality assurance bonus except for one fat heifer.

oh sorry, €3.40 I think for the cows - mix of O and P :D:D, a price that wouldn't make you rich, cow prices are always poor in these parts. mix of fr and a smallish continentals, only killed around 310kilos in the round, disastrous even though they were finished. Your price of €4.20 for heifers wasn't available in many places so you done well. I killed too many cattle last week as I bought very little and what I bought are all wrong and will die a debt. Auctioneers are driving prices too hard with so little customers around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Met a guy today in ballinakill who brought a limousin bull back to be sold. He refused €1200 last may. The same guy offered him €1050, but he refused to sell again. I pointed out that he might just sell him for that in the back end.

Met a guy today in ballinakill who brought a limousin bull back to be sold. He refused €1200 last may. The same guy offered him €1050, but he refused to sell again. I pointed out that he might just sell him for that in the back end.

much always wants more, some guys don't realise you make hay when the sun is shining

It was the old man got that for heifers.
    I have about 20 bullocks to go soon and I guess I will be lucky to get anything over 400/kilo. It will be hard to take though as I got 425 only two weeks ago. In fairness though stores are back about €200 a head if not more so if beef stabilises around €4 a kilo it might be sustainable.

I was quoted a base of €4 today for my bullocks but I think I will hold out as they are nice bullocks that are thriving well and aren't going to get overfat. The old man has more heifers to go and he was quoted 4.15/Kg. He might take it as he is a bit short on grass.

Anybody get a quote for cows this week?

• Advertisement

The old man killed more heifers today at a base of €4.15/kg but with quality assurance and the grid he was averaging about €4.30. I don't think he is too happy with me though because I am still holding out with my bullocks. I was quoted €4/kg but I said no. I am not overly worried but if I sold a load now I could replace them with stores at about €2kg liveweight as opposed to the €2.45 I was giving about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭MfMan

The old man killed more heifers today at a base of €4.15/kg but with quality assurance and the grid he was averaging about €4.30. I don't think he is too happy with me though because I am still holding out with my bullocks. I was quoted €4/kg but I said no. I am not overly worried but if I sold a load now I could replace them with stores at about €2kg liveweight as opposed to the €2.45 I was giving about a month ago.

Any harm to ask where you abouts Huey? Who was quoting? Are your cattle in-spec? All beef farmers are desperately hoping the weather will clear up and put a floor under things again but I fear there could be another pull before there's a rise.

The heifers went to kepak in kilbeggan and were all Us and Rs. One heifer was over thirty months. Liffey meats in ballinasloe and kepak in kilbeggan were quoting €4/kg for the bullockd

4 for bullocks and 4.10 for heifers is what cattle are being bought at down south in most plants and getting more than enough animals at those prices. What price did you get for the heifer over 30months as a matter of interest. My prediction of 3.80 for heifers is getting near much sooner than I taught:roll eyes:

oh and thanks to the two pricks that sound me guaranteed maiden heifers that turned out as having calves this week. This is really getting to annoy me as there are so many of them now. I havnt the time for chasing up people, but I have to. Down €480 between the 2 animals, I'm sick sh*t of marts not dealing with this issue

4 for bullocks and 4.10 for heifers is what cattle are being bought at down south in most plants and getting more than enough animals at those prices. What price did you get for the heifer over 30months as a matter of interest. My prediction of 3.80 for heifers is getting near much sooner than I taught:rolleyes:

She was a big blue heifer, killed out just over 400kg and he got €4.21/kg as she graded r+

beef farming is all about replacement costs and not final price. the only day you make money in beef is the day you sell every animal and never replace them again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭MfMan

beef farming is all about replacement costs and not final price. the only day you make money in beef is the day you sell every animal and never replace them again:D

Mmm.. not really. I'd be of the view that all cattle should stand on their own. You can't say that the profit I make from this bullock will defray the costs of the next one. Livestock are no different from financial stocks IMHO, profit / loss on one unit is just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

MfMan wrote: »
    Mmm.. not really. I'd be of the view that all cattle should stand on their own. You can't say that the profit I make from this bullock will defray the costs of the next one. Livestock are no different from financial stocks IMHO, profit / loss on one unit is just that.

I disagree completely - with bob on this 1

Your profit is always the difference between the sale price and the replacement price - how much the individual animal makes between buying and selling is pretty meaningless

If i buy a bullock for 500 and sell for 1000 and buy a replacement for 800 - the 500 profit on the first is partially wiped out by the increased cost of replacement - so your profit is 200 and not 500

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

There is right and wrong in this one depending on your system. Bob is right as his system is based on a continuous cycle of buying cattle for a 100 day finishing period. The replacement cost is thus important. Whereas for the fella calving down and holding the animal to finishing, the replacement cost isn't an issue. Depends on your system.

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »
    There is right and wrong in this one depending on your system. Bob is right as his system is based on a continuous cycle of buying cattle for a 100 day finishing period. The replacement cost is thus important. Whereas for the fella calving down and holding the animal to finishing, the replacement cost isn't an issue. Depends on your system.

yip for anyone buying animal it replacement costs irrespective on the length of time there kept. Most animals being bought at the moment will be here for up to 9 months. If your breeding the higher the beef price the better

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement