Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most costly mistake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Not a fan of Blue power I take it?;)
    Prefer Massey's tbh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Base price wrote: »
    Prefer Massey's tbh :)

Good woman yerself

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭grange mac

Has to be draining a bog field...10 acres had big open drain through i, spoke to digger guy and asked how many loads stone it would take...reckoned 4 or 5 told him do proper job and work away....took missus to Dublin for wknd...came back 23 loads stone it took...3 years later back to square1 as stone filled to top and not underneath so pipe sank under the weight.....5k on stone!!! Now just redug section around soft patch and tapped into pipe again...2 loads stone...terram around drain walls and much better job myself & different planthire man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

grange mac wrote: »
    Has to be draining a bog field...10 acres had big open drain through i, spoke to digger guy and asked how many loads stone it would take...reckoned 4 or 5 told him do proper job and work away....took missus to Dublin for wknd...came back 23 loads stone it took...3 years later back to square1 as stone filled to top and not underneath so pipe sank under the weight.....5k on stone!!! Now just redug section around soft patch and tapped into pipe again...2 loads stone...terram around drain walls and much better job myself & different planthire man!!

Once all the stone went into your drains and not somewhere else. Some people are great at spotting an opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Once all the stone went into your drains and not somewhere else. Some people are great at spotting an opportunity.

The truck men have to make a pound somehow !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Borrowing money and finishing cattle during one of the BSE years would have to be up there in my top 3 anyway, it was either 2000 or 2001. Had to wait about 2 months to get them killed and they all went off in a skip.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

I've made, and continue to make, many mistakes...
    I started as a young lad in the early 70's buying a white calf in July, that never came to anything. Since then the mistakes have been more disastrous....:)

Still here though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Dozer1

I'm only farming a few years but plenty feck ups already,
    building a slatted shed in year 1 with no grant available(it was needed but since then I bought a farm and I'll probably have to build another 1)

2 PB LM heifers, they were quiet but 1 produced only 1 heifer calf and was culled and the 2nd one ain't producing anything better than my own cows

missing out on the Installation aid like plenty more

biggest learning and cost has been when to sell cattle, my dad would give them away to any bidder, and we used to sell them too light. Costs too much carrying a cow to be selling cheap weanlings

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

Accountant made a huge f*** up with my accounts a few years back. Long story short after searching down every avenue i could to try to rectify the situation I had to pay for the mistake HE made on my accounts and pay out €25,000. He knew he was at fault and said 'i don't know what to say to u im sorry' needless to say i havn't seen or dealt with him since. Right before christmas and all. Such torment i went through. Indemnity insurance my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

RD10 wrote: »
    Accountant made a huge f*** up with my accounts a few years back. Long story short after searching down every avenue i could to try to rectify the situation I had to pay for the mistake HE made on my accounts and pay out €25,000. He knew he was at fault and said 'i don't know what to say to u im sorry' needless to say i havn't seen or dealt with him since. Right before christmas and all. Such torment i went through. Indemnity insurance my arse.
    my accountant made a mistake and put my tax through twice, so the money came out twice, he came out with crap like if i could afford to give you the money I would....... Last time I dealt with him as a previous error resulted in a revenue audit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

RD10 wrote: »

The bigger my accountant s business becomes the more he delegates to his trainees etc.
    Have picked him up on something 2 years in a row now. Will have a sit down now that the dust has settled post tax returns .

It knocks your confidence in the service your getting when you can pick up something glaringly obvious, what are you missing that you don't understand.

I presume its the same declaration you sign to assume all responsibility for the figures regarding tax return that gives the accountant a get out of jail card for any f@#$ ups in arriving at the those figures.

Keeping in with this lad might be he biggest mistake I'll make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

whelan2 wrote: »
    my accountant made a mistake and put my tax through twice, so the money came out twice, he came out with crap like if i could afford to give you the money I would....... Last time I dealt with him as a previous error resulted in a revenue audit

Do you not have any comeback in that situation Whelan?

Is there some kinda accountant society that you can take that to?

Do you not have any comeback in that situation Whelan?

Is there some kinda accountant society that you can take that to?
    Was a few years ago now, I was very annoyed at the time, have just calmed down now. My dad still deals with him and he still finds things he does wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Did you not get refund from a Revenue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Lakill might help ye out

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

Its a Very stressful, frightening and worrying situation to be in. In the end i just wanted to get it paid and out of the way, i was afraid revenue might find something else and i'd have to fork out thousands more. And believe me it was a struggle to come up with that amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

Just saw a lad from Thailand miss the last black off it's spot to make a 147 break in the UK snooker championship.
    It cost him £44,000.

Did you not get refund from a Revenue?

I did. Took about 7-10 days but had loan repayments etc to come out in the mean time. Whole situation was totally avoidable. Was very lucky in that milk cheque came in when the double money came out, so it just about covered the tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭memorystick

Did you pay your accountant that year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Would've been filling the tractor full of diesel straight into the coolant tank if I hadn't of realised something wasn't quite right when I turned the key with the fuel needle not moving and the smoke.

To be fair, thought it was a ridiculously small fuel tank in the first place. Stupid is as stupid does Forrest Gump said.

• Advertisement

Did you pay your accountant that year?
    insurance paid the audit fees less vat. I didnt pay the full bill for that year.Got a fair discount as other members of the firm had been doing work on farm transfer etc.Otherwise I would have paid nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Property and shares, selling 2000 kerry group shares in 2006 for 40000 to buy a house for 250000 today tthe house is valued at 150000 and the shares if I had them would be worth 160000 so ye can do the maths on that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

kerryjack wrote: »
    Property and shares, selling 2000 kerry group shares in 2006 for 40000 to buy a house for 250000 today tthe house is valued at 150000 and the shares if I had them would be worth 160000 so ye can do the maths on that one
    Sold most of the Kerry plc shares at €15 back in 09 for farm buildings,realise now that was a extremely costly mistake as they are €75 now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Heard of a guy that sold some land for development. Got about a million euro. On the advice of the bank, converting it all into bank shares. Shares nose dived. Then the revenue came after him for capital gains on the sale of the land. He had to borrow to pay them. Ouch!!!!

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

kerryjack wrote: »

I wouldn't say you were the only one, at least the kerry shares were worth something, I can't ever imagine arrabawn shares making €75 a pop.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

I said wrote: »
    Lakill might help ye out

It's lakill that she's complaining about........

No offence to lakill ment

naughto wrote: »
    It's lakill that she's complaining about........

No offence to lakill ment
    No its not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Heard of a guy that sold some land for development. Got about a million euro. On the advice of the bank, converting it all into bank shares. Shares nose dived. Then the revenue came after him for capital gains on the sale of the land. He had to borrow to pay them. Ouch!!!!

On the flip side to that. Local farmer sold field on the edge of our town for 3.6m in 06 and bought it back for 550k in 2011!!

On the flip side to that. Local farmer sold field on the edge of our town for 3.6m in 06 and bought it back for 550k in 2011!!
    How would that work out tax wise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

How would that work out tax wise?

Don't know but he'd still be on right side of filthy rich

Advertisement