Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Genealogy Report

• 05-05-2021 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for some guidance on the planned genealogy report for my grandfather.
    All feedback and guidance is appreciated and requested.

I have been digging into my family genealogy for over three years now, it was inspired by some chats with my grandfather where he said he'd love to know more about the family line. I started digging and got hooked. He happily did an AncestryDNA test which has helped somewhat.

He's soon to be 81 and I'd love to put together a presentation booklet of all the family bits.
    I was planning something along the following content.
    - His ethnicity results (Ancestry & ftDNA) map & area description
    - DNA relatives (Ancestry & ftDNA)
    - Family tree (small/pedigree)
    - Family tree (large/cousins etc)
    - Close family census records
    - Maps of relatives I have linked to Griffith Valuations
    - Some old vs. new maps of hometown (using archaeology.ie map viewer)
    - Petty session (& transcripts)

I have alot of this already researched.
    If there is anything you think I should include, please let me know.
    But I am aware that this may begin to look cluttered if I include too much

If anyone has done something similar, and wouldn't mind giving me a template or guidance on how best to lay it out I'd be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I would say less is more - don't overwhelm him.

Break the text up with images, i.e. snip the line of a birth record and paste it into the text.

Also transcribe the censuses - people find old handwriting hard.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From the buildings description on the census you can sometimes write a pen picture of what a house or farm was like - piggeries, dairies, numbers of families in the one house etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Good points, thanks.
    I have his tree on ancestry but can't find any option to print the tree in a printer friendly way.
    Are there any options for this in other sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 paumurp

Any old newspaper reports that might feature some of family members - might describe petty session appearences, or if sporty, reports on games in local papers. I had a couple of deaths that were unusual enough to warrant a write up in local or national papers. The descriptions of the people in question were great.

including images of certs, census transcripts etc the pages can soon add up, but a good mix of images and text as mentioned already, is probably the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

In terms of a template, I couldn't find much online.
    Am I calling it the wrong thing, would there be a better name for what I want to do?
    If anyone has anything I can reference as a template or an example that would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I like the idea of a 'photobook' that you can design yourself using your various 'finds'. You could include some narrative or just have the sources speak for themselves such as a census form as background and a photo overlaid or photo of the house? Maybe a birth cert with photo of parents on same page? You can order just one copy of the book or as many as you like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rmulvany wrote: »
    In terms of a template, I couldn't find much online.
    Am I calling it the wrong thing, would there be a better name for what I want to do?
    If anyone has anything I can reference as a template or an example that would be great.

https://freefamilytreetemplates.com/ has a few options, depending on how many generations you can fill.

It's the sideways branches - aunts uncles and their children that make printing things difficult. Perhaps the main 'pedigree' on one chart and the extras on family sheets, with parents, their children and the spouses if any?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I have done photobooks for my children, nephew and nieces and my siblings. The focus in them was to inform them about previous generations as the youngest three of the next generation wouldn't have remembered/known my parents.

So I put in family photos of all the next generation down, of my generation, of my parents as children with their siblings and parents, of my grandparents and I even managed to have a photo of my greatgrandmother. I have my parents' engagement photos and my parents' and grandparents' wedding photos in it. I also put in the marriage certs for my grandparents and the census records (where appropriate) for 1901 and 1911.

I wrote the stories of two 'events/happenings', one about my maternal grandmother and one about my paternal grandparents.

At the back, I listed the 'official' details back five generations on one side and four on the other.

The are far more photos in it than text - a picture paints a 1000 words!

The eldest of the next generation, who was 30 when I gave it to him, said it was the best Christmas present he had ever got. He is now the father of two children and lives abroad so at least, he now has a way of showing them who he 'really' is!

I gave gifts of 7 photobooks in all - one each for my two siblings which included photos of their own spouse and children (but not any family tree etc for the 'in-law' side), one each for the nephew /niece (brother and sister) but using different photos which highlighted him or her, and then three (all the same) for my children and the youngest niece - I was running out of time and energy by then! But they worked a treat and I am so proud of the books!

Good luck to the OP with your work. Remember - your book will record that information for future generations too - it won't be just for your grandfather.

Advertisement