Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Very few if any farmers would survive on the margin that beef factories make. Only they operate such an efficient business with high turnover and low margin that leaves them money. Efficiencies at farm level are a joke, looking at beef farming as a whole such massive savings could be made. Look inwards and hope things are good outwards as you can affect that. This price fall has being coming for a few weeks now. get used to it.

3.75 is still my view for the back end, as I think market conditions will dictate such a price.

Bob market conditions never dictated price in Ireland it always was supply and always will be. If factories have 1 animal too many they will pull prices. What you are seeing at present is the factories getting a few extra cattle due to the bad weather and useing it to pull prices and they scaremonger at the same time. When you say the price fall has being coming for a few weeks what you mean is that the factories have being cribing about the price they have paid for cattle since early june as normally they woul;d have being pulling prices since then in a normal year as grass cattle come fit.

However this year this has not being an option as the cattle were not there and thrive has been poor during late April and June. The factories are contracting to finishers for the fall at a price that is allowing them to pay 2.5/kg live for store bulls. However they will try if they have too many cattle to use them to pull prices.

My own guess is a base of at least 4 euro right through the year with blips above and below depending on how tight supply is. Below 25k cattle/week above 4 euros and above 25K cattle/week below 4 euros and it may be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Well did anyone kill anything this week?
    Store cattle appear to be back well in the mart but I was wondering if the factories were successful in pulling them much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

huey1975 wrote: »
    Well did anyone kill anything this week?
    Store cattle appear to be back well in the mart but I was wondering if the factories were successful in pulling them much?

prices paid are back about 5c to 10c in bullocks/bulls. I had no heifers out the gate so don't know about them. Got a boll*cking for killing a few more animals than what I had booked in, as factories hope to buy animals cheaper next week. I consider cattle bought in the last two weeks as value and most of the time bidding only against the auctioneer

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭locha

Just off phone with some reps.. Liffey next week NO quote, will be back to me on Monday morning...

Steers - Moyvelley "in or around 4.05 R's and will get back to you on O's"
    They are trying to turn the screw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭dealerman

abp and dawn down south going to quote 3.95 for blks and 4.05 for heifers
    factories going to rack em and stack em and buy em less factories not killing any big numbers killing a a couple a hundred less in each factory so more for next and getting sticky with numbers if you have more than booked

• Advertisement

think its time for small sellers to go back to the live ring as some of the prices quoted there are taking the mick

think its time for small sellers to go back to the live ring as some of the prices quoted there are taking the mick
    Yeah bob they should go to the mart and get screwed by the likes of you. It would be so much more fulfilling than getting screwed by Larry G! Most finished cattle at the marts get divided up outside by a few select customers and most times the "small seller" goes home with a small cheque and a sore hole!

Yeah bob they should go to the mart and get screwed by the likes of you. It would be so much more fulfilling than getting screwed by Larry G! Most finished cattle at the marts get divided up outside by a few select customers and most times the "small seller" goes home with a small cheque and a sore hole!

yip, thanks for personal insult. Seems you have a very free market off to a T there. Not long ago people were moaning they couldn't buy cattle as the regular buyers were running them into serious prices. Some of you guys can't make up your mind either way. Certainly over the last 6 months cattle sold live have made as much if not more sold live. Remember you don't have to sell your animals at the mart if your not happy with the price. I would like to see the state of play if all the big feeders closed up in the morning. I know who would be rubbing their hands in glee. Also its great the way people think there is such a love feast between regular cattle buyers.

yip, thanks for personal insult. Seems you have a very free market off to a T there. Not long ago people were moaning they couldn't buy cattle as the regular buyers were running them into serious prices. Some of you guys can't make up your mind either way. Certainly over the last 6 months cattle sold live have made as much if not more sold live. Remember you don't have to sell your animals at the mart if your not happy with the price. I would like to see the state of play if all the big feeders closed up in the morning. I know who would be rubbing their hands in glee. Also its great the way people think there is such a love feast between regular cattle buyers.

I think I recall a few months back on a thread about Icbf you were very worried that some farmers might find out that you were making a mint from killing their produce after keeping them for a couple of days.

I think I recall a few months back on a thread about Icbf you were very worried that some farmers might find out that you were making a mint from killing their produce after keeping them for a couple of days.

