Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Footvax

Options
  • 20-11-2015 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭

Just wondering do many of ye use Footvax to prevent footrot and if ye do how do ye find it and when is the best time to use it ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Sami23 wrote: »
    Just wondering do many of ye use Footvax to prevent footrot and if ye do how do ye find it and when is the best time to use it ?
    Thanks

I've used it, ewes that lambed at Christmas would be in with the lambs until march and didn't want the lambs being infected with footrot from the ewes.
    Used it march and September, injection sites were prone to infection and there's wormers that you can't use on the sheep after, the reaction will kill the sheep. It does work but I don't use it on march lambers. Regular footbathing works just as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

rangler1 wrote: »
    I've used it, ewes that lambed at Christmas would be in with the lambs until march and didn't want the lambs being infected with footrot from the ewes.
    Used it march and September, injection sites were prone to infection and there's wormers that you can't use on the sheep after, the reaction will kill the sheep. It does work but I don't use it on march lambers. Regular footbathing works just as well

O right, think I'll give it a miss so.
    As regards the footbathing what setup do u have as I have never done it yet myself. Would I b able to work it in a cattle crush for example ?

Sami23 wrote: »
    O right, think I'll give it a miss so.
    As regards the footbathing what setup do u have as I have never done it yet myself. Would I b able to work it in a cattle crush for example ?

Very hard to get sheep into a long narrow footbath, especiall with lambs.
    I dug a hole in the yard and concreted it, 12ft by 10ft by 6 ins deep and the ewes bring the lambs into it but it costs too much to fill for a small flock, it take €80 worth of zinc sulphate, but I'd often put over 1000 sheep through it before I'd clean it out.
    CormacTuam sell a galvanise batch footbath, about 8ft by 4ft with 30ins sides all round, works alright with zinc sulphate but rusts like hell with copper sulphate, maybe someone here has experience of using it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Does the injection site just die a lump rangler or does it rupture?

• Advertisement

Willfarman wrote: »
    Does the injection site just die a lump rangler or does it rupture?

I've seen it do both, maybe they scratch it. I suppose I used the wrong word, it's more an allergic reaction than an infection and it reacts more with some sheep than others. It's important to inject them high up on the neck for that reason, ie avoiding the carcase.
    We used the sterimatic syringe, (the needle goes through a disinfectant sponge between every sheep) and lately haven't as much lumps..that could be just coincidental

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I find it works well enough. Don't inject yerself with it. Causes serious pain and swelling

Advertisement