No, what I said was that people might come to a rash judgement about the margin that a finisher needs, without know another businesses costs. all my animals being bought are being fed for around a 100days. Each to their own and maybe you should get involved in buying animals and as you say "make a mint"

• Advertisement

So bob come on and tell us how much per kilo are you getting? Now no more of this " oh 15 cent a kilo less than last week" we all want to know do ye big farmers have contracts guaranteeing 20 cents a kilo more than the base quotes or how can one man buy a beef animal in the mart and pay commission and haulage and make it worth his while and give the seller in the mart more than he would get in the factory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

So bob come on and tell us how much per kilo are you getting? Now no more of this " oh 15 cent a kilo less than last week" we all want to know do ye big farmers have contracts guaranteeing 20 cents a kilo more than the base quotes or how can one man buy a beef animal in the mart and pay commission and haulage and make it worth his while and give the seller in the mart more than he would get in the factory?

As Pee Flynn said, try it some time!

If you are not happy with your price in the mart, then finish them and see your costs.

I wish I had a contract guaranteeing 20 cents above base price, nothing near unfortunately. Taking your figures I would be €65k a year better off if you were buying my animals!!! We work on efficiencies when finishing to try and make our money, trying to buy animals that will give a good lwg and compensatory growth, and not the end price.

I wish I had a contract guaranteeing 20 cents above base price, nothing near unfortunately. Taking your figures I would be €65k a year better off if you were buying my animals!!! We work on efficiencies when finishing to try and make our money, trying to buy animals that will give a good lag and compensatory growth, and not the end price.[/Quote]

So bob as this is a beef price tracker thread is there any chance you might enlighten us as to how much per kilo you got this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

In fairness to Bob or any other finisher dealing in numbers, they commit to having x amount of cattle finished either weekly, monthly or whatever, the factory is a business and they need security of supply so they are prepared to pay a bit extra for that security , business is business its not personal.
    I finish the bull calves to beef but I dont have numbers, 50 cows = 25 bulls things goin right.
    Bob goes out and buys cattle that look like they will go on well but I am sure he gets some that dont, and leave little or nothing ,thats the skill of the buyer and the roll of the dice, now if he can get a bit more for his product because he has numbers, and buy his meal a bit cheaper because he is buying tonnage then I say more power to him,crack on.
    There are buyers groups for reducing the cost of farm inputs, would a sellers group work???

bob your gas you remind me of oliver mc donnell when he was in the farming indo
    but seriously why do people think that some people are getting 20 cents a kilo more all year round for a continous supply it is pure ****e talk

dealerman wrote: »
    bob your gas you remind me of oliver mc donnell when he was in the farming indo

How do you know I have four sons, two milking 250 cows separately and the younger two boys 7 and 9 rear 800 calves to beef. This week I'm using the later "insert product name here/send the endorsement money on aswell" on my bullocks

I asked bob a question if he was getting 20cent more. He has posted about 10 times on this thread and never said what he is getting. He has told us that the outlook for beef is poor however, and the small farmer shouldn't sell his cattle to the big bad exploitative factories but should bring them to the mart where there are lots of crazy men fighting tooth and nail to buy these cattle at inflated prices even though they are getting pretty much the same thing as the rest of us from the factory

think you answered your own question marts there is
    crazy men
    fighting men
    and inflated prices

So some finishers are buying fat cattle and fat cows to kill within days to loose money two days a week every week ?? Not as shrewd as I had em down for.

• Advertisement

okay look at it this way, say the factory pays a base price to a man with 10 animals, a guy with 3 animals is paid base price minus 3c a kilo, a guy with 30 cattle gets base price plus 3c a kilo a guy with 60 gets base plus 6c a kilo. Taking the above as example it probably isn't too far out, but I might be way off the mark. I am buying cattle against guys slaughtering 200 cattle a week, I know well that these boys are getting more than I am and rightly so. This man can afford to outbid me nearly every time if he wants and have the same margin as me. He would also be able to pay a guy with 5 animals more than he would get if the 5 went direct for slaughter. simples-I think. The factory tables in the IFJ are very close to what 99% of guys are making of there animals. There are very few guys slaughtering over 100 animals a week who would be outside this price range.

I keep saying that factories margin isn't all that big, something around 1.7% to 2.3% of turnover, but turnover is massive therefore larry goodman makes allot of money in a low margin business. Kerry once of the most successful Agri business firms in the world tried and failed operating in the beef market in Ireland and many more besides. Guys should concentrate on doing the things they have within their control (LWG etc)and stop worrying about things not within their control (beef price). I know a few guys and all you ever hear from them is they got screwed doing business with from the dentist to the merchant to the vet, everyone has to make a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I really don't get this hate for the finishing lads.They aren't making a 'mint' either.There's no one from farm to fork[except maybe supermarkets] making big money from cattle, the value just isn't in it.

There's probably more per head from selling off your weanlings and pocketing the money.The next man n line has to pay you and the costs for raising him and the drop 1-2 tonnes of meal into him to finish for the factory and then depending on what mood the market/factory is in that week take his price.

And let's be honest at some point it is in a factorys interest to have a steady supply of grade X carcasses per week as a baseline for supply.Otherwise their prices would fluctuate with the amount of cattle booked in every week.TBH if i was feeding 100 + cattle and had over 100k staring out the feeder at me,i'd want something for it as well.The canvenience for the factory of having one man to pay is probably worht an extra premium per head[Im guessing,i don't exactly know how they do it]

it's just buying power, if a factory kill 500 cattle a week and a wee farmer comes in with 2-3 heifers,he takes what he gets.If another man is reliable bringing in 50 a week he's 10% of their supply and has the weight to throw around if they give him sh!te so needles to say any half decent businessman on the factory end knows who to look out for.
    Farming is business after all,no one is out to do favours for no profits

tim04750 wrote: »
    So some finishers are buying fat cattle and fat cows to kill within days to loose money two days a week every week ?? Not as shrewd as I had em down for.

you would be surprised, I need €65 between hammer falling on a cow and final slaughter price to break even if slaughtering within a few days. all you need then is to drop the ramp and see a cow down that has to be skipped and thats another week written off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

dealerman wrote: »
    think you answered your own question marts there is
    crazy men
    fighting men
    and inflated prices

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Lads there are soft sellers and silly buyers in the mart and soft sellers to the factories. At present there are farmers droping cattle into the factory without even asking the price.
    If you have one cull cow or a single stock bull you may do better at the mart. Howeve I have seen people sell cattle in the mart that would do better in the factory. However that is not Bob's fault. The reality is that in any mart you go to there are around 20 lads around the ring (trying to) making a living.

How often at a mart have you seen cattle for sale and no sign of the owner. Or the lad that loads up all his calves (maybe straight off the cows) the week after the high prices and is upset when hw fails to get a good price. And next he will tell you it would not pay him to have his own small box that he could be taking them away in 3 or 4's to sell.

I find it hard to complete with finishers however I have learned not to go into the mart and pick out 2-3 bunches of cattle get screwed buying them and tell someone that ''that is the price of them anyway''. If I cannot see the chance of a profit I will be slow to buy.

Yes most finishers depending on there size will get 6-10 cent when prices are strong and the very big operator will get a contract price. However they will also buy there finishing ration 20-50 euro's/ton better than you or me.With a bull killing 400kgs this is worth between 50-90 euro's between feeding and price and also he may have access to beet or be able to handle bread meal/buiscuit meal.

I heard of a lad that was processing a lot of spuds and vegetables for resturants/catering contractors, he had a lot of potato's/veg peelings and rejects, he had two pens of bulls all year around.

Also most finishers will get discounts from vets, buy there animal medicines in advance ( not get caught the morning of the test and rush to the co-op for a bottle of ivermectin).

Like bob says there are thing in our control use them

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭locha

Thread seems to have got a little away from the actual pricing but interesting nonetheless. Ended up getting 410 for R's and 400 for O's - all steers. Interesting to see how the next few weeks pan out. Last Monday carnaross was back at least 100 a head for 550kg +... there were no farmers there and the boys were diviying them up as they wanted...

locha wrote: »
    Thread seems to have got a little away from the actual pricing but interesting nonetheless. Ended up getting 410 for R's and 400 for O's - all steers. Interesting to see how the next few weeks pan out. Last Monday carnaross was back at least 100 a head for 550kg +... there were no farmers there and the boys were diviying them up as they wanted...

+1

locha wrote: »

lucky so, there are a few boys around to put a floor in the market, where is everyone who wanted to buy cattle for love or money over the last few weeks gone to. Most of the cattle bought last week were bought against only the auctioneer so prices were artificially inflated but this won't last for long unless conditions improve. Too many losses being carried me thinks by the big boys, there all gone very quite, suppose buying wheat at €280 a ton will take its toll quickly.

Quote this morning for young bulls
    U's 4.20
    R's 4.10
    Dawn meats Rathdowney, but they're not taking anymore this week, full up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Got return of animals I sent away on the 12th. For angus got 4.25 for o's 4.35 for r's they avg 355kgs
    Lim 4.25 for r n 4.15 for o's avg 375kgs
    Cows p's 3.65 kg

I thing it's not a bad return

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement